Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Southern Jersey but there may be a job opportunity in the future for one of us so we're looking at schools (middle/high). Our son needs some help with Asperger Syndrome and some adaptive classes (math, p.e.). Otherwise he is on the honor roll, well read, very science oriented.

If anyone could let me know about decent schools in the area around or near Deptford I'd appreciate it.

Also how hard is it to find a pet friendly rental?
Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't know anything about Southern Jersey but there may be a job opportunity in the future for one of us so we're looking at schools (middle/high). Our son needs some help with Asperger Syndrome and some adaptive classes (math, p.e.). Otherwise he is on the honor roll, well read, very science oriented.

If anyone could let me know about decent schools in the area around or near Deptford I'd appreciate it.

Also how hard is it to find a pet friendly rental?
Thanks very much.
I'll ask my sister. She & her husband have taught special ed in South Jersey for 35 years.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'll ask my sister. She & her husband have taught special ed in South Jersey for 35 years.
Thanks, just trying to cover all bases.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks, just trying to cover all bases.
You're welcome.

My 1st inclination is St. John of God, but I'll check w/her. She has laryngitis right now, so it might be a few days before she can talk on the phone.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Well, it would have to be a public school.
I'm looking at Moorestown or Haddonfield because both were rated highly but that doesn't mean the special ed. is good.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
You couldn't go wrong with Moorestown or Haddonfield, but affordable don't usually go with those towns and rentals are few and far between.

I would take a serious look at Haddon Twp. The school district is very good and there are affordable rentals and even some apartment complexes that are in the district in nice areas. It is a smaller school with a very community feel, but they offer a huge array of services. My mom has worked there for almost 25 years and they really work hard to cater to individual students needs.

Outside of that Collingswood has had a long standing reputation as a district with an excellent special needs/education program. It isn't the "best" school in the area, but it may offer exactly what you are looking for.

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong in any of the good districts in the area and there are plenty. The only thing I would look out for is the size of the school. I don't know your son, but there are some districts around here with 2k plus students in a single high school and that may be a little overwhelming on a daily basis, or it may help him blend in. Others like Haddon Twp. are much smaller with around 600 students total, but still offer top notch services where he may feel more comfotable in a tighter knit school community.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Thank you.
I have to say the people here have been so nice in posting replies.

Could I get in another post and ask how the economy is in Southern Jersey/in these areas not far from Philly? We're serious about moving out of VT and I happened to stumble across something regarding this area & good schools and thought, 'maybe....'

Thanks again.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
It really depends on the industry you are in and what you are looking to do. The area has a very diverse job base and overall isn't any worse/better than the rest of the country in terms of the economy. NJ itself is going through some major issues resulting in state cutbacks that are effecting local towns, but overall we seem to be moving in the right direction.

Pretty much most things here job and entertainment wise tend to revolve around Philadelphia and that is still the economic epicenter for the area. There are plenty of other employers in South Jersey in everything from finance and insurance to automotive and warehousing. The medical industry is one of the larger employers in both Philadelphia and South Jersey as we have a ton of medical centers, lab facilities and pharmaceutical manufacturers.

What industries are you looking for employment in?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Pretty much most things here job and entertainment wise tend to revolve around Philadelphia and that is still the economic epicenter for the area. There are plenty of other employers in South Jersey in everything from finance and insurance to automotive and warehousing. The medical industry is one of the larger employers in both Philadelphia and South Jersey as we have a ton of medical centers, lab facilities and pharmaceutical manufacturers.

What industries are you looking for employment in?
That sounds awesome.

My husband currently does inventory/medical inventory for a hospital (materials management) but has a ton of shipping & warehouse experience as well. I may try to get some sort of English as a Second Language training because that is an area I am very interested in.

I have a teaching degree (MS)and certification from NY. So I'd like to get back into education at some point or a job in a university. (I also have a lot of administrative experience).

Originally I'm from NY but wound up here in Northern New England but after a few years I really can't hack the rampant unemployment, the cold and long winters, and the lack of things to do. Also I am most unhappy about the schools.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
southern NJ is a fine area to hang your hat. Schools are really good.. Jobs are pretty plentiful(as good as it can get in this economy)

Good luck

I have heard good things about Cinnaminson school district too. Super area too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia