Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 PM

877 posts, read 2,827,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Isn't the high school involved for Voorhees Eastern Regional?
Yes, my cousins went there, they lived in Voorhees. That high school also gets kids from Berlin and Atco as well.

Somewhat irrelevant, but I'm curious. How does Delran compare to the surrounding areas? I know it's the next town up on 130 from Cinnaminson, but how is it in comparison? What other towns in the area does it compare to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,592,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Yes, my cousins went there, they lived in Voorhees. That high school also gets kids from Berlin and Atco as well.

Somewhat irrelevant, but I'm curious. How does Delran compare to the surrounding areas? I know it's the next town up on 130 from Cinnaminson, but how is it in comparison? What other towns in the area does it compare to?
If you ask me, Delran is comprable to Cinnaminson.. those were the 2 towns we looked in when I moved out of Riverton.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Here's something to give you a general idea about the socio economics of a town.

School districts in New Jersey are categorized into District Factor Groups, which describe the socio-economic characteristics of the local district. From lowest socio-economic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.

Here's the page with all the district factor groups by town.

NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts

People overlook Cinnaminson sometimes the DFG for Cinnaminson is the same as Lenape (GH)

Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,489,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Here's something to give you a general idea about the socio economics of a town.

School districts in New Jersey are categorized into District Factor Groups, which describe the socio-economic characteristics of the local district. From lowest socio-economic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.

Here's the page with all the district factor groups by town.

NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts

People overlook Cinnaminson sometimes the DFG for Cinnaminson is the same as Lenape (GH)
It's good that you mentioned that. A lot of people overlook that information as while it is supposed to pertain to school district data, it is definitely a useful indicator of a towns socio-economic status. Even having lived in NJ for my entire life, I still used the DFG data to help me compare towns when we were shopping for a home.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
great info.. Never seen that chart before. Cinna is better then Delran and Delanco, Palmyra, Maple shade etc .. nice..

Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Well as soon as someone posts a thread looking to move into the area, everyone automatically says Medford, Mt Laurel, Marlton. I'd much rather commute to CC from Cinnaminson than Marlton.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:22 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,256,763 times
Quote:
Thanks for verifying Eastern Regional as the high school for Voorhees. I did not recommend Voorhees for that reason.
Sorry I must've missed the rest of this thread until now. As Graysferry said, yes Eastern is the high school in Voorhees, but this thread is the first place where I've ever heard of it not being considered at the very least a very good school. I admitted that Haddonfield was the best, but Eastern is no slouch.

A couple quick numbers from the NJ school report card:
Graduation rate: 96.2% class of '09 (state average 93.3%), 98.9% class of '08 (state average 92.8%), 99.7% class of '07 (state average 92.3%)
2008-2009 Math/Verbal SAT: 1099 (state average 1009)

No I don't live there, but in my opinion Voorhees is the best bang for your buck in all of SJ in terms of housing affordability, safety, schools, and easy access to Philly.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
The towns with the best schools are Haddonfield, Moorestown, Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights, & Pitman, (unless you want to go to Swedesboro, but I did that too & it's a miserable drive in rush hour).
So you did not recommend Voorhees because of Eastern, but suggested Pitman, Haddon Heights and Kingsway (Swedesboro)? Don't get me wrong, they are all good schools, but Eastern is just as good and probably better than all three of them, and a quick look at the numbers back that up. Eastern had higher math/verbal SAT scores than all three of them, and Haddon Heights and Kingsway were actually just about at the state average. It also had a much higher percentage of students going on to 4-year colleges. It actually had arguably better numbers than Cherry Hill West as well.

Just curious, what makes you think that Eastern High School "isn't great"?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
how do you figure? Cinnaminson district is just as good (according to the chart) and the homes are a bit more inexpensive and its a whole lot closer to CC too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Sorry I must've missed the rest of this thread until now. As Graysferry said, yes Eastern is the high school in Voorhees, but this thread is the first place where I've ever heard of it not being considered at the very least a very good school. I admitted that Haddonfield was the best, but Eastern is no slouch.

A couple quick numbers from the NJ school report card:
Graduation rate: 96.2% class of '09 (state average 93.3%), 98.9% class of '08 (state average 92.8%), 99.7% class of '07 (state average 92.3%)
2008-2009 Math/Verbal SAT: 1099 (state average 1009)

No I don't live there, but in my opinion Voorhees is the best bang for your buck in all of SJ in terms of housing affordability, safety, schools, and easy access to Philly.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
how do you figure? Cinnaminson district is just as good (according to the chart) and the homes are a bit more inexpensive and its a whole lot closer to CC too.
Cinnaminson is a nice town with pretty good schools too, but although it's easy to drive to the stadiums and such from there, it's probably easier to commute to Philly for work on PATCO (although I'm not too familiar with the RiverLine thing and it looks like you can transfer to PATCO from there so I'm not sure how that is).

That chart looks like it mainly just measures socio-economic data, not the actual performance of the schools. Cinnaminson high for one has pretty good numbers, but Eastern has better SAT scores, about equal graduation rates, and more students going on to 4-year colleges. (By the way, I hate using all these numbers to judge schools, as I went to a school with relatively poor numbers and think I got just as good as an education as kids that went to a lot of other area schools, but it is really the best way to compare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia