U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I have read all the posts to make sure I was not repeating what someone else has already posted. We may be relocating to NJ from Canada and are considering South NJ. I am confused by so many different places. Can anyone give me information about various places like Paulsboro, Salem, Millville... places around the Gloucester area. We would be looking for a quiet suburb of family residences. Where are the nice areas, where are the places to avoid? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 AM

88 posts, read 349,468 times
Paulsboro is not in any type of growth phase yet. I am sure it will start growing within the next couple of years, but what your looking for will not be found in Paulsboro.

Salem County you will see the start of a growth phase, there are a lot of new developments going up and you can find the homes a lot cheaper. It is very very rural.

Millville, I am not totally positive of.. It is in Cumberland county and I deal mostly in Gloucester county. I've been in Millville a few times, but still unsure of the area. I know new construction is going on down there.

Look into East Greenwich/Mullica Hill/Woolwich Township areas.. They are great areas. It is really hard to tell..there are so many great areas in Southern, NJ. Some more expensive than others, some more rural and some busier..

So many factors determine the right home and area for you and your family. New Construction home? Older home OK? Price Range? Best School districts?

All take into consideration especially when you are not from the area. The good thing about Southern NJ, you can find almost anything that meets your needs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-15-2012 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: realtor soliciting removed

Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 46,243 times
Default Moving to Mullica Hill

Check Mullica Hill. We are relocating there in one month. We are renting a house while we build a new home.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM

14 posts, read 57,324 times
I grew up in Gibbstown, which is right next to Paulsboro. You DON"T want to live there. If you have kids, they go to high school in Paulsboro so keep that in mind. Pollution is bad there too.
Gibbstown is nice, but I would never move back.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM

71 posts, read 218,673 times
NJ is so confusing because we have so many towns. you can drive down a main road for 10 miles and easily go through 4 or 5 towns.

Try narrowing down on a county first.

Gloucester County sounds ideal for what you are looking for. Stay towards Southern Gloucester county (gibbstown and south). Areas like Mullica Hill and Woolwich are excellent but a little pricey (worth it if you can afford it). Other areas include Swedesboro, Gibbstown, and Logan if you are more price concerned (homes are a little older, but they are still good towns)

Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 11,487 times
Default Gibbstown / Paulsboro

Low life dead end towns full of dopers, losers and wannabies. Most housing run-down. Lots of crime. No future unless you are able to move out. Take my advice and steer clear of these towns if you want to avoid the unpleasant.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 AM

690 posts, read 2,717,431 times
IMO, Vineland is NOT nicer than Millville. Downtown Vineland leaves a lot to be desired and seems very low class. I know there are parts of Millville that are supposed to be pretty decent.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 25,166 times
Salem County is absolutely beautiful to drive through. Lots of beautiful, well kept Quaker
farms - reminds you a lot of Lancaster Co., PA. Don't know much about the individual towns, though. But the general area is so nice.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

20,605 posts, read 16,652,763 times
For the kind of neighborhoods you're looking for in Gloucester County, consider Pitman and Mullica Hill, both old, charming family areas. Just make sure when you look at homes that they're NOT near the 322 bypass that is scheduled to be built. I have a friend who's lived in Mullica Hill for 25 years and found out they are soon going to have a highway practically in their backyard, and I'm not sure if sellers are required to disclose stuff like that. Salem County is pretty far out, and I agree Millville is not the nicest place.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 36,021,886 times
I would not move to any of the towns you listed. Paulsboro is very industrial and the school system is horrible. Millville has a large number of issues, not the least of which are crime and bad schools. Salem, is an old town that you would think would have some nice character, but it is a very economically depressed and rundown place.

If you are looking for nice and have the budget, Mullica Hill or Mantua are great. A little further down the afforability scale and you have Woolwich and East Greenwich Twp. and a little further down from that is Logan. All are great areas with good school systems and have a nice blend of rural while still providing amenities like nearby shopping and dining. All of these communities are centered along Route 322 between I-295 and Route 45 in Gloucester County.

I personally live in Logan and there are a lot of housing options there and property taxes are the cheapest of all the areas listed while the school system is still the equal of any of the more expensive towns. If looking at Logan you definitely want to stick to "Beckett" and the immediate surrounding areas. Someone earlier had mentioned that houses in Logan were older and while it is true that there are sections of Beckett that were built in the 60's and 70's there has been a lot of building over the past 10 years and some new larger homes are still going up along Beckett Drive, so I wouldn't categorize Logan housing as being older, but it is certainly more diverse then what you would find in Woolwich or Mantua.

I saw someone had recommended Vineland. Vineland is actually an interesting area. I personally wouldn't live there, but East Vineland is actually a very nice place with some really nice and affordable homes and there is quite a bit of money in that area. The major issue with East Vineland is that the schools are still "Vineland" so most people that live there send their children to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia