U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 04:08 PM

39 posts, read 28,001 times

Advertisements

I was just struck by the arbitrariness of the official division of this forum vs the (North) New Jersey forum. No definition of South Jersey as "that part of New Jersey in the Philadelphia zone of influence" does not include those three counties. Unless there's some technical definition that does? Salem but not Cumberland seems especially weird to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:10 PM

92 posts, read 53,952 times
Easy peasy. It's any one of these reasons:

a. Those areas still receive WPIX on cable somewhere on Ch.254 or something, so that commonality belongs with the greater NJ forum
b. New Yorkers/Northern NJ residents contribute most to the tourism into Atlantic City. Thus, Atlantic City locals are highly dependent on them for their livelihoods, so should be included with them when it helps them.
d. More words are better than fewer.
e. To be different than Craigslist
f. It keeps a clunky name association with Philadelphia. And it's ok. It's just Philly so clunky makes sense. New York is the best, and it's best to find ways to increase their sphere of influence.
g. It keeps consistency with another clunky name, the Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland. Don't challenge the difference.
g. Not enough people commute between the areas. It's the people fault, and train service isn't viable.
h. They get different radio stations and newspaper than those on the west side of Southern NJ. It's just different, but it's really more like the North Jersey after all.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:28 PM

26,223 posts, read 24,957,701 times
It's not what the members wanted, but that's what they got. Better than nothing?

There are few or no questions about Cumberland County. People ask about the shore in both folders.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:39 PM

8,128 posts, read 17,541,198 times
Cumberland County might very well be the preeminent wasteland. I have never known anyone from this county, nor, in my life, have I even known anyone to visit, or want to live there. It is more culturally unaligned with the state than any other place I know of. If you were blindfolded and asked to identify where you were, in a place like Vineland, you'd guess at least a dozen states before you posited New Jersey. It is the poorest county per capita (by far) in the state, and it's not really an urban county. So that makes it equally paradoxical. Also, it suffered a population loss in the 2010 census. It's an outlier to New Jersey in almost every sense of the word.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:52 PM

22,651 posts, read 27,991,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan clutch View Post
I was just struck by the arbitrariness of the official division of this forum vs the (North) New Jersey forum. No definition of South Jersey as "that part of New Jersey in the Philadelphia zone of influence" does not include those three counties. Unless there's some technical definition that does? Salem but not Cumberland seems especially weird to me...
I was involved when the forum was set up. The powers that be refused to give us a South Jersey forum & gave us one based on the Philadelphia MSA at that time. It wasn't changed when Atlantic County was added. It is what it is. If it's in South Jersey we try to respond. If it's not in South Jersey I report it & request that the post is moved. Sometimes the misplaced posts get moved, sometimes they don't.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 930,898 times
I fail to understand why Cumberland does not have a link. Most of us here can read. I think we all have electricity. I have a few friends that have a computer. Oh well..

Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 PM

26,223 posts, read 24,957,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Cumberland County might very well be the preeminent wasteland. I have never known anyone from this county, nor, in my life, have I even known anyone to visit, or want to live there. It is more culturally unaligned with the state than any other place I know of. If you were blindfolded and asked to identify where you were, in a place like Vineland, you'd guess at least a dozen states before you posited New Jersey. It is the poorest county per capita (by far) in the state, and it's not really an urban county. So that makes it equally paradoxical. Also, it suffered a population loss in the 2010 census. It's an outlier to New Jersey in almost every sense of the word.
There were bells on a hill...

I've been there a number of times; I'm weird like that.

Did you know that there was a tea burning in Greenwich? It happened six days after the Boston event. I doubt they'd heard that news. Perhaps I'm wrong.

It's more quiet in areas than the Pine Barrens. Between the Philly airport traffic and the joint base, it's not always quiet in the big piney woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or