Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times

Advertisements

Some guy came flying out of nowhere (In Paramus) and tried to cut me off today at a red light, and I wasn't letting him, he came thisclose and then rolled down his window and screamed the "C" word and sped off into the turning-only lane. He obviously didn't want to turn, and he didn't want to wait in the 5-mile line of cars behind me. I thought it was the funniest thing in the world, losing his temper because I wouldn't let him in !! It made him more pissed off that I started laughing so he flipped me the bird to. Ouch! That hurt dumbass. I'm going to end up on the cover of the newspaper one day, "Girl shot over roadrage".

I'll be honest, I am one of those drivers, I have fun antagonizing. I thought about it and just when he thought someone was letting him in, I said to myself, "Naaa" and hit the gas. Haaaaaaaa!

I used to be really bad on the road, a true hothead. If someone tailgated, or cut me off, I'd have no issue hitting the brakes. I remember following someone into a parking lot once and introducing myself, then I said, "We're no longer strangers now that you know my name, and you insulted me" ! All because I went down a one-way by accident in a different state and was lost- she said something completely unwarranted, and demeaning, and I followed her. I was very cool, calm and she was scared as hell.

My attitude changed about 2 years ago when I cut off some big black truck and he flipped out and literally tried to run me into a ditch- I was scared. He wouldn't stop till I whipped out a camera phone and started taking pictures. It definitely changed the way I reacted. It was my eye opener. That guy who tried to cut me off today, I was nothing compared to what, or who he will meet one day.

So, are you one of those drivers- terrorizing others on the road? And, how do you handle those who suffer from temporary insanity a/k/a roadrage ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
I ignore all the jerkoffs that cut people off and are on the cell phones when i'm off duty. I deal with them when i'm at work.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
lol !!! That has to be the stupidest law ever made- no cell phones. Common now, how many people really follow it ???????????????????????????

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
I think road rage can be amusing when you watch two idiots going at each other, but as you pointed out - it can get really scary, real fast with the wrong person. I tend to ignore the people that come in out of nowhere, with no signals. I have learned to no longer be surprised by the people who think solid white lines do NOT apply to them. But I am still a bit funny about the people who roar up a lane thinking they will cut all the other responsible people and just nudge their way in to the front of a line at an exit. That's why I drive an old car. Trust me, in that situation, I will not be the one that blinks first!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Had an idiot on a phone last week oblivious to the world. When she started drifting into my lane, a horn and a foot to the door was a riot to watch as she almost dumped on the pampers.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Meh - I try not to get worked up about it. Seriously if you want to go ahead of me that bad, go for it. Also I always try to think about why they are in a rush. Perhaps they just got a phone call to get to the hospital...you never know.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
Wow. I'd hesitate to follow a stranger into a parking lot, especially in another state where people may be allowed to carry concealed handguns. I would have just made a mental note not to go the wrong way down the one-way street and forgotten about it.

The best defense against bad drivers is to drive defensively, imo. You can't teach them a lesson by making obsene gestures, slamming on your breaks, etc. and if you act like a jerk, there's just one extra jerk on the road.

Having spent time abroad where there's plenty of traffic and the speed limits are much higher, it puzzles me why road rage is such a problem in certain areas of the U.S. like N.J. They could probably reduce it by doing as they do in Europe where rules about signaling and properly passing are strictly enforced. And, if you get pulled over for a violation, you must pay the ticket on the spot or have your car confiscated.

While I've witnessed road rage since moving from NJ to VT (mostly tailgating by out-of-state drivers who don't know that you can pass even when there's a solid white line unless there's a sign that says "no passing") it's much less frequent. And in the past eight years, I've never seen someone give an obcene gesture or shout a cuss word out of a car window, even in the more congested areas of the state and I drive on the Interstate daily.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,214 times
Lightbulb All you need is love

ok I have this little thing I do..once in a while...when I'm feeling flip.

Sure there are tons of Aholes on the road. Some of them can be nasty and some can be dangerous. When I encounter one of these Aholes, and they scream, yell or make hand gestures towards me :
My reply is I LOVE YOU!!! With a huge smile, I circle the heart & blow kisses and keep saying I LOVE YOU!! this freaks them out - they are dumbfounded and always drive away.

Then again, if my kids are in the car with me and the Ahole driver is nasty or malicious, I take their plate.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
ok I have this little thing I do..once in a while...when I'm feeling flip.

Sure there are tons of Aholes on the road. Some of them can be nasty and some can be dangerous. When I encounter one of these Aholes, and they scream, yell or make hand gestures towards me :
My reply is I LOVE YOU!!! With a huge smile, I circle the heart & blow kisses and keep saying I LOVE YOU!! this freaks them out - they are dumbfounded and always drive away.

Then again, if my kids are in the car with me and the Ahole driver is nasty or malicious, I take their plate.
Yes, and it is your word against that of Mr. or Ms. Ahole ... right?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
I usually either swear in Italian, hold down the horn, and occasionally yell at them (definitely if they're from P.A.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey