Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
No way Upper Vailsburg(next to South Orange) is worse than anything in Clinton Hill. Walked through the former and the latter several times, and UV is Millburn compared to that dump. And even though the CBD is outdated and sometimes dreadful for 2010, it's not worse than 7th Ave or North Broadway.

I don't know anything about Clinton Hill, but I do know Vailsburg is pretty scary. It is like don't dare get out of your car scary, lol, I may be over exaggerating a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
Thanks guys. I drew up a map (which I cannot seem to download) that shows me where the bad areas are. It looks like the Southern areas are kinda bad but the worst areas are to the west. The safest are in the north, central, eastern and farest western parts of the city. Cheers!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
No way Upper Vailsburg(next to South Orange) is worse than anything in Clinton Hill. Walked through the former and the latter several times, and UV is Millburn compared to that dump. And even though the CBD is outdated and sometimes dreadful for 2010, it's not worse than 7th Ave or North Broadway.
Upper Vailsburg (Next to Irvington too) may be better fitted in the "Orange" zone, but I just don't see it being less dangerous than Clinton Hill. Lower Clinton hill looks dumpier than UV (You're right about that), and it's mainly residential, but a lot of new town homes are going up around there, there's a lot more room for productive growth around in that area as well (It's still pretty dangerous in LCH regardless).
Upper Vailsburg has a lot of those shabby businesses along South Orange Ave, and a higher population density, so there's a lot more activity in UV in general.
I know North Broadway very well, it has a lot less going on to even be considered worst than the CBD. I don't see 7th ave being more dangerous than the CBD either.

Newark has some residential areas that seem similar to neighborhoods in Rutherford or Lyndhurst, but don't let that fool you.

~~~

I thought I mentioned Weequahic before.
I give it an "Orange"

Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 PM

195 posts, read 395,937 times
I only know about Forest Hill,the Ironbound, un heights and downtown ,which are all green, I have made many visit to other parts of the North ward which seems green/yellow .

Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,645 times
Hi Everyone,
I've been trying to figure out if this location below in Newark is good or bad. Was invited to go there tomorrow night, but not if it's a bad neighborhood. It's by Avenue A and Avenue B if that helps

Emmet Avenue, Newark NJ

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
We need to get the opinion of some Newark Resident's
a newark resident's input is valuable but it should be understood that by living in newark they probably have a greater tolerance than most people who live elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
a newark resident's input is valuable but it should be understood that by living in newark they probably have a greater tolerance than most people who live elsewhere.
This is the truth. I no longer live in Newark but I can honestly say after living there for years it makes a lot of other undesiarable areas of NJ seem ok.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
This is an interesting post. I like the idea of using colors. How would you guys rank the area around Phillips Park in the North Ward? According to Google Maps this is part of North Broadway, but I'm not sure how well Google's neighborhood boundaries correlate with locals' perception of neighborhood boundaries.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 AM

108 posts, read 149,514 times
All the streets from the hwy to broad are ok....not much going on around that area day/ night but some trickin by mc donalds but that whole area is by the court house and postal service so its quiet....to be honest with you, look for a place near ferry st and you will like it. Normal people out all night , white & Spanish area...stay away from all uptown....lyons ave. Bergen.. madison ..osborne terrace.....clinton ave & place...ellis ave. ...anywhere around those streets are red zones and lots of drugs gangs and shootings....I live on chadwick near renner and its all a war zone area...been here for 31 years and unless your heavy in the streets this is not a place for you,,,,sooner or later something will happen to you...no white people on any of those streets named...a few far down madison but that's it...if your not known around these areas don't walk around at night, the day time is iffy....I'm from these streets and live it everyday, just trust me..

Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 AM

108 posts, read 149,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
That is very very very true.....we brush off shootings and drug sales as everyday events.....my above post is honest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey