Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
If I take some general numbers. Say $200k total salary for married couple living in Philly and working in NJ.

Current:
PA Income Tax (3.07% * $200k) = $6140
Philly Wage Tax (3.92% * 200k) = $7840
NJ = NONE
TOTAL = $13980

If agreement ends:
NJ Income Tax = (Tiered * 200k) = $10613.75
PA Income Tax = NONE Correct?
Philly Wage Tax = $7840 - (Deduction of Difference between NJ vs PA where 10613.75 - 6140 =) 4473.75 = $3366.25
TOTAL = $13980

Something is wrong. I always break out to be equal. I think I am calculating the Philly Wage tax wrong with deduction or missing something with the PA income tax.

Any ideas?
If I'm correct, you don't get a deduction on the Philly wage tax. Those who work in Philly but live in NJ can deduct the Philly wage tax from their NJ state tax owed, but those who live in Philly and work in NJ get no such equivalent deduction. Philly always gets the money it's "supposed" to get, whether you live there, work there, or both. The change proposal is only between the states of NJ and PA and has nothing to do with the city of Philadelphia if I understand correctly. So in this new case, you still pay $7480 to Philly, bringing your total tax burden to $18454. You pay the same to Philly but now pay $4474 more on your state income tax...it's just now that money goes to NJ, not PA.

I would just like to say that under both scenarios, one thing is glaringly obvious. It is a bad financial decision to live in Philly if you work in NJ. It really is under any level of income, since you never get a deduction on that Philly wage tax. Not to say this is true of working in NJ only though. It's also bad to live in Philly and work in PA outside of the city as well. Avoid the Philly wage tax if you can, and it really makes no sense to live in Philly if you don't also work there. I understand about issues like quality of life, amenities, entertainment, etc. but just from a strictly financial perspective, it's bad, whether working in NJ or PA outside of Philly, only slightly worse for NJ since you have to pay bridge tolls as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 PM

122 posts, read 202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
If I'm correct, you don't get a deduction on the Philly wage tax.
That is my understanding of this as well.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...pa-tax.html#i1

Per this it mentions credit against Phila tax. Is this wrong?

It mentions Wynne Case which I think just recently occurred and hence may not be truly reflected here yet.

I agree that living in the Philly city limits costs more and I have to weigh that against other things considered but right now I am okay paying a tad more for the benefits.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:50 PM

122 posts, read 202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...pa-tax.html#i1

Per this it mentions credit against Phila tax. Is this wrong?

It mentions Wynne Case which I think just recently occurred and hence may not be truly reflected here yet.

I agree that living in the Philly city limits costs more and I have to weigh that against other things considered but right now I am okay paying a tad more for the benefits.
The case they are talking about is COMPTROLLER OF THE TREASURY OF MARYLAND v. WYNNE, a US Supreme Court case from 2015. Here's the opinion if you want to read it. Here's an WHYY article about the potential impact of the case on the Philly Wage Tax. I'll admit I had not heard about this yet, but I don't know if there are any Pennsylvania courts which have held that the rule in Wynne applies to the Philly wage tax. And even if it is obvious that it should (I don't know), that doesn't mean that Philly taxing authorities won't fight you over it until a court tells them they can't. But overall it looks like Wynne might apply and NJ tax paid should be a credit against philly wage tax.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:55 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
To clarify this thread... Christie changed his mind about nixing the agreement, and is leaving it in place. There was a lot of pressure from businesses against Christie's efforts to cancel.

Funny how the original story is ALL over the media, but then try to find an article where he announced he wasn't changing anything! ha the one I did find is a blog post in Philly.com
Commute across the Delaware? Christie's changed his mind, keeping your taxes simpler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia