U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM

679 posts, read 1,899,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifled View Post
Oh come on...I doubt ANYBODY does this commute.
First the distance is VERY far...100 miles.
Second...Cherry Hill is pretty much a whole different state.
It's a Philly suburb...that's right it is not EVEN considered part of the NY metro region...you can't NY stations there.

People DO do this commute everyday from Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel, Moorestown Area. The greyhound bus station in Mt Laurel has express buses to the Port Authority in Midtown every 10-15min during rush hour. It takes roughly 1hr 45min in normal conditions.

When I travel to NYC occasionally, there are a good number of commuters with monthly passes who do this everyday. I would personally never do it but it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM

39 posts, read 8,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
People DO do this commute everyday from Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel, Moorestown Area. The greyhound bus station in Mt Laurel has express buses to the Port Authority in Midtown every 10-15min during rush hour. It takes roughly 1hr 45min in normal conditions.

When I travel to NYC occasionally, there are a good number of commuters with monthly passes who do this everyday. I would personally never do it but it can be done.
I highly doubt this is done by other than a couple and I mean a couple of people.
It just makes no sense because not only is it too far, but this is a Philly suburb.
You are not talking about NEPA...the Philly market has oppurtunities..it's not like there is nothing there to do.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM

3,705 posts, read 5,722,060 times
I feel it's like if you already where settled in Cherry Hill and you had this job in the Bronx, and you did not want to move, that's one thing. But you would probably be spending 5 hours a day on the road or buses & subways and that get's real old after about one week.

If you're not settled there and have a choice, why torture yourself like that each day?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM

679 posts, read 1,899,871 times
Quote:
I highly doubt this is done by other than a couple and I mean a couple of people.
It just makes no sense because not only is it too far, but this is a Philly suburb.
You are not talking about NEPA...the Philly market has oppurtunities..it's not like there is nothing there to do.
I'm not saying its the smartest commute but more than a COUPLE of people do it each day. Why else would Greyhound have 10 buses going to NY Port Authority each morning between 5:30 and 7:30am. The demand is obviously there.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM

250 posts, read 584,908 times
Quote:
JerzBoy is right. There is a 5-day/wk monthly pass for commuters from Greyhound Mt.Laurel to Manhattan/New York City. Parking is free. People do it.

Also, it's theoretically possible to live in the luxury apts. across Cherry Hill Mall (Cherry Hill Towers) and catch the 6:50am Boltbus (arrives 8:30) which goes to NYC.

Although relying on Boltbus for commute wouldn't be a good idea (what if the bus doesn't show up?)

Lastly, some also take the RiverLine into Trenton Transit, or drive up to Hamilton for the NEC Line, but I think that's more of the Burlington County crowd.

No doubt Cherry Hill is a Philly town, but there are some workers that commute to Manhattan.
Just a random guess and something I wish I knew exactly: but I'd guess: maybe 40% of CH has some dealing with Philly, 25% elsewhere in PA, 30% work within Southern NJ or Mercer County, 5% other: New York City, Wilmington Delaware

Last edited by subwayfan; 08-17-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia