U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM

12,259 posts, read 11,512,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There's a lot of good advice so far and you really wouldn't go wrong with any of those towns. I used to live in Moorestown and work in Center City and I used to take 295 down to Woodcrest station to pick up PATCO. Cinnaminson is another option in Burlington County and that gives you pretty easy access to the Riverline and then a transfer to PATCO in Camden to get to the city.

Outside of that if you want the more open space feel the Logan/Woolwich/Swedesboro area in Gloucester County has fantastic schools and a ton of new developments to choose from, but is definitely a "driving" commute.

Let us know where about (cross street) in the city that your husband will be working. A lot of people (myself included) are assuming that he can take PATCO and get to where he wants to go. PATCO services a pretty narrow corridor and if your job is a decent distance from the stations you are either looking at a good walk, a cab ride or hopping on SEPTA. All of which may just create more hassle than driving.
I passed on the Swedesboro area because of the commute, but you're right about it. I brought up Pitman because they have an excellent school system, K-12 near where she asked about (Sewell) & my sister lives there & tells me that the long awaited speedline spur is going to go to Glassboro (which is adjacent to Pitman) She also tells me that budget crisis or not, the state is pouring money, like there's no tomorrow, into Glassboro & Rowan University.

You're right, of course, about the Philly location. Her concept of downtown might not be Center City. The next most likely area, if it's not Center City might be in or near University City or Powellton Village, which could be easily accessed by transfering to the Market/Frankford Elevated at 8th & Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM

657 posts, read 699,148 times
The places mentioned are very good but there are things you have to consider. IF you have to commute to Philly everyday and end up living along 42 south or south of 295 (Pitman, The Deptfords, Swedesboro, Gloucester County), you will have to drive into Philly and anyone will tell you the "normal" 20 minute up 42N will take a minimum of 45 minutes in the mornings. I suggest you "live along the PATCO" as someone suggested. The train runs every 6 minutes in the morning and the schools ( 15 min to Philly) along the train are decent. I'd have to say that Eastern in Vorhess is not a "great school", though. Haddonfield is much better but proprty taxes are among the highest and they are going to experience extreme cuts in 2010-2011 due to Gov. Chrristies blantant disregard for education.
We live in Collingswood (www.collingswood.com) and enjoy it very much. You can get a Victorian for less than $400k and a fixer upper for less than that. Schools are decent and highly rooted into technology education. The town is a little more "city-hip-vibey" and the closest suburb to Philly. Property taxes are not "low" but thats NJ!

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 04-07-2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
The places mentioned are very good but there are things you have to consider. IF you have to commute to Philly everyday and end up living along 42 south or south of 295 (Pitman, The Deptfords, Swedesboro, Gloucester County), you will have to drive into Philly and anyone will tell you the "normal" 20 minute up 42N will take a minimum of 45 minutes in the mornings. I suggest you "live along the PATCO" as someone suggested. The train runs every 6 minutes in the morning and the schools ( 15 min to Philly) along the train are decent. I'd have to say that Eastern in Vorhess is not a "great school", though. Haddonfield is much better but proprty taxes are among the highest and they are going to experience extreme cuts in 2010-2011 due to Gov. Chrristies blantant disregard for education.
We live in Collingswood (www.collingswood.com) and enjoy it very much. You can get a Victorian for less than $400k and a fixer upper for less than that. Schools are decent and highly rooted into technology education. The town is a little more "city-hip-vibey" and the closest suburb to Philly. Property taxes are not "low" but thats NJ!
Thanks for verifying Eastern Regional as the high school for Voorhees. I did not recommend Voorhees for that reason.

The reason that I did suggest Pitman is that PATCO is going there, & the OP asked about Sewell. My sister has lived in Pitman for over 30 years & has many neighbors who commute to Philly. The current route is to get on 55 to 42 to 295 north to the Woodcrest station. Once a local station is open to the Pitman area it will just be local roads, just like the Camden County towns that I mentioned.

It's unfair to simply state that Haddonfield will experience extreme educational budget cuts. Every district in the state will experience cuts.

I like Collingswood, & I've never heard anything bad about the schools, but never heard anything good, either. Haddonfield frequently has ranked number 1 in the state.

Yes, I currently live in NC, but lived in Cherry Hill for over 40 years, so that counts for something.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 16,164 times
Thank you for all the replies. To add a little more clarification my husband will most likely need to drive him self to work, and he will be working somewhere around market st and 6th street. When I refer to family friendly area, I guess I am looking for young families that live in neighborhood where they like to be social with each other (kids and adults). We live in a very social neighborhood and I would love to have this there. I have to say I tend to like the newer (10years or less) homes. We are losing alot of money on our home here and hoping not to get ourselves into the same situation should we leave in 3-5 years. You all are right taxes are extremely high, what is the best way to find out how much property taxes are? (as well as how much the home was originally purchased for?) I really do appreciate the help/orientation to philadelphia (ie. center city). This is helpful especially for out of state relocators. Thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw22 View Post
Thank you for all the replies. To add a little more clarification my husband will most likely need to drive him self to work, and he will be working somewhere around market st and 6th street. When I refer to family friendly area, I guess I am looking for young families that live in neighborhood where they like to be social with each other (kids and adults). We live in a very social neighborhood and I would love to have this there. I have to say I tend to like the newer (10years or less) homes. We are losing alot of money on our home here and hoping not to get ourselves into the same situation should we leave in 3-5 years. You all are right taxes are extremely high, what is the best way to find out how much property taxes are? (as well as how much the home was originally purchased for?) I really do appreciate the help/orientation to philadelphia (ie. center city). This is helpful especially for out of state relocators. Thanks
Most of the neighborhoods in any of the mentioned towns with have some people who are more sociable than others.

If your husband is working in the Olde City section of Center City, at 6th & Market, he should consider the Speedline. I worked in that immediate area, the 400 block of Market St., years ago & know some people who still do. He would have to pay monthly parking which is horrendous. They can get away with the god-awful parking rates because it's a tourist area.

He can easily walk from the 8th & Market Highspeedline station. I did it & I was working 3rd shift & I'm female.

You can do deed-searches at the county courthouse to check on properties.

When you actually buy it there is some information on the land that will be on your papers

Not to tell you what to do, but, the new construction is where people are losing their shirts. However, an older house purchased in the last several years went at an inflated price as well. What you want is to look in an older, established neighborhood & hope to find something that you like where the sellers are older & have been there for many years & are selling out to go somewhere with lower taxes for their retirement, or possibly, having died, & the heirs are selling it. Those are the people with wiggle room in prices. The towns with the best schools are Haddonfield, Moorestown, Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights, & Pitman, (unless you want to go to Swedesboro, but I did that too & it's a miserable drive in rush hour). There will be very little new construction, but those are sought-after locations & you will find people of all ages in the neighborhoods.

There is a lot of newer construction in Mt Laurel. I worked with someone who moved there & he was very unhappy with the schools that his children attended.

That's where you have to make a choice, the best schools are in older established towns with little new construction.

Look on realtor.com & Yahoo realestate in those towns, at least to start. It should tell you what year the house was built.

Let us know what else you need. Hopefully they will be subdividing NJ soon which should encourage more people from South Jersey to join.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,044,483 times
Unfortunately they are completely screwing up the Patco Expansion in South Jersey. They're doing Light Rail meaning it won't go directly into Philly and they aren't going all the way down the line to Vineland and Millville (two population centers of South Jersey and my home, personally I am quite bitter about it not going all the way down) Overall though, Light Rail is better than no-rail. I wouldn't by a house along the expansion because of the new spur just yet, because it's going to be at least a good 5-10 years before it's up and running.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 AM

2,665 posts, read 2,210,938 times
Everyone's different but I can't image moving into the area, getting a job at 6th and Market with a $400K home budget and interested in family/schools and not picking Haddonfield. The speedline just makes it so convenient and the school/community is excellent. Admittedly, you would have to settle on an older, less square foot home and smaller yard than you're likely used to. Haddon Township and Cherry Hill are also possibilities.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 15,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skw22 View Post
You all are right taxes are extremely high, what is the best way to find out how much property taxes are? (as well as how much the home was originally purchased for?)
You can find property-specific information (tax history and past sale information) on the NJ Property Tax Database.

Mike

Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 AM

657 posts, read 699,148 times
Not to cut you down Southbound! Haddonfield would be my school of choice as well. You may have missed them being on the local news in the last 3 weeks as to being particularly affected by Christies's cuts. They had a town meeting and lots of people came to save sports, teachers and programs...all in advance of most other towns because the folks in Haddonfiled are "taxed out". The buildings are outdated and in need of help. That was why I cited them as being in trouble. The poster may have to weigh staying in a place like Haddonfield for "4 to 5 years" and still be in the plus on a resale. Haddonfield being one of the best also comes with the highest price.."you get what you pay for". For this reason, I think Collingswood is the better bet on more reasonable but you don't get a #1 rated school like Haddonfield...a rare find.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM

2,665 posts, read 2,210,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's unfair to simply state that Haddonfield will experience extreme educational budget cuts. Every district in the state will experience cuts.
Actually Haddonfield is in great shape as the received very little state education money and was therefore cut very little proportionally speaking. iirc, they are now one of the few sj districts done with state education aid and therefore not subject to more cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia