U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM

397 posts, read 555,274 times
On that note, does anyone know anything about the presence of gangs in Camden? I'm considering teaching in Camden and don't know much about the gang presence except that it's less than Trenton (which isn't saying much because Trenton has a lot of gang members).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-25-2008, 04:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,956,236 times
it depends on what you mean by "gang". Camden doesn't have the problem with the Bloods that Trenton does but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The Bloods are essentially a black gang. Camden is dominated by Latinos.

Unread 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM

397 posts, read 555,274 times
Any MS13 presence there?

Unread 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,956,236 times
Some people will tell you they're everywhere. From what I've heard they're mostly in deep south jersey - in the migrant (farm) worker communities.

Camden is mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican but in the last 5-10 years there's been a Mexican presence as well. No Salvadorans that I know about but I don't live there either. If you really wanted to find out I'd search MS 13 in the Courier-Post or just online in general and see what comes up.

Unread 10-23-2008, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 55,157 times
Actually, you can get a much better price on a house in N. Camden. I bought just two blocks north of Rutgers and got and extra 400 sq ft of space for one third of the price of the house I had looked at in Cooper Grant (it was on the 300 block of Point). I've been here for almost 4 years now and have had no problems at all! I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Btw, I agree with most of what's been said here so far. One thing though, skip Parkside. Do not buy in a black neighborhood. It's just not worth it. 98% of the shootings in Camden are in those sections. It's a shame because Parkside has some lovely homes.

No matter where you end up, make sure that you talk to people on the block before you make an offer. That's what I did and everyone seemed great. Everyone thought I was insane buying here, but I trusted my gut and like I said, it's been great.

Also, Camden is the ultimate in convenience. Anything you could ever want is within a 10 min drive. There's not much within walking distance, but that never bothered me since we don't live in a climate where it's nice to be out walking for much of the year.

Good luck!

Unread 09-08-2010, 02:01 AM

80 posts, read 94,106 times
hey just wondering and bored but i got lost tonight off 676 and wound up on i believe 7th st and wrapped around to 9th st. and wanted to know what people might think of that area...? i was in that area for about 2 minutes lost driving through my 1st time in camden... i'm sure none of the people i passed are reading this but gollllyyyy... ive been to irvington, the oranges, newark, etc.. but those one way streets make you think twice. anyone familiar with that area especially 9th st 7th wasn't as bad until i mad the turn and then the other turn around 9 at night... just wondering???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia