Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times

Advertisements

I've applied for an internship with NJ government this summer. But here's the catch. I have no idea where I'd live!

Obviously I don't want to live in Trenton. I'm considering either New Brunswick of Philly. I'm assuming New Brunswick would probably be cheaper. But Philly would be much more fun. But is it normal for people to commute from Philly to Trenton? Is this even recommended? I can't do suburbs. At all. So that's why this is a challenge. I know there are some nice NJ suburbs that are much closer to Trenton, but I'd rather have a longer commute and come home to a really nice urban area with stores and restaurants and bars to walk to. Obviously New Brunswick won't have as much as Center City Philly, but it is closer to drive to and closer to NYC where I have tons of friends and I have some friends spread throughout that part of NJ too. But Philly sounds more interesting to me.

What would you guys recommend? Commuting from Philly? Or settling with NB? It would be just for summer and budget is an issue as well since I'm a student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:01 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Philly to Trenton is doable by train. I think it's about an hour train ride depending on where you're departing from in Philly. NB to Trenton is closer to 40 minutes I think. Surprisingly, I think Philly would actually be cheaper. You can find an apartment in Center City for around $1000/month, some even cheaper. You can get roommates too to make things even cheaper. The nice apartments in NB are probably closer to 1500/month. Obviously there are cheaper places that rent to college kids and you could probably find something decent. Overall though, you'll find more rental availability and better prices in Philly, and obviously more fun and stuff to do (and I say this as someone who really likes NB). However, this presupposes you'll be taking the train. Driving to Trenton from Philly is less ideal. You'll be going against traffic so it won't be too bad, but 95 backs up a lot near Girard Avenue, during the evening in both directions. Also, parking in Center City is aggravating and expensive.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Philly to Trenton is doable by train. I think it's about an hour train ride depending on where you're departing from in Philly. NB to Trenton is closer to 40 minutes I think. Surprisingly, I think Philly would actually be cheaper. You can find an apartment in Center City for around $1000/month, some even cheaper. You can get roommates too to make things even cheaper. The nice apartments in NB are probably closer to 1500/month. Obviously there are cheaper places that rent to college kids and you could probably find something decent. Overall though, you'll find more rental availability and better prices in Philly, and obviously more fun and stuff to do (and I say this as someone who really likes NB). However, this presupposes you'll be taking the train. Driving to Trenton from Philly is less ideal. You'll be going against traffic so it won't be too bad, but 95 backs up a lot near Girard Avenue, during the evening in both directions. Also, parking in Center City is aggravating and expensive.
Yeah I would most likely just be taking the train if I lived in Philly. If I lived in NB, I would need a car. But in Philly I'd leave it here in Louisville, or maybe see if a friend in Bridgewater or Manalapan would let me park it there for occasional uses. I'd figure something out with that I'm sure.

But yeah Philly is definitely the more preferable option for me. I'm a big city urban kinda guy, so it's more ideal. So that's great to hear that Philly would actually be cheaper possibly! I'll check out the prices for some sublets. And an hour commute on a train isn't bad at all. I used to drive 45-90 minutes in LA traffic to go 150-20 miles. Sitting on a train is much easier and less stressful. I'd rather go the extra 15 minutes and live in Philly rather than NB.

Would you recommend living near the Philly train station? Or is it safe to walk back from the station to Center City after work if I lived in Center City?

Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
anywhere in general center city isn't bad, though is a big city with crime but should not be an issue

Also if you are going to take the train living near the subway would work to and open up many more neighborhoods

Also if in NB you can live car free NJT runs through the center giving you many options including NYC

1K is a little challenge but if you are willing to do a roommate and two bedrooms it opens up more options

Best of luck

Areas of Philly to look at would be any of CC plus Bella Vista, Passyunk East, G-Ho, Art Museum, No Libs, Fishtown, Old City etc.

Also U City

tried to call out places closer to a subway for the trip to connect to regional rail

you could alos look in Jersey along th Patco or Riverline which runs either in to Philly as subway or to Trenton as light rail, some walkable towns but not true city and Camden is well Camden

Old 01-27-2016, 04:45 PM

I am definitely looking to sublet just a room. I found quite a few in University City for under $800, and I'm sure when summer gets closer, there will be even more. Same with NB. But I think I would rather pay the same price to live in Philly and be in a cooler city. NB isn't bad. I've been there. Seems nice. But I think I would enjoy Philly more as long as commuting on the train to Trenton is pretty simple. Seems to be, but just wanted to confirm it's a reliable mode of transportation and safe enough.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 PM

So it looks like I'm getting this internship in Trenton over the summer. So just wondering, is it safe to walk from the Trenton train station to NJ AG office? That's where I will be working. I will either be taking the train and walking from the station to the office, or I will consider bringing my car and driving. If I look for a place in University City, how is parking there? I'm assuming parking in CC is impossible, and it's a little better in University City?

Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
That's the Mill Hill area of Trenton, which should be fairly safe during the day.

There's also the #624 bus down Market Street you can take to/from the Trenton Transit Center, if it lines up well with your work schedule.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Ok good. Yeah I looked on google streetview on the actual area I'd walk through looks nice. But wasn't sure if looks were deceiving. The train from Philly gets into Trenton at 8am, so I'd have time to wait for the bus probably unless I'm needed at work earlier.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:03 PM

236 posts, read 319,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So it looks like I'm getting this internship in Trenton over the summer. So just wondering, is it safe to walk from the Trenton train station to NJ AG office? That's where I will be working. I will either be taking the train and walking from the station to the office, or I will consider bringing my car and driving. If I look for a place in University City, how is parking there? I'm assuming parking in CC is impossible, and it's a little better in University City?
Parking is a lot better in UCity and Cedar Park, especially if you are West of say 42nd or so. Even more so West of 45th. If you don't mind parking 3 blocks away at times you'll be fine.

If you are going to be working in Trenton, living in Philly and don't have friends or family in the suburbs there is really no reason for a car. You'll already have a regional rail pass and that gets you on all the local transit as well. When you want to hike, go to the shore, or head to Valley Forge you can always rent.

If you'd like any info on West Philly or Center City feel free to ask.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
Parking is a lot better in UCity and Cedar Park, especially if you are West of say 42nd or so. Even more so West of 45th. If you don't mind parking 3 blocks away at times you'll be fine.

If you are going to be working in Trenton, living in Philly and don't have friends or family in the suburbs there is really no reason for a car. You'll already have a regional rail pass and that gets you on all the local transit as well. When you want to hike, go to the shore, or head to Valley Forge you can always rent.

If you'd like any info on West Philly or Center City feel free to ask.
I think I'll be bringing my car just for commuting to work. The rest of the time, it'll be parked and I'll be taking transit all through the city of Philly and to visit friends in DC, Newark, NYC, etc. The only things holding me back from commuting by train are 1) that I'd need to catch the 7:10 train and I can't find a place to rent within a few minutes walking distance of any station that the Trenton line goes through, so I'd end up having to take a bus/subway to a station before that and I'm the furthest from a morning person that ever existed, 2) that train gets in at 8am to Trenton, and I'm assuming my day doesn't start till 9am, and 3) it's a half mile walk to the office from the train station and Trenton isn't the safest city and summer heatwaves can be blazing hot in that area especially while in work clothes haha.

I'm hoping I might drive to work for a little, start getting more used to the early waking up, and then maybe make a friend in the office or another intern who wouldn't mind picking me up/dropping me off at the station in Trenton after. Or even commuting together from the Philly area.

I'm leaning more towards getting a place in West Philly/UCity just because parking is easier and sublets are sometimes $200-300 cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia