Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Just to chime in. When I referred to eastern as "not that great" but didn't elaborate on it, that is exactly what I meant. I've heard the social enviornment can vary greatly. While that does exist at every school, the area supports a wide variety of "very wealthy" and very moderate. Think "Pretty in Pink" and you might understand better. Not every kid has the means both emotionaly and econmically to thrive in an enviornment like that.
Precisely.

It's a money thing & geography plays into it. It's been that way since I became aware of the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
My cousins went to Eastern Regional and I don't really think they had anything bad to say about it. My older one I remember didn't want to go there initially and tried to give them my grandmother's address so she could go to Cherry Hill East. That never happened, but they both did relatively well at Eastern. She ended up going to University of Chicago and her brother went to Rutgers.

Honestly, school system rankings shouldn't be a major concern as long as they are decent enough. You will do well anywhere as long as you have the will to. Wherever you go it will be what you make of it.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Just did a fast search. Eastern Regional ranks 79 out of 316 statewide. Haddon Twp is 80. Cherry Hill East is 61 and West is 96. The highest ranking in the area is Haddonfield Memorial at 14.

I know someone here not too long ago said Pennsauken HS ranks 290 out of 316 statewide. All the others mentioned are in the top 100.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 18,832 times
Thanks Southbound for referring this post. LOT's of great info.!!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving T. View Post
Thanks Southbound for referring this post. LOT's of great info.!!
You're welcome!

We'll be expecting lots of questions. (I'm coming & going so pick up some posts right away, others, not so quickly.)

Old 05-07-2010, 08:21 AM

12 posts, read 18,832 times
great thread, took me two days to read. (popping in and out) I'm curious if the OP made a decision and if so, what it is. I am basically in the very same situation and desire the same things. #1 being great schools. I've learned that Haddonfield, Moorestown & Cherry Hill seems to have the best of what I'm looking for.
I'm suprised no one made mention of Camden, it's my understanding that Camden has some very bad/dangerous areas. How close is that to any of these towns and is crime a big problem? (more so than the average town?)

Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Camden is dangerous, but pretty much self-contained. All the areas you mentioned are low crime. I would drive around the areas before you move, as all 3 are nightmarish (IMO) traffic-wise. I lived in Marlton 13 years and moved down here because I couldn't deal with all the traffic anymore. Haddonfield is walkable though if you're near downtown, but honestly I would be surprised if $400,000 gets much in Moorestown or Haddonfield. My boss lives in Haddonfield and loves it (they are neighbors of Chase Utley!!) but it's her mother-in-law's place or they'd never have been able to afford it. If you can't find enough, don't discount other areas you mentioned like Mullica Hill, which are very nice, have good schools and better traffic-wise. A lot depends if you are planning to drive to Philly or take the train. Voorhees is another area to consider which is close to the train with upper end homes, but not as upper end as Moorestown and Haddonfield.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving T. View Post
great thread, took me two days to read. (popping in and out) I'm curious if the OP made a decision and if so, what it is. I am basically in the very same situation and desire the same things. #1 being great schools. I've learned that Haddonfield, Moorestown & Cherry Hill seems to have the best of what I'm looking for.
I'm suprised no one made mention of Camden, it's my understanding that Camden has some very bad/dangerous areas. How close is that to any of these towns and is crime a big problem? (more so than the average town?)
As ocnjgirl said, Camden is not a factor at all (unless you get jury duty)

If you look in Cherry Hill, you want Barclay Farms or Wexford Leas. They were built by Bob Scarborough & they were the best quality houses in town, at the times that they were built. There are some nice houses in Erlton as well. Those homes were mostly built prior to the big build-up of Cherry Hill.

Haddon Heights is also a good town. They have schools about on a par with Cherry Hill, & the section of Barrington that is adjacent to it gives you about the same & good schools. (Barrington kids go to Haddon Heights for high school.)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Well this is going to be the third thread where I defend Eastern, so obviously I'm biased. I graduated from there in '09 and I can say I've never heard of or seen this "darker" side of the school that people are referring to. With kids coming in from Voorhees, Gibbsboro, and Berlin Borough, obviously there will be wealth disparity, but not to the point where there's a class system of rich kids running the school. Some of the things I've read here are absurd and ridiculous, to say the least. I'm a new member here, so that's just my 2 cents, sorry for disturbing the flow of the conversation.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM

43 posts, read 97,219 times
soug, as another new member, I appreciate your comments both here and elsewhere. Since the purpose of this website is to give newcomers a feel for an area, all opinions are valuable and everybody has a different perspective to share. Keep posting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia