U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 21,111 times
Default Rating Burlington county schools WITHOUT test scores

Our kids are in the North Hanover Township schools, we are a military family. This is our last assingment, and we may stay here. However I want to move out of the North Hanover/Wrightstown area. I am not happy with the schools here. I have a teaching backround so my expectations of the school environment are high. Sites like Great Schools, don't help me one darn bit! Test scores, statistics and naieve parent ratings don't give the full picture. I am looking for schools that DON'T teach to the test primarily ( I know they all have to somewhat), and that provide hands-on experiences, and not a majority of teachers who are either a)burnt out and do nothing but worksheets all day, or b.) have a lot of new teachers who are inexperienced. I like the Mt. Laurel area (because of the shopping), but I don't know about their schools. I don't want to live in an area that is too rural, because from what I understand, the high schools aren't college prep. Ideally, we would move to a location that is no more than a 45 minute drive from McGuire AFB, so that my husband can commute until he retires. As far as real estate, we will be living off probably the equivalent of two teachers salaries. Not rich! I am willing to buy smaller to live in the school district we put our kids in. But I don't want to be the poor ones or live in a real snooty high school community either where my kids can't compete. Can anyone help me??
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM

7,106 posts, read 13,278,234 times
Our 1st choice was Southampton. Schools are decent, not a lot of problems in the schools from what I knew at the time. I'd found a nice house but it wasn't big enough for us, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, on a crawl space, we needed a basement. He did have a garage. As far as I know the house never sold. The owner does come to CD; found out after I walked it.

We settled in Williamstown, so far the high school is fine. My daughter has had better luck here then in Pemberton township school.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,040,898 times
Lenape is pretty much regarded as one of the top 3 in Burlington County. I think Shawnee is Southampton, and is very good in it's own right.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 21,111 times
Thanks Roselvr and Mike0421.

Mike0421, Why is Lenape regarded one of the top in Burlington County? I read a comment online that it is focused on sports a lot. Do you know about this?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 AM

7,023 posts, read 7,708,964 times
Lenape Regional High School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's not a real dog in the bunch. Each school is a little different from the other. None are perfect.

The staff is a mix: bright and dedicated, stupid and hostile.

There are many, many extracurricular activities. I believe we were issued a catalog when my son went to Cherokee. They offered everything from the ubiquitous football to Russian language club.

I have only one child. He went through Evesham twp. schools then to Cherokee. Not much basis for comparison. I've come to the understanding that it's all about the test. Schools live and die by their test scores.

frontline: testing our schools: testing: testing, assessment, and excellence | PBS

I think that you should have a look in Southampton for a house; the commute should be reasonable.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM

200 posts, read 670,929 times
I lived in Southampton for 10 years. It is a great place to live and the schools are excellent. The high school is Seneca, only about 6 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia