Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM

14 posts, read 22,727 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am moving from FL to PA/NJ (haven't decided yet) to attend Thomas Jefferson University. I have been looking at living in Philly but have recently opened up my search to the NJ side, particularly Collingswood. I have read a lot of threads on here that have recommended the area, and it doesn't seem too bad of a commute to TJU 5 days a week. I do have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer though:

- How good/bad is the parking situation at the PATCO station in Collingswood? I have been looking at places walking distance to the station but wouldn't mind expanding my search a little further if I could feel confident that I wouldn't have a problem with parking each morning. Many of my classes will begin by 9am M-F, so prime morning rush time. In your experience, do you think I'll struggle with parking at this station each morning?

- My next question is pretty general, but I'm just looking for any recommendations for apartment communities in the Collingswood/Cherry Hill area (preferably within a few miles of the PATCO station). I have checked out a couple of them online (Metropolitan - which seems nice but they don't have much availability and the Lumberyard - the reviews online are not so great). Anyone have experience with these places or can recommend any others?

Thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:18 AM

122 posts, read 202,903 times
You are right that the commute isn't bad. You can basically get to TJU in 15-20 minutes.

Parking can be an issue in Collingswood sometimes, but if that happens you can always go 5 minutes down the road to the Westmont stop where there's almost always parking available. For apartments in the area you need to use craigslist or a local realtor. Main Street Realty does a lot of Collingswood apartment listings. I'd check them out.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,128 times
I agree with the above poster. If you find parking is tight at the Collingswood PATCO station, you can easily use the Westmont station which is about a mile down the road and has plenty of parking. It is a very easy commute into Center City taking PATCO - I do it every day. As for apartments, you might want to check out Towers of Windsor in Cherry Hill. We looked at them and they are very spacious and include all utilities. The location is great...close to all the shopping in Cherry Hill and only about a 10 minute ride to the Westmont PATCO station. They have a community pool as well.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 AM

Thank you both for the information! I hadn't even considered the Westmont Station. Since it isn't so far, that may be the station I commute from. Thanks!

I've looked into some places in Cherry Hill and like how much more space I can get than I could have gotten in Philadelphia, so I'm strongly considering a few places there. I did look into Towers of Windsor but unfortunately they don't have any units available with washer/dryer and that's a must for us! Thanks for the recommendation though!

Seems like I'm down to Cherry Hill Towers and Burrough's Mill for now. If anyone has any insight on those, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll still take any recommendations!

Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:48 PM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
You definitely can get more space in NJ, but it also depends on what kind of life you want to have while at TJU. If you want the true city experience, you have one of the best downtown neighborhoods in the US in Center City, Phialdelphia. If space and quiet are more important to you, you may enjoy NJ more. I think if you're in the city, you will find yourself doing more things with classmates and being more social because the on and off-campus opportunities are at your door stop versus a train ride away. That's not to say everyone in NJ is not sociable, it's just you may have to commute to meet up with classmates. If you're more of a homebody (e.g. married, etc.), you may prefer the space and relative convenience of NJ.

Regarding the apartment complex, the Lumberyard is the most walkable option in Collingswood. You can walk to all of the restaurants, coffee shops, and events in Collingswood, plus the complex has a relatively younger population living there. It's a brand new building, and my mom has a condo/townhouse across the street in the older building. It's very nice and a luxury building compared to many of the other things you'll see in the area (because they are older).

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
You definitely can get more space in NJ, but it also depends on what kind of life you want to have while at TJU. If you want the true city experience, you have one of the best downtown neighborhoods in the US in Center City, Phialdelphia. If space and quiet are more important to you, you may enjoy NJ more. I think if you're in the city, you will find yourself doing more things with classmates and being more social because the on and off-campus opportunities are at your door stop versus a train ride away. That's not to say everyone in NJ is not sociable, it's just you may have to commute to meet up with classmates. If you're more of a homebody (e.g. married, etc.), you may prefer the space and relative convenience of NJ.

Regarding the apartment complex, the Lumberyard is the most walkable option in Collingswood. You can walk to all of the restaurants, coffee shops, and events in Collingswood, plus the complex has a relatively younger population living there. It's a brand new building, and my mom has a condo/townhouse across the street in the older building. It's very nice and a luxury building compared to many of the other things you'll see in the area (because they are older).

Good luck.
Thanks so much for the insight! I'm hoping to give NJ a shot (since the price is much cheaper and I am trying to limit how many student loans I take out). I'm still open to both areas however. It seems what it's most going to come down to is price and availability. I'm actually really interested in the Lumberyard despite the online reviews, however it doesn't seem like they have availability for my time frame. They have 1 apartment available in the next month and it's way out of my price range. So I'm still on the hunt, unfortunately.

Thanks so much for your post! Gives me some things to think about

Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
If you aren't locked into complex's, I would suggest looking on craigslist and zillow and there are plently of rowhomes or smaller houses in Collingswood/Westmont that could work for you and save you from possibly driving to train to boot.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia