U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 AM

14,324 posts, read 15,402,782 times

Advertisements

Anything south of Trenton, imo. I grew up on that border, and it is a definite melding of two cultures. North of there, there's more influence from NYC and south of there, there's more influence from Philly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM

2,434 posts, read 1,459,887 times
Medford and Marlton are in the heart of South Jersey, your friend is just plain dead wrong. Using the NJ Turnpike as a guide anything North of Exit 11 is North Jersey, Central Jersey is from 11-7a, 7 and below is South Jersey.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM

238 posts, read 258,031 times
in my mind, anything on the NJTP from exits 1-5 are south jersey. everything from 9-16 is north jersey. between 5 and 8A i would consider central jersey.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 PM

2,434 posts, read 1,459,887 times
Nope exit 7 is Burlington County which is really the top of South Jersey. Exit 9 (New Brunswick) is central so is exit 11 Perth Amboy. So I'm very firm on my Turnpike analysis and I've lived many years in each part of the state.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 PM

29,033 posts, read 28,011,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
in my mind, anything on the NJTP from exits 1-5 are south jersey. everything from 9-16 is north jersey. between 5 and 8A i would consider central jersey.
Exit 7 is south of Bordentown. It's not Central New Jersey.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:56 AM

3,563 posts, read 2,964,225 times
Agree that your friend who said Marlton and Medford are not South Jersey is a major loon. Has he or she actually set foot in those towns?

As for the existence of a Central Jersey, I think people who live in counties like Middlesex do NOT think of themselves as either North or South Jersey, but rather as Central Jersey. (My source is family members who have lived in Central Jersey for a long time.) Central Jersey has a different feel from North Jersey; hard to describe, but drive up and down Route 1 or 18 and you might know what I am trying to say. The towns in Central Jersey have experienced a lot of growth and have traffic that can rival North Jersey, but then again, so have parts of South Jersey.

On a side note, I moved from North Jersey (Bergen) to South Jersey (Gloucester) in the late 70s. It was quite a culture shock to me. LOL NO ONE talked about New York City (or, more properly, "the City"). Everything was about Philly. And the accent was very different. Had to lose that "chawklit and cawfee" accent in a hurry. LOL

Old 08-21-2015, 04:42 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,146,318 times
Take the H2O test:

If people call it "wadda" you're in North Jersey.

If they call it "wudder" you're in South Jersey.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 08-21-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 06:23 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,814,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
...As for the existence of a Central Jersey, I think people who live in counties like Middlesex do NOT think of themselves as either North or South Jersey, but rather as Central Jersey. (My source is family members who have lived in Central Jersey for a long time.) Central Jersey has a different feel from North Jersey; hard to describe, but drive up and down Route 1 or 18 and you might know what I am trying to say. The towns in Central Jersey have experienced a lot of growth and have traffic that can rival North Jersey, but then again, so have parts of South Jersey. ...
Yup, as Central Jerseyans have chimed in to confirm: Here are the North, Central and South Jersey borders as determined by you (INTERACTIVE) | NJ.com

Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 AM

12,907 posts, read 11,692,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Parts of that map are a mess IMHO. How Millburn is considered Central is beyond me. How Union County is considered Central is beyond me. Look how small Northern NJ is. Mind-boggling. People were definitely trolling on that little poll, I think.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 PM

912 posts, read 930,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Parts of that map are a mess IMHO. How Millburn is considered Central is beyond me. How Union County is considered Central is beyond me. Look how small Northern NJ is. Mind-boggling. People were definitely trolling on that little poll, I think.

I agree. I don't get some of the Central Jersey stuff. Take a map of NJ. Draw a line in the dead center , from west to east. Right around the Trenton area. There you have North and South. The Central Jersey stuff is way north....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia