Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:51 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Mount Laurel (five minutes from Cherry Hill) easily have basements - I know I live there. Five bedroom homes? No problem. That sounds like Old Ramblewood Section of Ramblewood country Club area.....You are three minutes from NJ turnpike or 295; 25 minutes by car to Philadelphia which will really expand your IT job prospects....
There are basements in Cherry Hill, but many take on water. There are houses with a 5th bedroom added on, too. That doesn't mean that they're in the same house though. There are houses in a number of developments in Cherry Hill w/a den that could be used as an office, though.

If the OP wants 5 bedrooms Haddon Heights will have a higher percentage. A lot of those houses also have dry basements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:01 PM

592 posts, read 1,469,399 times
Typically...
the further you go away from Philadelphia and Camden, the better your chances are of finding large properties and larger houses. Well outside of Camden Countu

Gloucester County and Burlington County start blending into the larger properties, and newer homes.... all still very accessible to Philadelphia.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,249,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readygo View Post
Hi folks,

We're on Long Island and considering a move to South Jersey, North Carolina, Austin, or Colorado. I work in IT and would need to find a job first, and the job would determine the final destination, but I've been told by some acquaintences in Jersey that finding work would be relatively easy given my skillset. We would prefer to be "close" to family on the east coast (NY, NJ, and even Florida), so South Jersey would be our first choice.

I've been told that the Cherry Hill area would be suitable, though I'd actually prefer slightly more rural (my other half is fine with the burbs). We're a family of 5 (kids are 5 and under), so i was looking for feedback regarding schools and housing costs relative to sizes. We are also looking for an area where there are plenty of activities for the kids (e.g. gymnastics, dance, karate, soccer, etc). We're currently in a 6br house (though no basement) about 2500 sq ft with on a 6k sq foot lot. The house is valued at around 450-500k. We'd be looking for a similar sized house with a slightly larger property, though 5br would likely be suitable if there were a basement. I'd actually prefer to spend less on the house, itself, so the range would be around $300k. Our property and school taxes are around 13k. As to schools, I've been told Haddon Heights and Haddonfield would be the best in the area, but obviously i might not find real estate with the specifications I'm looking for and in the desired price range given the school systems. It would be helpful if people could provide feedback on areas other than Haddonfield and Haddon Heights.

Thanks in advance for your help.
you may want to check out Gloucester county in areas like glass pro or mantua or harrionson two. $300000? That's going to be hard. Had downfield is expensive. Perhaps old ramble wood in mt laurel .they have 5 bedroom split level homes but taxes can be $10000. Newer homes the further south you go in south jersey

Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 PM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
I wouldn't buy in Ramblewood. There are are plenty of nice places which can be purchased in Burlington or Gloucester county for less than than that.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:40 PM

122 posts, read 175,345 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

We're on Long Island and considering a move to South Jersey, North Carolina, Austin, or Colorado. I work in IT and would need to find a job first, and the job would determine the final destination.
I think you might find fewer choices in South Jersey for IT. Most of the Philly region IT positions are west of Philly or by Princeton. You maybe disappointed in the commute times from South Jersey to these locations.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 PM

516 posts, read 1,612,282 times
check out Mt. Laurel, Marlton, Voorhees for decent schools and newer housing stock.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 AM

62 posts, read 75,428 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

We're on Long Island and considering a move to South Jersey, North Carolina, Austin, or Colorado. I work in IT and would need to find a job first, and the job would determine the final destination, but I've been told by some acquaintences in Jersey that finding work would be relatively easy given my skillset. We would prefer to be "close" to family on the east coast (NY, NJ, and even Florida), so South Jersey would be our first choice.

I've been told that the Cherry Hill area would be suitable, though I'd actually prefer slightly more rural (my other half is fine with the burbs). We're a family of 5 (kids are 5 and under), so i was looking for feedback regarding schools and housing costs relative to sizes. We are also looking for an area where there are plenty of activities for the kids (e.g. gymnastics, dance, karate, soccer, etc). We're currently in a 6br house (though no basement) about 2500 sq ft with on a 6k sq foot lot. The house is valued at around 450-500k. We'd be looking for a similar sized house with a slightly larger property, though 5br would likely be suitable if there were a basement. I'd actually prefer to spend less on the house, itself, so the range would be around $300k. Our property and school taxes are around 13k. As to schools, I've been told Haddon Heights and Haddonfield would be the best in the area, but obviously i might not find real estate with the specifications I'm looking for and in the desired price range given the school systems. It would be helpful if people could provide feedback on areas other than Haddonfield and Haddon Heights.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Haddonfield is very expensive, I live here. Most houses are gonna be 500+. It is an "old money" dry town. This is where many doctors and lawyers live. Most wives don't work. Houses are beautiful but not much yard unless you live in one of the mansions. Cherry Hill is nice, but as you said is becoming more modern and has the areas most popular mall. 15 minutes away is Medford which is beautiful. It is "classy rural" but borders the more busier areas, so you get the best of both world. Many homes here are woodsy type, log cabins. I would say it is half very expensive, half middle class. Medford Lakes is the premier neighborhood there. But definetly over 500. Washington Township is, IMO, the best well rounded area here. Superb school. Very big. Quiet, and access to everything. It sits off a highway which has everything you need. But is completely suburban once you travel into it. Taxes are high, but you can get a small house to a McMansion. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia