Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM

250 posts, read 905,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post

If I was the mayor, I might repeal it, let the city go bankrupt, take the state or federal bailout and then re-structure the city with a better tax system.
But you would get cited for letting the city go bankrupt, and wouldn't be re-elected to see the city re-structure. That's the dilemma a politician has to deal with, and would just choose the decision towards re-election. Short term benefits always seem to win because those in power are more concerned with their own interests for elections and re-elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
The OP would probably enjoy the weeknights in the city too, as there are a number of restaurants and things walking distance. In the suburbs its boring. But that's the trade-off. [Wage tax + parking + tolls + extra car wear/tear] for the benefit of living in the city.
Oh definitely! Philly is a great little city. I personally think it's totally worth it if you can afford it, if only for a year or two.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
But you would get cited for letting the city go bankrupt, and wouldn't be re-elected to see the city re-structure. That's the dilemma a politician has to deal with, and would just choose the decision towards re-election. Short term benefits always seem to win because those in power are more concerned with their own interests for elections and re-elections.
O, absolutely. I wanted to do the right thing, in that hypothetical. In real life, yes, I might enjoy the position and want to get re-elected.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:58 PM

13 posts, read 41,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
If you live in Philly - you will have to pay a 4.5% city wage tax. Its basically like taking a pay cut.

Commute would be OK depending on where in Philly. The $4 tolls each day will add up especially when they raise it to $5.
Would I be hit with the wage tax from day 1? I would only be staying for 3-6 months. Would I still be considered an official "resident" of the city?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleo View Post
Would I be hit with the wage tax from day 1? I would only be staying for 3-6 months. Would I still be considered an official "resident" of the city?
If you use a different address in NJ, I guess you could get away with it.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
how about being robbed and/or mugged and/or your place broken into? I moved from Philly. Not a good city anymore my friend. I would highly recommend against it. Car insurance will be twice of NJ + you have to pay a city wage tax..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleo View Post
I'm moving to the area, but I'm not sure how stable my job will be. So, I'm trying to find a short-term lease for a furnished apartment, but I'm having a tough time finding one in South Jersey. I've been checking Craigslist and Philly seems to have more options. What are the pros/cons of living in Philly while working in South Jersey? I know about the tolls; what else do I need to watch out for?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

19 posts, read 41,962 times
I know many people that work in South Jersey and live in Philadelphia.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,647 times
A lot of apartment complexes do offer month-to-month leases, they just don't advertise them. They will ask for a bigger deposit up front, as well as a higher lease, but you're not stuck in the lease.

Everything is negotiable. As long as you have good credit, a lot of property companies would be willing to work with you.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenState View Post
I know many people that work in South Jersey and live in Philadelphia.

yup, right here

Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,181 times
don't even rent furniture- hit up yardsales (or Craigslist) for a few weekends and you'll make out much better-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia