Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 AM

592 posts, read 1,470,695 times

Advertisements

I am a hack golfer... i am not getting a membership... this year!

But a recent conversation with friends about golfing turned into:
"What is the best membership value in South Jersey? Balance of inexpensive, course quality, and amenities?"

We were googling on our smartphones to get rates. Some courses dont publicize.
Some also offer associate deals, like the beautiful Scotland run which for $500 gets discounted fees.

There's also the option of pure public play.... just pay the inexpensive greens fees and its a good course.

Anyway was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM

155 posts, read 370,572 times
Great question. I've wondered that myself although I haven't checked into it recently.

I was always intrigued by Harbor Pines membership options. They offer one day a week memberships and things like that.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
I was always intrigued by Harbor Pines membership options. They offer one day a week memberships and things like that.
thanks for the suggestion! I will look into that.

Although my thoughts have moved on to compiling a list of budget priced courses that aren't awful. hah

Considering how much I'll really golf right now (as I build my hack skills to advanced hack) its tough to justify a membership, which i knew. But even my friends who golf more often... Considering there are $30 options out there (pitman) you'd have to really be playing a LOT to make a full membership worthwhile comparing solely to greens fees alone.

Plus being a "free agent" makes it more open to try different courses.

Maybe for a retired person who golfs several times a week, or simply those who want the feeling of "belonging" then a membership makes sense.

I feel a blog post coming soon... .

Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,923,301 times
Quote:
Great question. I've wondered that myself although I haven't checked into it recently.

Harbor Pines is a crap layout that has the saving grace of being well-manicured. My grandparents tried it for a season, then immediately switched back to Linwood.

I think Links GC in Marlton is jonesing for members. Layout is ok.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Harbor Pines is a crap layout that has the saving grace of being well-manicured. My grandparents tried it for a season, then immediately switched back to Linwood.

I think Links GC in Marlton is jonesing for members. Layout is ok.

Interesting. I've only been there a couple of times and actually only played it once. The one thing I remember about it was there were a LOT of bugs. I don't remember the layout specifically to have an opinion.

We were there for a wedding and I was looking at the membership options and I always thought that was a great idea as far having those type of membership options.......

Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,923,301 times
Quote:
Interesting. I've only been there a couple of times and actually only played it once. The one thing I remember about it was there were a LOT of bugs. I don't remember the layout specifically to have an opinion.

We were there for a wedding and I was looking at the membership options and I always thought that was a great idea as far having those type of membership options.......
I don't remember it being too bad when it comes to bugs--certainly not like Seaview. Then again, I've been playing shore courses since I was a wee lad, so my standards are probably not the norm!

I believe that Ballamor, which is just down the road from Harbor Pines (lots of courses on Ocean Heights Avenue, as a matter of fact) is similarly priced and much higher in quality.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM

I played Ballamor once and if I remember correctly, it is where I got a tick on my back. That's what you get for being everywhere but the fairways.

It used to be private, so it should be a really nice course.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Ballamor and Scotland Run are dual membership...
And I love everything about Scotland Run

but still not cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia