U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM

43 posts, read 57,216 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
Are there any additional taxes or other things to take into consideration if I live in NJ suburbs (Cherry Hill area) and work in Philadelphia? Also, how difficult / expensive / time consuming is it to find parking at the drop and ride parking lots in Cherry Hill / Ashland area? I understand many people do this commute - anybody have firsthand experience? The job opportunity I'm considering is in Center City and we are thinking of living in Cherry Hill or Voorhees.
Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM

13,043 posts, read 12,903,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygreentea View Post
Hi guys,
Are there any additional taxes or other things to take into consideration if I live in NJ suburbs (Cherry Hill area) and work in Philadelphia? Also, how difficult / expensive / time consuming is it to find parking at the drop and ride parking lots in Cherry Hill / Ashland area? I understand many people do this commute - anybody have firsthand experience? The job opportunity I'm considering is in Center City and we are thinking of living in Cherry Hill or Voorhees.
Thanks for any input!
I started taking the PATCO line within months of when it opened. I lived in Cherry Hill. I found that it was much easier to take the train from the Westmont station. There's a lot more parking there than Haddonfield. I never bothered to take the train from the stations that are further east since they cost more & I knew I could get parking easily at Westmont.

There's a wage tax in Philly. You pay less when you don't live in the city.

In the past, most years, that is credited toward your NJ taxes. I wouldn't want to venture a guess if the current governor will continue to allow it.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,257,750 times
this is an excellent idea. Its what we do.. If you lived in the city and make a good wage, the city wage tax will be more then the NJ prop tax. I knows ours is.. We love it over here in Jersey.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

13,591 posts, read 17,063,655 times
I did that commute for a while for a job in Center City. As southbound suggested I would plan on using one of the stations further west on the line like Westmont or Collingswood. Two reasons for that: 1. The fare is cheaper from those stations. 2. You can park for free at those stations, both Ashland in Voorhees and Woodcrest in Cherry Hill charge $1.00 to park at peak times, which are of course the normal commute times.

On the taxes front you will pay your normal NJ state income taxes and you will also pay the city wage tax. The city wage tax can be credited against your NJ state taxes and you will essentially get all the money you pay in city wage taxes back as a credit from NJ when you do your taxes. A few people who I worked with that worked in CC for a long time adjusted their NJ witholding so that they could avoid the double dip and would zero out at tax time.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

679 posts, read 1,881,556 times
The Woodcrest station does have free lots, it is just a further walk to the station entrance. Ashland has a couple of small free lots as well but I imagine they would fill up pretty early.

Port Authority Transit Corporation

Personally, I don't think it is worth it to travel the local roads from Voorhees or Cherry Hill to Westmont each day just to save 70 cents roundtrip on the fare.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 PM

I worked as a broadcast tech of many years & when I worked at a station which was located where I could use PATCO, I was going at weird hours. I also used it when I went to college in Center City. Haddonfield fills up early. I only failed to find parking at Westmont 2 times, in all of the years that I used it. Once I found parking in Collingswood. The other time I had to go on to Ferry Ave. If you are going in at a reasonable time, you'll have no trouble at Westmont. If you go very early or very late, Haddonfield will work fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
The Woodcrest station does have free lots, it is just a further walk to the station entrance. Ashland has a couple of small free lots as well but I imagine they would fill up pretty early.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it to travel the local roads from Voorhees or Cherry Hill to Westmont each day just to save 70 cents roundtrip on the fare.
I knew how to cut through residential areas. Much easier & far less traffic most of the way.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,207,136 times
Anyone know how long one would expect it would take from Westmont Station PATCO to Broad Street Pattison stop?
Assuming you arrive RIGHT on time at Westmont then walk the transfer?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Anyone know how long one would expect it would take from Westmont Station PATCO to Broad Street Pattison stop?
Assuming you arrive RIGHT on time at Westmont then walk the transfer?
In Philly you'd get off at 15th & 16th & Locust then allow 5 - 10 minutes for the walk. I never took the Broad St Subway to the stadiums so don't know how long that would take.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM

259 posts, read 555,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygreentea View Post
Hi guys,
Thanks for any input!
Honestly, it's a super easy commute. People in the PA burbs have much more aggravating commutes into Philly than the NJ people do. I did this for about a year, but eventually moved to a job in NJ. My round trip was about 50 minutes and I worked at 17th/Market. Parking is never a problem at Ashland, where I used to depart from. Woodcrest is much larger and probably has ample parking. One thing to note, it's always better to leave from the earlier stops like Ashland since the trains can fill up quickly. The poor people in Westmont/Collingswood/Ferry get onto packed trains. Of course, express trains are the best way to go. About a year ago, it was 5.80 round trip ( I think ) and a buck for parking.

There is a city wage tax that you will pay, but you get to use it towards your state tax when you file. It's not a bad setup. Philly is a great, walkable city. I think you should go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia