Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times

Advertisements

well, she's not living in camden. just working there. plenty of people go there for work/school. i used to work on haddon ave in the hospital hr dept. and i drove there everyday from philly. it's fine in the daytime because of the workforce. and quite a few people take the light rail (PATCO) in and out of the city. of course, i wouldn't be hanging around haddon ave late at night or anything.

i wouldn't be so alarmed. there are plenty of nice places suggested already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,772 times
I've been working in Camden for about 7 months... you really have 2 options for easish commutes into Camden... one is out and through Cherry Hill into Mt Laurel I believe. The other is down South (towards Mullica Hill) or South East (towards Atlantic City).

You can find nicer areas geographically closer to Camden going the Cherry Hill route but the traffic and stop lights are terrible. If you go the other way you'll have to go a bit farther to get past the rough edges and than it ends up being more rural but safe suburbia.

For a young single person, I'd recommend staying around Cherry Hill for the night life, social scene, and shopping.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Collingswood and Haddon Township are good suburban options that give you easy access to Camden via the PATCO train. If you want to live in Camden proper then I would recommend the Victor Lofts on the Camden Waterfront.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-17-2010 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: No links to specific properties.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Collingswood and Haddon Township are good suburban options that give you easy access to Camden via the PATCO train. If you want to live in Camden proper then I would recommend the Victor Lofts on the Camden Waterfront.

Mod cut
Just be careful with a car there... tight streets... lack of parking... very nice old areas but the areas were built pre-car and hasn't really been adapted well but they are both great walking cities.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,520 times
They should really offer hazard / combat zone pay for working in camden. I believe the countries the govt offering first tier combat zone pay is safer than camden...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
They should really offer hazard / combat zone pay for working in camden. I believe the countries the govt offering first tier combat zone pay is safer than camden...
When I was in college, my roommate used to say if you go to Camden and park your car, and then someone comes up to you and offers to watch your car if you give him/her $20, DO IT! Otherwise there won't be anything left of it when you get back!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,633 times
I second (third, etc.) Collingswood, Westmont, Haddonfield and taking PATCO to work- GREAT towns to live in, and very short commute. My sister works as a nurse in the hospital in Camden, and she takes the train to work on a regular basis. Sometimes she works odd/late hours, too, and she's been fine. Take the necessary precautions, be aware of your surroundings, and just use some common sense while commuting; you'll have no reason to worry.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
..... Also, there's Gloucester which is definitely a lot better than Camden, and is very close.
If you are not white, I'd disregard Gloucester. Haddonfield is nice but very family oriented, read:quiet. Cherry Hill would be my recommendation.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 AM

322 posts, read 547,050 times
Whereas I agree that Camden is most definately not going to make the cover of "Better Homes and Gardens" anytime soon, I think some of the responses are a little over the top. Camden has been going back and forth with Detroit as the "Murder Capital of the US" for years now, but that doesn't mean that you're going to be shot if you set foot in it, and quite frankly I've seen parts of DC that are rougher than Camden.

If you are used to an Urban enviornment, and understand how to conduct yourself, you'll be fine. Don't turn down a street full of boarded up houses and ask the guy on the corner for directions, Don't wander into unfamiliar areas just to see what's there, etc.

I worked in Camden briefly and have been there many times for different reasons and I can tell you that the people there are just people. Poor doesn't equal savage.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
If your job has a secured parking area that isn't far from the office, driving into Camden really isn't that bad, and might even be easier than taking the train especially if you have to walk a little bit to and from the train station by yourself. Towns near 295, 55 or 42 like Pitman, Sewell, Turnersville, Blackwood could also work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia