Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseygrl351 View Post
I actually have lived in Voorhees for 9 years. My husband and I liked being close to the shore and within 30 minutes to Philly. However, we are very disappointed with the area. The school system is not the greatest. There are a lot of people moving in from Camden and Winslow and effecting the school system as well as the overall area. We are thinking of moving to Mount Laurel or Medford. Much nicer, cleaner, excellent school system. I just have to say, stay out of Voorhees. High taxes, toxic landfill in the majority of the town and many old buildings just sitting empty.
Eastern Regional consistently ranks better than Shawnee and Lenape...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM

26 posts, read 70,702 times
Just got word that Ceder Hill Plaza is expanding, with a new strip being build in front of the Lowes. Starbucks is the only confirmed tenant. There's also talk that Fridays may build in the plaza, as well at a Future Fitness in the vacant space next to Sleepy's.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseygrl351 View Post
I actually have lived in Voorhees for 9 years. My husband and I liked being close to the shore and within 30 minutes to Philly. However, we are very disappointed with the area. The school system is not the greatest. There are a lot of people moving in from Camden and Winslow and effecting the school system as well as the overall area. We are thinking of moving to Mount Laurel or Medford. Much nicer, cleaner, excellent school system. I just have to say, stay out of Voorhees. High taxes, toxic landfill in the majority of the town and many old buildings just sitting empty.
Give me a break! This provincial attitude is another thing that makes me want to get out of NJ, and move to a city of 800,000 people with different neighborhoods, both urban and suburban. And the fact that it is the same municipality keeps everyone living there open-minded in that sense, because everything is shared.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Give me a break! This provincial attitude is another thing that makes me want to get out of NJ, and move to a city of 800,000 people with different neighborhoods, both urban and suburban. And the fact that it is the same municipality keeps everyone living there open-minded in that sense, because everything is shared.
And what municipality might that be?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And what municipality might that be?
Columbus, Ohio

Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Columbus, Ohio
I have a hard time believing that the elites don't cordon themselves off from the poor and downtrodden like every other major American city.

Edit: and so it goes...
http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...ps-2013-4?op=1
http://m.theatlanticcities.com/neigh...one-else/8768/

I don't mean to pick on Columbus. As I said before, pretty much every place has this problem (basically a question of "bad vs. worse").

That said, I wish you the best and hope Columbus has what you're looking for.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:26 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I have a hard time believing that the elites don't cordon themselves off from the poor and downtrodden like every other major American city.

Edit: and so it goes...
Most Segregated Cities Census Maps - Business Insider
The U.S. Cities Where the Rich Are Most Segregated From Everyone Else - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

I don't mean to pick on Columbus. As I said before, pretty much every place has this problem (basically a question of "bad vs. worse").

That said, I wish you the best and hope Columbus has what you're looking for.
That business insider article is really interesting, though I would have liked to have seen an example of a non-segregated city, it seemed like it was just a list of big cities and where their populations live. I acutally though Newark's Ironbound, North ward, and Kearny/Harrison looked pretty diverse. Philly's divide is very stark, and Boston is super-white.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
That business insider article is really interesting, though I would have liked to have seen an example of a non-segregated city, it seemed like it was just a list of big cities and where their populations live. I acutally though Newark's Ironbound, North ward, and Kearny/Harrison looked pretty diverse. Philly's divide is very stark, and Boston is super-white.
Even cities that appear "non-segregated" from a distance are often still divided census block by census block.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
Old news by 6 months, but SpringHill Suites opened in the Echelon section of Voorhees near the Ritz theater. It's competing against the Hampton Inn. It opened last December.

Marriott's site lists it as "SpringHill Suites Voorhees Mt. Laurel/Cherry Hill". How is Mt.Laurel even remotely near this site? They might as well put Hammonton/Turnersville/Vineland/Philadelphia/Mt.Holly in it as well.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...l-cherry-hill/

Yet, that Genuardi's and it's center, and Bally's building remained dead as can be on White Horse Rd. Even though 70 has a lot of dead retail, White Horse is a smaller road to have that much dead space.

The Genuardi's was a Superfresh and it experienced a rather long dead period in between tenancies in the past as well, although the brick facade and everything happened right before Genuardi's tenure. That center became vibrant again only for Genuardi's to cease. I think a Whole Foods would be popular, and there is enough HH and visiting traffic from the hotels and Comcast to support it. Maybe Whole Foods or the like would participate in the Shop Voorhees program as well, for Voorhees houseowners. The Bally's building should probably be demolished to encourage businesses to consider the site as a blank slate to build something and open.

Voorhees does have the Virtua gym which is nice, a mall with a Macy's and Boscov's, nice restaurants, county library, close accessibility to PATCO, two nearby movie theaters, businesses and hotels, but maybe a gourmet grocery store and an entertainment complex would offer a more full package. Marlton is also very closeby for additional stores and restaurants, and Moorestown and Cherry Hill aren't too far either. Perhaps the abundance of apartment homes is resulting in lower rents and some movement from people coming in from Camden however.

Last edited by avg12; 05-12-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM

26 posts, read 70,702 times
The Diamond Diner on 73, next to Library II is now the Voorhees Diner. It looks like it's in the finishing stages. Not sure when it's going to open. There's also a new hotel (that was built in what seemed to be only a week!) that is up and running, in the same parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia