Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 14,944 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to NJ from NC, and I understand life it's totally different there. Now, I'm going through my list of things to do, and I just thought that soon this month I have to pay property taxes and renew registration for the car, and the following month I'll be leaving the state of NC for good. as soon as I get to NJ, do I have to change all my car information such as registration, license, insurance, and do I also have to pay property taxes and get it inspected there? Can I keep my NC tag for at least a year?

I'm just thinking I'll be spending almost 300 dollars at the end of the month and then moving to another state, does anyone know if this can be like an exception and perhaps waived or reduced?

Also, if anyone knows any information regarding car registration or anything related to DMV that I have to worry about once I get to South Jersey?

Also, does anyone knows what places such as apartments, town home or private landlords, realtor take does that are in the restricted list.

And any ideas on how to target employers from where I'm at in order to be called for a job before I get there, I'm trying to get the job and hopefully line up the apartment or house because I really don't want to consider staying in a hotel spending lots of money, my area of work is in IT Technical support and IT security.

For places to live I've have been doing researches and considering locations such as Woolwich, Swedesboro, Voorhees, Mount Laurel, Glassboro, Deptford and nearby cities. I'm trying to avoid the commute to PA, at least my first year there until I get used to the new life in South Jersey.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:36 AM

122 posts, read 202,869 times
You have sixty days after you become an NJ resident to register your car and transfer your out of state driver's license. NJ does not charge property tax on cars, just an annual registration fee. You will eventually need to get your car inspected, but the inspection process is free and they basically just run an emissions test.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Why have you decided to move here without having a job already lined up? I would never even think of doing that.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
^^^ You're moving to the, "Please, sir, may I have another?" state without a job. Why?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:20 PM

oh wow, I'm here to get opinions, guidance/answers not to be attacked of why I don't have a job. I have not moved there yet, and I'm still applying once I get a job offer, I'll be relocating..I'm not in Jersey yet. So I am doing my homework of getting all the information I need before making the move. Thanks to Whitasigh for the great information. truly appreciate it.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I don't see anyone attacking you. We're just wondering why you're moving to the high cost of living state without a job. It's a pretty gutsy thing to do. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iani11 View Post
oh wow, I'm here to get opinions, guidance/answers not to be attacked of why I don't have a job. I have not moved there yet, and I'm still applying once I get a job offer, I'll be relocating..I'm not in Jersey yet. So I am doing my homework of getting all the information I need before making the move. Thanks to Whitasigh for the great information. truly appreciate it.
Let me tell you I as a transplant about 4 years ago from Northern NJ by NYC - I don't know what type of job you're seeking but with me I've been $ poor since I moved here and I'm entertaining and actually seeking to moving away from Southern NJ to either points further North in NJ or out of state for employment reasons and other "backward" reasons for me living here.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:19 PM

I appreciate and understand what you all are saying, I have been really giving lots of thoughts and researching. I understand the cost of living there is super high compare to here.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iani11 View Post
I appreciate and understand what you all are saying, I have been really giving lots of thoughts and researching. I understand the cost of living there is super high compare to here.
North and Central NJ (NYC market) is more expensive especially housing wise but more jobs and better pay verses Southern New Jersey where the jobs are either lacking and or pay less with some exceptions, many of which a lot less which still is "backwards" to the COL in my view.

All in all NJ is great as after all we are the most populated state per square mile for great reasons (that comes mostly from the Northern and Central parts of the state) but it depends what you are seeking and where you are in life.

My advise is to do more research, ask more questions and even visit here.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
North and Central NJ (NYC market) is more expensive especially housing wise but more jobs and better pay verses Southern New Jersey where the jobs are either lacking and or pay less with some exceptions, many of which a lot less which still is "backwards" to the COL in my view.

All in all NJ is great as after all we are the most populated state per square mile for great reasons (that comes mostly from the Northern and Central parts of the state) but it depends what you are seeking and where you are in life.

My advise is to do more research, ask more questions and even visit here.
If you actually compared the income and living expenses, including housing, between Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties with the "core" NNJ counties, you would find that a dollar does go further in SNJ than it does in NNJ. Not sure what industry you are in or where you live, but most people make out very well in their transplant. Heck, I know plenty of people who live in Burlington County that still commute to Manhattan because they wanted the lower COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia