Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 19,635 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm looking for home within 1/2 hour drive from where I work in Moorestown, NJ. I only have about 150k to spend. I see some cute places in Merchantville, but I'm not sure about the area. It seems to be a mixed bag...a lot of young kids walking around in "packs". Most streets look well kept, but some have houses that have simply fallen down. Is the area up and coming, or is it on it's way out? Anyone have a little insight on this town? Any advice would be appreciated. I see a place I like a few blocks off of Maple Ave & Chapel crosspoint.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,685 times
Merchantville can go either way.....its surrounded by Pennsauken and close to Camden....but the town itself is pretty nice.

I'd rather take the 150k and buy a condo in Mt Laurel. You will be closer to work and in a safe, stable neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM

32 posts, read 192,980 times
Merchantville is still nice, it is bordered by Pennsauken, but it's the "good" part of Pennsauken. It's where we currently live in Pennsauken, the Bloomfield section. The bad side of Pennsauken is across Rt 130, which also happens to border Camden which the previous poster happened to point out.

We are currently looking to move but not because of the neighborhood, but because of other reasons.

1) The school system is not that great, so we have to send our kids to Catholic school. We are getting tired of paying the real estate taxes and the tuition which next year combined will total almost $11,000.

2) Our little street is very quiet and nice and safe, but there are only 3 other kids for our children to play with and only one of them are their ages. We feel bad for them, so we are going to try to move somewhere that has a good public school system, and into a neighborhood or development that has more children so they have more friends to play with.

So, I would still consider Merchantville, but I would look elsewhere if you have children, unless you are going to send them to Catholic or private school.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
I am not sure if Merchantville is going "up" or "down" but it definitely is 50/50 overall. I always feel sad when I ride through Merchantville because those beautiful old houses have so much potential but a lot of people who live in them just don't keep them maintained or landscaped that nicely. It's hit or miss.

It's a very convenient location - very close to Cherry Hill and Moorestown and all the restaurants and shopping.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedahome View Post
Hello.

I'm looking for home within 1/2 hour drive from where I work in Moorestown, NJ. I only have about 150k to spend. I see some cute places in Merchantville, but I'm not sure about the area. It seems to be a mixed bag...a lot of young kids walking around in "packs". Most streets look well kept, but some have houses that have simply fallen down. Is the area up and coming, or is it on it's way out? Anyone have a little insight on this town? Any advice would be appreciated. I see a place I like a few blocks off of Maple Ave & Chapel crosspoint.

Thanks!
You should look for an older condo or townhouse. In Mount Laurel, that price range might get you a 2 bedroom/1 bath condo built in the early 80s. But if you must have a house, look in Collingswood or Haddon Twp, you might be able to find something older that needs some work.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 19,635 times
Default I moved to Merchantville

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did end up moving to Merchantville 2 months ago. I was able to get a three bedroom townhouse/rowhome for what it would have cost to get a one bedroom condo in Mount Laurel. I'm on a safe quiet street with friendly neighbors. It's great. I'm happy with my home & the decision I made to move to Merchantville.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Good for you. Good luck in Merchantville.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Congratulations. I have friends who live on Park Ave. in Merchantville. They've been there for about 4 years now. From what I remember that place looking like 10 years ago I'd say that it's definitely on its way up. They've been trying to sell to move to Collingswood (closer to the train as he works at Temple) and if property values are any guide they've had a few offers close to double what they paid 4 years ago . . . alas, they fell through because of the current lending problems.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,124 times
Welcome to Merchantville - alittle late! I've lived here 20 yrs off of Church Rd and all is well. My 2 children (now in their 20's) went thru Merchantville Elementary and Pennsauken HS, both are doing well and came thru it just fine!! It's like anything else, it's what you make of it! I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Enjoy

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM

46 posts, read 140,354 times
I grew up in Merchantville, off of Cove Road. I miss it terribly but it may not be the Utopia it was in 1950 !! From elementary school to Pennsauken HS. Amazing experience--Leave it to Beaver childhood.
Anyway, go to the WaWa and have a hoagie for me, ok??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia