U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 11:47 AM

125 posts, read 178,761 times

Advertisements

Our house is about to go under contract and we have been actively looking for a 4 bedroom 2 bath house in the south jersey area with a good school district.
We found a house in Alluvium in Voorhees Township but are hesitant. We have two children with one on the way and we want to be living in a neighborhood that has families and is young and fresh in a way? We know no development is going to be this way 100% but we don’t want to live in an area that is stuffy or is mostly and older crowd. We aren’t very familiar with Voorhees so just reaching out for other opinions. Should we pass and keep looking? Recommendations on other developments?

Also what about the schools? Is Eastern ok? We are hearing Eastern is just as good as Cherry Hill nowadays? School district is important to is.

Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 960,396 times
I think Alluvium should be a pretty good choice if you are looking to be around other families with school age children. Pretty much all of those developments in Voorhees like Allvium, Beagle Club, and Sturbridge, got built up starting in the late 70’s to accommodate the surge of Boomers just starting to have their Millenial babies. The developments have likely aged over the past decade, but we are at that point now where Boomers are retiring and ready to move out, while Millenials are starting to have their children and looking to move in, so I foresee the demographics shifting and getting younger again.

Boomers want to get out after they retire because property taxes are ridiculously high (Camden County has amongst the highest millage rates in the whole nation), but new parents will be eager to move in because of the schools. As far as school quality, yes, Voorhees has great schools. They are on par with Cherry Hill. I would say Eastern is maybe a sliver below Cherry Hill East (negligible difference as far as I am concerned) and a little bit above Cherry Hill West.

Just curious...where do you and your spouse commute to for work, and where do you currently live?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 AM

125 posts, read 178,761 times
Oh sorry, I just realized I didn't add where we currently are. We currently are living in Collingswood. We are moving because we are outgrowing our house and we want more of a backyard (and fenced in) for our kids to play in. We also have been iffy with the schools here. We've only seen ratings drop since we've lived here...esp in the last 2 years. There are a lot of parents that still swear by the schools, but lots that don't and have said they are going to be putting their children in private schools (which we'd rather not do). So we are looking to move in the Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Moorestown area.

I work in center city, so I take patco in. My wife works part time (freelance work)in the south jersey area (usually when I'm home or when my MIL can watch our kids). But I know I'll be adding 20-30 more mins to my commute...I'd like to not make it anymore than that (or less than that if possible).

Oh wanted to add we decided to pass on the one Voorhees house. We found out there is another buyer and they have an attorney involved (and it sounds a little messy), so we are just backing out of it.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:01 AM

1,045 posts, read 960,396 times
Okay, so I asked where you work because now that I know you work in Philly, I want to suggest that you look in PA. Based on knowing the house size and the development, I’m assuming your budget is around $400-500K. Know that with that valuation, you will be paying like $13-16K in property taxes, which is ridiculous. Camden County is completely awful with their property tax rates...again amongst the worst in the nation, maybe THE worst.

A similar quality home in a similar quality school district in PA will be more expensive, but with lower property taxes. Depending on your income level, you may also pay less state income tax if you live in PA, even after the NJ deduction for the Philly wage tax. You would have to do the math for yourself to see what works out best. In PA, you can also take the train to Center City (SEPTA) if that is crucial...your options of train towns are much more plentiful in PA than in SJ. As such, you also find towns with much more character and more along that Colligswood vibe (except they aren’t dry!), if you are attracted to that. You won’t get that in Voorhees or Cherry Hill. Since your wife does freelance, I assume whatever she is doing in SJ could also be done in PA if you make the move.

I would suggest also posting in the Philadelphia general forum with your requirements and budget, and see what responses you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia