U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM

13,569 posts, read 15,937,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
My road test was much shorter than NJGOAT's. I took it in 2001 and all I had to do was parallel park, pull out of the space, turn right out of the parking lot onto Hampton Rd. Drive for a mile or less. Turn left into an abandoned parking lot. Do a K-turn to turn around in the parking lot. Turn right back onto Hampton Road and then a left back into the inspection station. Was very easy.
I took mine in '97. I imagined it might have changed by then, but yours sounded ridiculously easy. Amazing how little effort it takes to get a license, no wonder so many people suck at driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

81 posts, read 151,409 times
I took it back in 2001 but I heard Cherry Hill was "hard" so I signed up to take it down in Winslow They don't take you on a real street there, you just drive around the parking lot.

Make sure you bring a car that has an emergency/parking break in between the front seats (not a foot pedal). I know they pulled mine right away when I started driving. Even though I was expecting it it still freaked me out!

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally315 View Post
Make sure you bring a car that has an emergency/parking break in between the front seats (not a foot pedal). I know they pulled mine right away when I started driving. Even though I was expecting it it still freaked me out!

Good luck!
Excellent point, I forgot about that requirement. I had to borrow my mom's friends car for the test as none of ours had a center console e-brake.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM

12,678 posts, read 12,213,993 times
Well, when I had my driving test you had to go to Berlin for the written test & when you passed they gave your an appointment to go back for the road test. Then a state trooper would have you drive around Berlin.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 AM

608 posts, read 667,938 times
I took mine in 1988.I remember the day well, went to the DMV at the inspection station by Route 38 and the Courier post building. Guy had me drive around that neighborhood and parallel park. I failed for going over the speed limit but passed everything else. Then we had to drive all the way down to the DMV office in Cherry Hill to get my license. I remember telling him "my foot's so big I wear a size 14 shoe which is why I was speeding"

I dont know if they still do this but my sophomore year at CH WEst we take the drivers ed class and the actual written test. If you pass with an 80 they give you an official card to take to the DMV so you dont have to take the test again. Well about a month ago I am going through some old papers and I found the card! I managed to pass with an 80!

Do they still do this?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 AM

arrgy - Not sure if they still do it, but mine worked the same way with taking the test in school and getting the card. Once I had the card I could apply for a learner's permit at 16 1/2 and then when I was 17 I could take the road test and get my liscense.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

81 posts, read 151,409 times
Arrgy, they do still do this. It worked that way when I took it at CH East my soph year and I'm a high school teacher in Medford and it's exactly the same way. I think each question is worth 2 points also, so you can't get more than 10 wrong. And the last question is always something like "True or False: Driving is a right." They would tell us all the time in Driver's Ed that driving is a privelage not a right!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 AM

6,522 posts, read 4,307,641 times
I took mine in Berlin, and failed twice because I couldn't parallel park. My mother had to pay for me to get parallel parking lessons from a driving school, and even then I only passed the 3rd time because the tester had pity for me! So of course my mother now lives in NE Philly, where I have to parallel ark every time I go up to see her.

Good luck to all those taking your tests!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM

992 posts, read 2,264,768 times
I took it in Delanco in an 83 Cadillac... parallel parking that sucker was a pain.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 AM

12,678 posts, read 12,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
I took it in Delanco in an 83 Cadillac... parallel parking that sucker was a pain.
I know what you mean. I had to parallel park my mother's 63 or 64 Impala. Fortunately, the state trooper knew that there was no way that the car could fit the spot, so when I got half-way in, he said that was good enough, since the car was too big, & to just go into the K-turn.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-07-2010 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia