U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,455 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job relocation to Cherry Hill, NJ from Palos Verdes Estates, CA (SWest part of LA). My wife and I have a two year old and would consider this a long term move, thus schools, crime (lack thereof) and "things to do" are our biggest issues of focus.

So for all of you Jersey lovers and recent transplants from other areas...

we're looking for suggestions on where to live (we're into newer houses in older, quaint towns)? What are the best school districts? Will we be welcome (as we've heard it's very incestuous and hard to break in to)? What do people do in the winter? summer (other than the shore)? etc.

We've heard Philly people can be old money and snobby and South Jersey gets a little Soprano-ish. I doubt these generalizations are true, but any incling to the types of people we'll run in to would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 05:26 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,499,894 times
lol @ the Suprano comment

Well, Moorestown, NJ, just north of Cherry Hill, was rated the #1 place to live in America in 2005 by Money Magazine. The schools are good, crime is low, and there is just about every amenity you could want. It's a suburban paradise.

I am not as familiar with south Jersey as I am central and northwestern Jersey, but there are plenty of little, older towns with new developments in them, that might interest you. I personally like Mullica Hill, it is cute and clean and rather quaint, and there are new housing developments on the edge of town. It's not too far from Cherry Hill. I am sure there are other folks here with other suggestions as well...

What do people do here? The same stuff you do in California. Skiing is not too far away (the Poconos are probably about 2-3 hours from Cherry Hill). You can visit Philly (minutes away) or Baltimore (1.5 - 2 hours away). You can go to the movies, you can go to a dance club, you can go to the mall, you can go to any number of bars/lounges, you can go to a spa, you can go shopping, gamble in Atlantic City, see a concert or a show in Philly or A.C., in the summer you can go to the beach, there are state parks in south Jersey for camping, many parks have lakes with fishing and paddleboats, some towns have outdoor movies in the summer, also in the summer there are so many fairs and festivals, there are many wineries and pick your own produce farms in central and southern Jersey, you can go see the Philly Eagles or Phillies play...there is no shortage of things to do.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:29 PM

49 posts, read 292,303 times
Moorestown, NJ or Haddonfield, NJ both are great towns in fit your bill.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,621,980 times
Default Soprano's

Funny- Soprano-ish.
You'll be more likely to find that flavor of people in North Jersey, not South Jersey. Closer to NY, more accent & attitude.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 161,547 times
Default Aw, don't worry - they'll accept you in time

Cherry Hill is very city-like, so you won't have a lot of the "old timers" giving you a hard time - don't worry at all about Cherry Hill - you'll be just fine!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 PM

156 posts, read 683,781 times
I don't think Philly people are snobby, and south Jersey isn't soprano-ish, thats up north.
There are lots of nice areas in South Jersey, along the shore is great, Margate, Ventnor,
inland, Haddonfield and Moorestown are nice, Medford is quaint,
and there are lots of areas outside of Phila,like Haverford,Gladwynne,Media,Havertown, Newtown Square, The Main Line,Springfield,
even in PHila. is Manyunk, East Falls,......

Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM

42 posts, read 166,855 times
Cherry Hill is a sprawling town with cookie cutter developments, strip malls, movie theaters, and the Cherry Hill Mall but no center of town. Each development has a community pool you may choose to join. The Erlton pool, because of its proximity to Haddonfiled, has a membership half haddonfield and half cherry hill and is the only CH pool with a waiting list. There are a couple of PATCO stops in Cherry Hill, which may or may not be close to where your development is lcoated.

There are two high schools, East and West. Although they have identical curriculums, the East is perceived to be the "better" of the two, but the "West" the friendlier and there is a lot of competition between the two. There are many parks and fine ball fields, a beautiful, big brand new library, and a lot to offer. Being a large school district, the children are bussed and there are a lot of options to choose from.

I live in neighborhing Haddonfield, which is a small town. I like it better than Cherry Hill because I prefer the diveristiy in architecture, love the center of town and the fact that I can walk to just about everything I need, including the PATCO station and a coffee house that caters to locals. There are some new homes going up in pockets here and there, but mostly you'll find older homes in Haddonfiled. It's harder to hide here, being a small town, but it's also easier to be heard and have an influence. Haddonfield has the reputation of being snobby, but I have found the opposite to be true. Yes, there are lot of families that have grown up here and are now raising thier kids here, but they are welcoming to the newbies, too. Just like in Cherry Hill, there are neighborhos that are perceived as "better" and others as "friendlier."

Both towns run recreation programs for the elementary shcool children during the summer (free in Haddonfiled, a small fee in Cherry Hill), and other programs for middle school kids, but I thinnk most families tend to either hang out at the pool or go to the shore during the summer. If your children are into sports there will be more than enough for you to do in either community.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 10,398 times
Default Haddonfield, NJ or Pasadena, Ca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayer View Post
I am considering a job relocation to Cherry Hill, NJ from Palos Verdes Estates, CA (SWest part of LA). My wife and I have a two year old and would consider this a long term move, thus schools, crime (lack thereof) and "things to do" are our biggest issues of focus.

we're looking for suggestions on where to live (we're into newer houses in older, quaint towns)? What are the best school districts? Will we be welcome (as we've heard it's very incestuous and hard to break in to)? What do people do in the winter? summer (other than the shore)? etc.

We've heard Philly people can be old money and snobby and South Jersey gets a little Soprano-ish. I doubt these generalizations are true, but any incling to the types of people we'll run in to would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.
Hi-I recently posted "Haddonfield, NJ or Pasadena, Ca-did you ever move to Cherry Hill?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,646,022 times
I agree with MoorestownResident. Moorestown is really a nice place to live, close to Philly and quick enough access to the coastal region as well. Not a bad place to raise a family at all. I'm pretty familiar with the area and have never gotten an "old money" or snobby vibe there. Sopranos stuff is way more in the northern part of the state. The accents are more Philadelphia-like the farther south you go.

(Note: I'm not from Moorestown or even the same county, so I have no stake in propping up the town. Just think it's a nice place.)

Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,982,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayer View Post

Thanks in advance.
First, relocating from LA to South Jersey is a smart move. Second, check out Moorestown, Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Medford, Marlton and Mount Laurel for suitable housing. Third, there is absolutely no Soprano's in SJ, that's all NNJ vibe. South Jersey is a wonderful place to live, raise a family, go to the shore, go to Philly and even NYC is accessible by train or car. Despite some of the comments made to the contrary there will be a snob factor in some of these towns especially Moorestown and Haddonfield, but it depends on the neighborhood. Moorestown ranked #1 in the country by Money in 2005 and there is a large ostentatious group living in town including high profile sports figures, captains of industry including one that recently built one of the largest estates in the country. Just giving it to you straight. But there are down to earth sections as well. If you need more info just let me know.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 08-10-2009 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia