Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 02:14 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd choose the Comfort Inn. There's a Starbucks, a few restaurants, and WalMart. My sister and brother-in-law stayed at one of the hotels in that area and I stayed at Aloft four years ago. The area is fine.
Thanks, good to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 02:32 PM

368 posts, read 213,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Update. We are going soon to visit her. Looking at Spring Hill Suites by Marriott on Midatlantic Drive in Mt. Laurel. Also looking at Comfort Inn & Suites on Century Parkway in Mt. Laurel.

Are these decent places to stay a few nights? Relatively good neighborhoods?

Thanks again for all the help.
The Mt Laurel area is pretty spread out. There isn't really a downtown, it's more highways, shopping centers, and developments/subdivisions. It's a fine place to stay in a hotel just not a ton to do aside from driving to a bar or restaurant. If you're looking for a nice place to walk around, get a meal, etc., I'd recommend Haddonfield or Collingswood, or going into Center City Philly (if want maximum safety, stay between Vine St and South St/Bainbridge St, and east of Schuykill River).

The hotels you're looking at are fine in terms of safety, pretty much zero crime in that area so they don't worry about that, just don't do the cheapest motels in Maple Shade because that's not a great place to stay (I'd imagine there's some drug/prostitution activity there). The actual town of Maple Shade is not dangerous at all there are just some seedy motels along a stretch of Rt 73. Just stay south/southeast of Church Rd on Rt 73 or in the area you're looking. There are no dangerous towns in the NJ suburbs of Philly where it's potentially unsafe to walk around other than Camden.

Last edited by pclem; 03-03-2022 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-03-2022, 07:03 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
The Mt Laurel area is pretty spread out. There isn't really a downtown, it's more highways, shopping centers, and developments/subdivisions. It's a fine place to stay in a hotel just not a ton to do aside from driving to a bar or restaurant. If you're looking for a nice place to walk around, get a meal, etc., I'd recommend Haddonfield or Collingswood, or going into Center City Philly (if want maximum safety, stay between Vine St and South St/Bainbridge St, and east of Schuykill River).

The hotels you're looking at are fine in terms of safety, pretty much zero crime in that area so they don't worry about that, just don't do the cheapest motels in Maple Shade because that's not a great place to stay (I'd imagine there's some drug/prostitution activity there). The actual town of Maple Shade is not dangerous at all there are just some seedy motels along a stretch of Rt 73. Just stay south/southeast of Church Rd on Rt 73 or in the area you're looking. There are no dangerous towns in the NJ suburbs of Philly where it's potentially unsafe to walk around other than Camden.
What the hell? He's visiting his daughter. They'll do what they want to do.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What the hell? He's visiting his daughter. They'll do what they want to do.
His daughter's not from here, neither is he. Apparently they have little to no knowledge of the area. I have 36 years of knowledge of the area and was born here. There's nothing much for a tourist to do in Mt Laurel or Marlton for one day, let alone several. If they just want to hang out at her place and go to [mostly chain] restaurants, that's fine. But if they want to do more than that, I gave him some suggestions, which he asked for (what are some good nearby neighborhoods/ways to spend a few days); so you can F right off. If it was a tad long-winded, whatever. You tell him he can go to Starbucks and Walmart after making a 6-7+ hour drive. Wow, such good and interesting advice, I'm sure he couldn't have figured that one out on his own. Maybe you can tell him we have gas stations here too.

Last edited by pclem; 03-03-2022 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
His daughter's not from here, neither is he. Apparently they have little to no knowledge of the area. I have 36 years of knowledge of the area and was born here. There's nothing much for a tourist to do in Mt Laurel or Marlton for one day, let alone several. If they just want to hang out at her place and go to [mostly chain] restaurants, that's fine. But if they want to do more than that, I gave him some suggestions, which he asked for (what are some good nearby neighborhoods/ways to spend a few days); so you can F right off. If it was a tad long-winded, whatever. You tell him he can go to Starbucks and Walmart after making a 6-7+ hour drive. Wow, such good and interesting advice, I'm sure he couldn't have figured that one out on his own. Maybe you can tell him we have gas stations here too.
I can F right off? You failed to mention Haddonfield. Maybe they want to see The Liberty Bell. Maybe they just want to see each other.

You've probably never been to Martha, Hidden Lakes, Bivalve, or the East Point Lighthouse. How about the Greenwich Tea Burning Monument? I didn't think so.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:49 PM

You gave an a-hole answer, I gave one back.

'Maybe they just want to see each other.' If that's all they had planned, he wouldn't post on C-D asking about neighborhoods. Most people when traveling very long distances will do a few touristy things for their trouble.

'Probably never been.' Wrong. I've essentially been to 4 out of 4 of those places; meaning I've been to Pine Barrens ghost towns, I've been to Bivalve and seen the shell mound, I've been to Maurice River near East Point, been to Sea Breeze near Greenwich, been to Cape May lighthouse. I've been to several lakes in the Pine Barrens, including less visited ones. Have canoed two rivers there. Hidden Lakes aka Old Half Way is illegal to go to now and has been part of a WMA patrolled by the state since I was a kid.

Um, the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall is in Center City. Which is where I recommended they go.

Not sure why you're suddenly saying they must go an hour away into the boonies (which as for the Pine Barrens, look pretty much exactly like the NC pine forests, just a little flatter; but 'you've probably never been') rather than 10-15 minutes away. 'What the hell?' Sure, it has its charms and things to see, sure, the 'back way to shore' area is unique and worth visiting, and yes, I could've given them a list of 100 things to do within a 100 mile radius. But instead I wrote one sentence to give them a handful of spots in close proximity. For some reason you poo-poo'd that.

You're 0 for 4, time to tuck tail.

Last edited by pclem; 03-05-2022 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks Pclem, all good to know. We will likely just hang out. Partly depends on the family she stays with. We may take them to dinner if they don't have plans. They are a super family, have been really good to her.

Yes, we may consider running into Philly. Wife and I visited there a couple of years ago and loved it. Reading Market alone was worth the trip. Did a lot of good eating out & around and of course had to run up the Rocky steps! Saw some of Independence Hall but was too crowded some of the time. Would love to see it again.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:09 PM

1,839 posts, read 676,761 times
I prefer the Comfort Inn location although I have never stayed in either property. It used to be a Fairfield Inn not too long ago. I mention this as sometimes over time, the property will deteriorate, the beds will be old, or not be kept up to the same level but as of now, it should be fine.

I have stayed in Comfort Inns elsewhere and usually have no issue with them. But I know some people prefer higher tier brands for a better breakfast or other reasons. Choice Hotels can be hit or miss and they include Rodeway Inn (which is garbage) in their affiliated hotels.

Rates should be lower than a Marriott affilated property, and there is a promo going on with Choice Hotels. If you prefer staying at a higher brand than Choice Hotels, there are some other higher tier hotels there, near the Turnpike area. That area is closer to Cherry Hill, Haddonfield, etc and a lot of non chain restaurants nearby.

The Spring Hill Suites though is a few miles east more away but close to a Wegmans. Being affiliated with Marriott, it is a higher brand. Also depends if you want to earn points with Marriott or whichever chain and what is convenient for your daughter to reach you. Both are in safe locations. Voorhees has a few chain hotels also, but the Mt Laurel side has more. (I’d avoid Maple Shade but most of those to avoid motels aren’t likely in your consideration anyways)

Last edited by g555; 03-08-2022 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 06:58 PM

Got here OK. 9 hour drive. We are at Springhill Suites. Had a great dinner at Carollo’s Little Italy in Moorestown. Traffic was steady but we missed the worst of rush hours around DC and Baltimore. Daughter comes tonight after work. Looking forward to a good visit.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Got here OK. 9 hour drive. We are at Springhill Suites. Had a great dinner at Carollo’s Little Italy in Moorestown. Traffic was steady but we missed the worst of rush hours around DC and Baltimore. Daughter comes tonight after work. Looking forward to a good visit.
Thanks for getting back to us. Moorestown is a nice township with some lovely old homes and buildings. Most of that area - Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Marlton, Medford - are very safe and pretty clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia