Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
you might not say that if you'd read the mid-atlantic debates. historically (i think) it's ny, pa and nj. some want to include ct and ri. the majority, though certainly not all, accept de and md. virginia? put on your armor and prepare for battle.
In the 50s all over the country we were taught that the MidAtlantic is PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA, & on the northern end NY is both MidAtlantic & New England and on the southern end NC is both MidAtlantic & the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 PM

161 posts, read 343,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It competitors are Aldi and Save-A-Lot.
Their main competitor in Europe may be Aldi, but make no mistake that they fully intend to compete with traditional grocery stores in the United States. This has been seen time and time again in new markets they enter, and the fact they are going with a new concept store exclusively for the US market shows their intentions.

That being said, have you been in a newer Aldi recently? They have substantially stepped up their game as well, and have launched a slew of premium, gluten-free and organic products.
https://www.minds.com/blog/view/5440...owfoodnotlawns

Quote:
Lidl is a discount grocer, not a supermarket.

Quote:
Acquiring The Fresh Market would get Kroger into the specialty gourmet grocery sector, but it does not get it closer to being a supermarket participant in New Jersey.
Yes, but if they go through with a purchase, it shows they are not afraid to enter the competitive PA/NJ/NY market.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 PM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Mid-Atlantic to me always meant NY, NJ, PA, DE, and MD, ...
we see the same mid-atlantic, leps, and for all of the same reasons. new england doesn't belong in that group. western ny and pa don't, either. new jersey, and the union states delaware and maryland feel strongly like mid-atlantic states to me. geographically, northern virginia fits, too.

when harris teeter is in delaware, i'll consider it a regional chain. kroger and publix in virginia, not so much.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
we see the same mid-atlantic, leps, and for all of the same reasons. new england doesn't belong in that group. western ny and pa don't, either. new jersey, and the union states delaware and maryland feel strongly like mid-atlantic states to me. geographically, northern virginia fits, too.

when harris teeter is in delaware, i'll consider it a regional chain. kroger and publix in virginia, not so much.
The Harris Teeters are on Delmarva. Kroger has various Virginia locations. Publix is just starting into Virginia, in Richmond. The poster who dragged them into this is German. He admitted that he was not aware that none of the chains are in South Jersey. It's a non-issue.

Lidl announced that they are planning a MidAtlantic rollout but have secured property as far south as Augusta.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 AM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Their main competitor in Europe may be Aldi, but make no mistake that they fully intend to compete with traditional grocery stores in the United States. This has been seen time and time again in new markets they enter, and the fact they are going with a new concept store exclusively for the US market shows their intentions.
Aldi would attract price conscious customers and business away from consistently low performing supermarket participants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101
That being said, have you been in a newer Aldi recently? They have substantially stepped up their game as well, and have launched a slew of premium, gluten-free and organic products.
https://www.minds.com/blog/view/5440...owfoodnotlawns
I have not been to Aldi lately. I am aware it has improved and added products.

Quote:
Yes, but if they go through with a purchase, it shows they are not afraid to enter the competitive PA/NJ/NY market.
The New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania markets are highly competitive with Acme (Albertson's), Stop and Shop (Ahold), ShopRite (Wakefern), Wegman's, and various minor chains and independents. Fallout is ongoing from the demise of A&P. How would Kroger enter those markets with supermarkets?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Harris Teeters are on Delmarva. Kroger has various Virginia locations. Publix is just starting into Virginia, in Richmond. The poster who dragged them into this is German. He admitted that he was not aware that none of the chains are in South Jersey. It's a non-issue.
Kroger's acquisition of Harris Teeter in 2014 greatly improved its presence in Virginia and gained entry into Delaware, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.

Publix is expanding up the Atlantic seaboard. After announcing a store in the Richmond area, I could see further expansion into Arlington-Alexandria, Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Winchester, Harrisonburg, and Danville. Expansion into Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295
Lidl announced that they are planning a MidAtlantic rollout but have secured property as far south as Augusta.
Lidl does have stores planned or sites selected in Georgia. I know five stores are planned in South Carolina.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Aldi would attract price conscious customers and business away from consistently low performing supermarket participants.
I assume you mean Lidl, but I am not sure if you mean income-constrained customers who need to shop for the lowest-priced groceries or a smart shopper who wants to save money. If the latter, I agree. Aldi has successfully re-invented their model to attract the latter, and I believe Lidl will be going the same direction. Who would have thought just 10 years ago that one would see luxury cars for example in an Aldi parking lot, or the chain emerging as a threat to Whole Foods? (Who is now launching their own limited-assortment chain, 365 By Whole Foods Market)

Sure you can not do all your shopping at an Aldi (or Lidl), but it now attracts mainstream grocery shoppers who will buy all they can at Aldi before filling out the rest of their needs elsewhere. With a bigger store format planned for Lidl, I can see them getting a lot closer to filling out someone's cart in one stop instead.

Quote:
The New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania markets are highly competitive with Acme (Albertson's), Stop and Shop (Ahold), ShopRite (Wakefern), Wegman's, and various minor chains and independents. Fallout is ongoing from the demise of A&P. How would Kroger enter those markets with supermarkets?
The South Jersey market specifically (this is a "New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia" forum after-all) is only serviced by Acme and Shoprite, with two Wegman's locations thrown into the mix. That is it for traditional stand-alone mid-level grocery stores. You could throw in Walmart/Target stores with grocery attached if you please.

Last edited by CH101; 02-26-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM

From a planning board meeting to get one of their PA stores approved:

McGrath said the store with sell popular U.S brands but also import items sold from its current locations.

"We'd like to introduce American consumers to international products," McGrath said."

Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
I assume you mean Lidl, but I am not sure if you mean income-constrained customers who need to shop for the lowest-priced groceries or a smart shopper who wants to save money. If the latter, I agree. Aldi has successfully re-invented their model to attract the latter, and I believe Lidl will be going the same direction. Who would have thought just 10 years ago that one would see luxury cars for example in an Aldi parking lot, or the chain emerging as a threat to Whole Foods? (Who is now launching their own limited-assortment chain, 365 By Whole Foods Market)

Sure you can not do all your shopping at an Aldi (or Lidl), but it now attracts mainstream grocery shoppers who will buy all they can at Aldi before filling out the rest of their needs elsewhere. With a bigger store format planned for Lidl, I can see them getting a lot closer to filling out someone's cart in one stop instead.
Aldi and Lidl are similar stores attracting the same customers. Lidl will be offering more than a limited assortment of discount grocery (i.e. dollar store items, house needs).

Quote:
The South Jersey market specifically (this is a "New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia" forum after-all) is only serviced by Acme and Shoprite, with two Wegman's locations thrown into the mix. That is it for traditional stand-alone mid-level grocery stores. You could throw in Walmart/Target stores with grocery attached if you please.
Walmart Supercenter, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Sam's Club, and Super Target do count as food retailers in the hypermarket, supermarket, and wholesale club segments.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Aldi and Lidl are similar stores attracting the same customers. Lidl will be offering more than a limited assortment of discount grocery (i.e. dollar store items, house needs).
Dollar store items? What are you basing this on? Have you even visited a Lidl store in Europe? Low prices do not always equal "dollar store items". I was just in a European Lidl this past year. It is true that they carry non-grocery items as well, but comparing the items to dollar store items is way off base. Unless the dollar stores you shop at sell toaster ovens, comforters, shop vacs, pressure washers, luggage, Sheds etc.....

For the record, Aldi US also carries non-grocery items. Like Lidl Europe, Aldi US has a variety of non-grocery items that they bring in weekly. For example, I purchased a gazebo at Aldi for half the price of a nearly identical one at Home Depot, same quality, still going strong 4 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia