Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,559 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!!!!

Just wanted to say really quick that this forum is awesome

Quick background on our family: Family of 5 (2 adults 3 kids ages 10, 7. & 3). I'm working in Philly near the airport and my husband works at McGuire (Go Airforce!!!!!), I wanted to find a good location (don't we all????lol) that has good summer programs for my girls (it would be awesome if an area had full day K, but that seems pretty rare out here), pretty safe environment for when my hubby is gone for months on end (which is why we're looking at town homes for some their apartment type perks they offer)

I had a question about The Cove at Cinnaminson Harbour, because I was told that this area is not very popular due to it being in an industrialized area and that there is a problem with gang bangers from other areas riding the River Line and causing trouble for some students who ride the train. Now, the town homes look beautiful, but if the property is nice, and the area is declining, then it's not worth it....But I wanted to know if it was just an isolated incident or is it really becoming a problem?

We're also attending an open house for another town home in Mt. Laurel near County Rd 537 & Ark, can I get some feedback for that area too from someone who live near there?

One last home that I thought was just beautiful was in Pennsauken, near Forklanding Rd not too far from 38, and wanted to get an idea about that area too. I used to stay in Maple Shade (in Fox Meadows) and had to go near that section for my daughter's school and it seemed okay....

Any help that is given is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
I live in Cinnaminson. That end of town is industrial, but I never heard of any gang activity related to the Light Rail.

Especially near that Cinnaminson station, there's nothing around there.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM

67 posts, read 218,570 times
I live in Mt. Laurel near that location. It's a nice area, but if you are right on Ark Road, be aware that the road backs up sometimes in the morning and evening. Traffic on this side of Mt. Laurel isn't bad, but I know people that live on Ark have a hard time getting in and out of their driveway.

I teach with someone who lives in townhouses off of Larchmont Blvd (5 min away), by the swim club. She has neighbors that are selling their 3BR townhouses for $225-250. In their neighborhood, they own their home outright (no HOA), so they take care of their own lawns, show shoveling, etc., but that gives you a good indication of what you can expect.

Avoid anything on Larchmont Blvd. between NJ 38 and Union Mill (Willow Turn area). It's the only area of Mt. Laurel I'd be concerned about.

There are some good areas of Pennsauken, but if you're looking for great schools, you're better off going with Cinnaminson. Pennsauken is right next to Camden, and while you may find yourself surrounded by great neighbors, not all of Pennsauken is nice.

As far as Cinnaminson, I know some people that live/have lived there, and they like it. It's not the most amazing town, but it is certainly nice. I'd also consider Palmyra (right next to Tacony-Palmyra bridge), Maple Shade, or Cherry Hill.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
I'd stay away from Pennsauken. Cinnaminson and Mt Laurel are fine. Cinnaminson is smaller, but not so small that it doesnt have the full compliment of sports and activities in town, and the schools are all located within the town.

Mt Laurel is larger and more of a regional set up with several grade schools and you go to Cherokee? for HS. (One of the Indian schools I get them confused)

I'm not saying one is better or worse, just different.

If 38 and Ark is near Delancey Place (where my sister used to live LOL) I'd be leary. Delancey in Larchmont is completely ghetto

I can say that I have one child who is a gifted student, and one who had numerous learning issues, and the Cinnaminson school system thus far, has done a terrific job with both of them.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 AM

67 posts, read 218,570 times
Delancey is on the south side of Rt 38 - the one area I'd avoid. I live in Summit Apartments, across from the plaza on Rt 38, and have never had a problem here.

Mt. Laurel students go to Lenape HS.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 15,559 times
Thanks for the info! The Mt. Laurel townhome was a bit small....smaller than the apartment I'm in now, so we're going to pass on that....The Cinnaminson town home was bigger and offered some pretty good incentives for military, but I'm wondering if the HOA will sky rocket once the clubhouse is built.

We spoke to a few people who were out and walking around and they seem to really like it over there. I even saw one family moving in and thought to myself, the places are selling pretty quickly.....The one thing we were concerned with is that the perks mentioned were based on going thru their mortgage company....We were already approved with our current bank and already have a good association with our loan officer, but business is business unfortunately....

If anyone else cares to chime in about the area, then please let me know. Thanks !!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
The gang related info to the light rail is about 95% B.S. For the most part, people like that avoid the RiverLINE partly because NJT police regularly ride it to check for tickets and plus it's really easy to get caught while making your get away in a vehicle with a fixed guide-way. I do think it is a really lovely area though (at least from what I saw from the light rail)

Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
we looked into this complex last year too. We liked it but decided on a single home instead. Cinnaminson is a very nice area. No trouble at all. The River line is very safe and have only head one issue and that was where it stops at the Camden station... Its right on the river and the townhomes are very nice. Id recommend it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia