Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,311 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I recently moved to Haddon Township from Philly and ended up in an apartment that has major issues and I have to get out to maintain sanity. We love the area but there really aren't many apartments so we started expanding the search to Cherry Hill/Mt Laurel area. I've been searching a lot and reading reviews, which just causes more confusion with bogus reviews or people voicing concerns about things that we don't necessarily care about. I'm really just hoping to get some feedback from people who actually live, or have lived, in these areas to provide some guidance.

I work in Center City Philly and my girlfriend works north of Cherry Hill, so we are trying to stay within Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel, Haddon Township, Haddonfield, or Voorhees (farthest considering our work locations). I know absolutely nothing about towns/neighborhoods north of Cherry Hill.

What we are really looking for:
-1 or 2br
-Dog friendly (not a deal breaker though for the right apartment)
-Non smoking in unit
-Renovated is a plus but not a requirement for us - I just want something clean
-My girlfriend's safety is obviously my biggest concern above anything else on the list. Friends from NJ tell me about neighborhoods within Cherry Hill and surrounding that aren't the best, but coming from Philly it is hard for me to tell sometimes because it all seems nice when driving around.
-Budget: 1300-1500

Here are a few we've considered (not knowing about the neighborhood)
https://www.apartments.com/mt-laurel...el-nj/2r1kqzb/
https://www.apartments.com/laurel-gr...el-nj/4pbxm1j/
https://hotpads.com/117-echelon-rd-v...3-tqc0x5/6/pad

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 54,292 times
Hi Matt,

Are you guys open to looking in other areas in South Jersey? West Deptford is decent and affordable.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslightvivi View Post
Hi Matt,

Are you guys open to looking in other areas in South Jersey? West Deptford is decent and affordable.
Ideally I'd like to stay in the areas mentioned. I'm definitely open to the Deptford area (commute to Philly is pretty easy), but my gf's commute becomes a headache. Any specific areas within West Deptford you would recommend / recommend avoiding in case we do decide to look?

Thanks again

Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 2,805 times
Hey Matt,

I live in SJ and work in center city so might be able to help you. Your first 2 apartments on your list above would be fine as far as safety but your commute to the train (do you take the train to Philly) will be rough. Stay away from the last apartment on your list. Send me a message and I'll help you out with some suggestions.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 PM

11 posts, read 7,622 times
Hi Chris,
I am also in somewhat similar situation and need apartment suggestion for someone who would be moving from Atlanta Georgia and have little to no knowledge about the area except some township names I gathered from city data.

Apart from safety we also need to consider the pre-k for our 4 yr old Daughter so that is also a factor.

Is patco the only way to commute from south jersey to city Centre and why no one talks about commute via car, i understand parking is overhead cost but is that the only reason?

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Sachin

Old 07-07-2017, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,805 times
Sachin,

Taking PATCO to center city is the cheapest (and easiest in my opinion) option. To drive costs you gas, tolls ($5) and parking (can range from $10-$35 day). PATCO costs $7 at most and you don't have to deal with traffic. However a lot depends on where your office is in Center City. Also a budget for your apartment would go a long way in getting helpful suggestions from others on here as well. You are welcome to DM me as well.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 7,622 times
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I would be working near Comcast centre(2 logan sq) and can afford rent upto 1800 for 2 BR.

Having said that if i use patco as primary mode of transportation then what would be our option for possible renovated apartment in more urban area with good preschool options.

Haddon view is one option I found via Google and the grand cherry hill was another but this one seems to be farther from patco so home to patco would require car or something.

and do most of major apartments complex provides the shuttle for nearby patco train station?

Thanks
Sachin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchris View Post
Sachin,

Taking PATCO to center city is the cheapest (and easiest in my opinion) option. To drive costs you gas, tolls ($5) and parking (can range from $10-$35 day). PATCO costs $7 at most and you don't have to deal with traffic. However a lot depends on where your office is in Center City. Also a budget for your apartment would go a long way in getting helpful suggestions from others on here as well. You are welcome to DM me as well.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:03 PM

122 posts, read 202,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj84 View Post
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I would be working near Comcast centre(2 logan sq) and can afford rent upto 1800 for 2 BR.

Having said that if i use patco as primary mode of transportation then what would be our option for possible renovated apartment in more urban area with good preschool options.

Haddon view is one option I found via Google and the grand cherry hill was another but this one seems to be farther from patco so home to patco would require car or something.

and do most of major apartments complex provides the shuttle for nearby patco train station?

Thanks
Sachin
The major ones that are distant from patco might provide a shuttle, although there are plenty within walking distance. The new Haddon Towne Center is in walking distance of the Westmont patco, but it might be slightly out of your budget. There are lots of apartments available on craigslist, but I understand that might be daunting if you are moving from so far away. Not sure what you mean by "more urban," but in South Jersey the patco towns (Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield) are pre-WWII inner-ring suburbs. They have downtown areas with shops and are walkable to some extent. The most other towns near patco are post-wwii suburbs that are very car-centric.

I don't know if I'd consider any of these towns "urban," in the big-city sense, but if you had to compare them to locations in the Atlanta area they are more like Virginia Highlands (or Inman Park) in terms of there being a walkable retail area, with lots of dense housing (from single family to moderate sized apartment buildings) nearby, within a close enough driving distance of the urban core (15-20 minutes to center city).

Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 PM

10 posts, read 33,470 times
Hello all, I am in a similar situation. Looking for an apt in Collingswood, Haddon Heights, etc. moving from South Philly to be with daughter and family. Looking for a safe, clean apt. I am over 65, drive and have some mobility problems. Can't deal with many steps. Looking for an elevator bldg and can spend up to $1,500. Thank you...

Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchris View Post
Hey Matt,

I live in SJ and work in center city so might be able to help you. Your first 2 apartments on your list above would be fine as far as safety but your commute to the train (do you take the train to Philly) will be rough. Stay away from the last apartment on your list. Send me a message and I'll help you out with some suggestions.
Thanks for replying Chris. I actually drive to Center City (company offers free parking) so proximity to train isn't a huge deal for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia