Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,380 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in University City area and I am debating between two different commuter options and I was hoping I could get some input to help decide. I will be getting to work around 6:30am and leaving around 3:30pm.

1) Drive to Cherry Hill Station and ride the Atlantic Rail Line to 30th St Station and walk 1 mile. (I am estimating this whole process would take about 1 hr and a half, but probably the cheapest option)

2) Drive to the Campus Park and Ride and take their shuttle to work (More expensive for monthly parking and tolls)

What I am struggling with is trying to figure out how bad traffic will be at these times of day. I would rather pay a little more to save on commute time, but if both options take the same time I'd rather just go with the train option. I would really appreciate the input and if anyone has any additional suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM

691 posts, read 3,049,137 times
If you are getting to work by 6:30am, it will be quicker to drive since there is not much traffic on the roads at that time. Afternoon will take longer but you will still beat the majority of rush hour traffic. Where exactly is the Campus Park & Ride located?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,863,694 times
That early in the morning, the majority of the traffic you are dealing with are constructions people going to work. I've driven from R73 of Marlton to 30th street station that early in the morning and it's less than 30 minutes.

Whether you drive or take transit. Check with HR about commuter transit checks or pre-tax for parking.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowislandhigh View Post
I just got a job in University City area and I am debating between two different commuter options and I was hoping I could get some input to help decide. I will be getting to work around 6:30am and leaving around 3:30pm.

1) Drive to Cherry Hill Station and ride the Atlantic Rail Line to 30th St Station and walk 1 mile. (I am estimating this whole process would take about 1 hr and a half, but probably the cheapest option)

2) Drive to the Campus Park and Ride and take their shuttle to work (More expensive for monthly parking and tolls)

What I am struggling with is trying to figure out how bad traffic will be at these times of day. I would rather pay a little more to save on commute time, but if both options take the same time I'd rather just go with the train option. I would really appreciate the input and if anyone has any additional suggestions. Thanks.
First, just so you don't embarrass yourself, in real life, there is no University City, PA. University City is an area in the City of Philadelphia.

You can take PATCO to 8th & Market & transfer to the Market Street subway to 30th St station.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,380 times
Hey thanks for the tips. The Campus Park and Ride is located at 1600 S Warfield St Philadelphia, PA 19145 ‎and the shuttle should take about 5 min once I hop on one. Do any of you know any other parking garages that is pretty affordable near Children's Hospital? I think I will go with the driving option since it sounds like traffic won't be outrageous.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,469,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowislandhigh View Post
Hey thanks for the tips. The Campus Park and Ride is located at 1600 S Warfield St Philadelphia, PA 19145 ‎and the shuttle should take about 5 min once I hop on one. Do any of you know any other parking garages that is pretty affordable near Children's Hospital? I think I will go with the driving option since it sounds like traffic won't be outrageous.
The most affordable one I know of that is "sort of" near CHOP is the Central Parking garage at 39th and Market. It is near Presbyterian Hospital and the rate is around $10/$11 daily with entrance before 9am. I believe their monthly rate is around $160, which works out to around $8 a day. You're about a 5-6 block walk to UPenn from there and around 8 blocks to CHOP. There are garages at CHOP, but they are all much more expensive unless you are a patient and the the guards tend to restrict entry unless you have business at CHOP.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 AM

155 posts, read 370,142 times
If you are really going to be at work at 6:30, driving in wouldn't be an issue at all.
The campus park and ride is a little bit of a hassle IMO.

Leaving at 3:30, you will hit some traffic around 30th Street and 676 until you get to the BFB, but after that, it shouldn't be too bad.

There is a garage right around 34th and Market which I believe is currently at $11/day.

If you do the PATCO to 8th and then subway, take the subway to 34th and walk down 34th (it's what I do). It's a little closer to the CHOP area than 30th Street. Assuming you are shooting for the HUP/CHOP/UPenn area.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,187,627 times
You can try the Drexel parking garage at 34th and Market (entrance at 34th and Ludlow). It's a bit of a hike to CHOP, but last time I used it, the price was reasonable (I think $12 or less).

Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,863,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
You can try the Drexel parking garage at 34th and Market (entrance at 34th and Ludlow). It's a bit of a hike to CHOP, but last time I used it, the price was reasonable (I think $12 or less).

The G lot at Drexel is up to $13/day now.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 10,447 times
where are you working in University City?

you should look into commuter vanpooling. there are a few that travel to UPenn, and it is easy to have a vanpool company work with your employer to get one set up for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia