Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,482 times

Advertisements

Hello - my family and I are seriously looking at Moorestown. A few questions to anyone on this board that can answer them...

New Construction - I see there is new construction being built in Stanwick Glen area (Paparone) and Orchard Farms (NV Homes). Our budget is around 800k. How are these areas? Any insight into these homes?

Also, Strawberry Lake Park in Moorestown - does anyone live there? How is it for kids? Is the location good?

What area would you consider the safest and best for young kids?

My family is Jewish, we are not very religious but wanted to get vibe for what it is like to be Jewish in Moorestown. If this is something where my kids are going to get picked on in school for being Jewish, then we have to seriously consider this fact. I know Moorestown is not as Jewish as areas like Cherry Hill, Voorhees, etc, and if anyone can provide any insight that would be great.

And lastly, how often are taxes reassessed in Burlington County, Moorestown specifically? We have seen a lot of houses that taxes fluctuate over 10k from year to year.

Thanks to everyone on this board. It has been very helpful so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
Well, don't get a place east of the Lockheed Martin plant. They radiate electromagnetic radiation northeast and east from there. Best to stay west.

Come on, anti Semitic behavior is extremely uncommon in the towns you mentioned. No different in Voorhees vs moorestown, mount laurel, etc.

Taxes are high in moorestown, but don't know the details. You have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:49 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Don't chide someone unfamiliar with the area for asking whether they will be accepted as an ethno-religious minority. In Moorestown, anti-Semitic may not have been so uncommon as recently as 15-20 years ago.

Now, however, the Township is a solid 10% and steadily rising. You won't find a distinctively Jewish community, but there's enough of a critical mass that you should find some safety in numbers and general acceptance.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:38 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Moorestown is very nice, but it is also much more expensive in both home prices and taxes when compared to neighboring areas such as Mt. Laurel, Lumberton or Medford. Moorestown has one of the best public school systems in the country usually ranking in the top 20, by comparison I believe the other ones I mentioned are still in the top 50 or 75. Not sure if it makes all the difference but that's what your taxes and more expensive homes in Moorestown are paying for.. I do know Moorestown is very much "Keeping up with the Joneses".

Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Moorestown is very nice, but it is also much more expensive in both home prices and taxes when compared to neighboring areas such as Mt. Laurel, Lumberton or Medford. Moorestown has one of the best public school systems in the country usually ranking in the top 20, by comparison I believe the other ones I mentioned are still in the top 50 or 75. Not sure if it makes all the difference but that's what your taxes and more expensive homes in Moorestown are paying for.. I do know Moorestown is very much "Keeping up with the Joneses".
Without getting into the merits of your other points, there are few Jews in Medford and next to none in Lumberfon.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:11 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Without getting into the merits of your other points, there are few Jews in Medford and next to none in Lumberfon.
Forget Lumberton. Aren't more Jews moving into Medford? It's a nice area and the schools are good. I know of a few families who have lived out in the township for years.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:53 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post

Moorestown tax is lower than Mt. Laurel, Lumberton or Medford. There are more expensive homes in Moorestown so that's why their taxes seems higher. More expensive homes and their taxes don't make for a better public school. Moorestown is more affluent so that will always contribute more successful public education overall. Affluent means families can provide additional activities. How many of those kids are getting SAT prep compare to the other larger public school?

Moorestown is by no mean rank anywhere near top 20 in the country for public school. The other three towns, not even top 200.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:38 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Moorestown tax is lower than Mt. Laurel, Lumberton or Medford. There are more expensive homes in Moorestown so that's why their taxes seems higher. More expensive homes and their taxes don't make for a better public school. Moorestown is more affluent so that will always contribute more successful public education overall. Affluent means families can provide additional activities. How many of those kids are getting SAT prep compare to the other larger public school?

Moorestown is by no mean rank anywhere near top 20 in the country for public school. The other three towns, not even top 200.
The schools are good enough. You take the kiddies to the museum, the wildlife refuge and teach them how to use chopsticks. Music lessons. A nice town is a nice town.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:06 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The schools are good enough. You take the kiddies to the museum, the wildlife refuge and teach them how to use chopsticks. Music lessons. A nice town is a nice town.

It's a good and highly rate public school in the area but to say it's a top 20 school in the country is absurd.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Forget Lumberton. Aren't more Jews moving into Medford? It's a nice area and the schools are good. I know of a few families who have lived out in the township for years.
Medford isn't judenrein, but it's never been more than ~3-5% Jewish. Someone concerned with the relative lack of Jewish population in Moorestown would probably feel out of place in Medford--not that it isn't a nice area or that anti-Jewish sentiment is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia