U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM

34 posts, read 69,628 times

Advertisements

Anybody know if this is a safe and family oriented neighborhood?
Any info please. How are the schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 AM

7,780 posts, read 16,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valawny View Post
Anybody know if this is a safe and family oriented neighborhood?
Any info please. How are the schools.
Pennsauken is very diverse.. Some areas are a bit run down.. I would look next door in Maple shade. Its a little more 'upscale' and still diverse and better schools then Pennsauken. You also may look at Merchantville. I feel you are well off enough, because you were looking at cherry hill, and care enough about your family to get the very best for them to settle for Pennsauken and will do an injustice for your family just because there are more black people there.. Ya know?

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-22-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM

You also may look at Palmyra. It has an old time walkable main street and a strong historical assoc and good schools. We almost bought there..

Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM

877 posts, read 2,242,142 times
I remember being at Pennsauken High School about ten years ago for something my sister had to do, it's located in the middle of an industrial park. Last summer I was in this rundown rehearsal room with my old band in an old warehouse in New Brunswick and I said it reminded me of Pennsauken HS.

In all seriousness though, I think the general rule for that area is to stay to the right of Rt 130. I went to that Wawa up on 73 near that industrial park recently, had my back turned for two seconds and someone stole my water bottle. I pull out in my car and the brakes were screeching, makes me wonder if someone got under there and messed around with them when I was in the store. Not to sound racist but I was the only white guy there and they all kinda had there eyes on me as though I was "in the wrong neighborhood."

So that was my Pennsauken experience, judging that it's right next to Camden it's not hard to see the direction it's headed in, and many people have told me since then that it will be the next Irvington in say 15-20 years.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM

I don't believe that for a second. sorry. Cause I know better. Pennsauken HS is older but in very nice shape.. That wawa is nothing like you write. Camden is in the next county, its not that close. Its also been rock solid for 50 years..

Pennsauken High School, Pennsauken, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I remember being at Pennsauken High School about ten years ago for something my sister had to do, it's located in the middle of an industrial park. Last summer I was in this rundown rehearsal room with my old band in an old warehouse in New Brunswick and I said it reminded me of Pennsauken HS.

In all seriousness though, I think the general rule for that area is to stay to the right of Rt 130. I went to that Wawa up on 73 near that industrial park recently, had my back turned for two seconds and someone stole my water bottle. I pull out in my car and the brakes were screeching, makes me wonder if someone got under there and messed around with them when I was in the store. Not to sound racist but I was the only white guy there and they all kinda had there eyes on me as though I was "in the wrong neighborhood."

So that was my Pennsauken experience, judging that it's right next to Camden it's not hard to see the direction it's headed in, and many people have told me since then that it will be the next Irvington in say 15-20 years.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,520,128 times
My mother-in-law lives in Pennsauken off of Rt. 38 and she doesn't have any problems, never did. I don't know how the schools are, though. She sent her children to Bishop Eustace.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM

19,445 posts, read 18,559,580 times
Pennsauken is OK, I know people who live there and my husband works there. It does share a border with Camden and that area is dicey. Frank is right; I'd look at Maple Shade or Palmyra for better schools. A young couple that I met through my hiking club moved to Palmyra last year and are very happy with their decision.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM

here's a nice link to palmyra..

Welcome to the Borough of Palmyra, NJ | Borough of Palmyra

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM

877 posts, read 2,242,142 times
Like I said, the general rule I've heard is to stay east of 130, which both the Wawa and the high school are west of. 38 in Pennsauken is probably fine. The parts that seemed pretty decent were Merchantville and the Iron Rock section by the Country Club. Overall it's probably like New Brunswick is now, not horrible but not so great either.

For the record, Camden and Pennsauken are both in Camden County as well as Cherry Hill. Palmyra and Maple Shade are Burlington. Maple Shade is a cute little town, I had a cousin who lived in Palmyra he bought an old house and fixed it up, but then everyone told him he'd better move because that area was on its way down too. His brother lived in Pennsauken like 30 years ago, but long since left and moved to Maple Shade. Cherry Hill is fine, by far the most expensive of any of these.

I'd probably stick to the Burlington County towns though, property taxes are definitely lower.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 PM

19,445 posts, read 18,559,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Like I said, the general rule I've heard is to stay east of 130, which both the Wawa and the high school are west of. 38 in Pennsauken is probably fine. The parts that seemed pretty decent were Merchantville and the Iron Rock section by the Country Club. Overall it's probably like New Brunswick is now, not horrible but not so great either.

For the record, Camden and Pennsauken are both in Camden County as well as Cherry Hill. Palmyra and Maple Shade are Burlington. Maple Shade is a cute little town, I had a cousin who lived in Palmyra he bought an old house and fixed it up, but then everyone told him he'd better move because that area was on its way down too. His brother lived in Pennsauken like 30 years ago, but long since left and moved to Maple Shade. Cherry Hill is fine, by far the most expensive of any of these.

I'd probably stick to the Burlington County towns though, property taxes are definitely lower.
Close, but no... you live east of 130 if you're in south Pennsauken; north Pennsauken is better. The high school is what it is. The Super Wawa on 73 is not a problem. I'm an AARP eligible, Wonder Bread female and I've never had a problem there. Every town mentioned has a problem area.

Crime is everywhere, especially in this economy. Theft, robbery and burglary are rampant. Rich kids are sometimes the drug dealers in your school.

Life is pretty good down here. My kid got a very nice public education. I've never been a crime victim. I have no fear of going out at night alone.

You'll find a place and fit in well enough. Not everyone will like you, but you know that before you get here. I think that you'll like it better than where you are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia