Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wouldn't you guys agree that is an awfully high number?
Wouldn't we agree that what is an awfully high number????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Wouldn't we agree that what is an awfully high number????
The percentage you typed. For this to be an awful state,a lot of people come back home.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Eh, I don't think it's too high. Most people who move away from their hometown/state probably find themselves back eventually. I don't think it means New Jersey is some kind of paradise. I think it just means people like to be close to their families and usually wind up coming back home.

I do not think New Jersey is a good state for young people getting started in a life and career whatsoever given its high cost of living. It may be a good state for someone who is established in a career if they can find a job and move back and make a lot of money to afford the price of real estate, taxes, etc.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
The percentage you typed. For this to be an awful state,a lot of people come back home.
Those percentages were meant to be a joke, since there hasn't been an analysis of the actual numbers. I can't imagine that there would be a way to accurately track such movement anyway.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
I always see numbers about people leaving Nj but I never see numbers on how many move back. Has anyone actually moved back and why did you move back? Is Pennsylvania,Nc,Florida,and Texas all its made out to be? Are they all that much different then Nj other then climate?
I don't think anyone knows, but one thing that the migration patterns do tell us is that migration is largely bidirectional. For example, the nine of the top ten states that NJ migrate to are also in the top 10 states that people move from.

In terms of difference -- NYC is much larger and denser than cities in these other states. The larger city means there are plenty of jobs, an eclectic mix of interesting people, lots of fun things to do. It also makes for sky high housing costs and long commute times.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times
All I know is that Salmon move away from the states of their birth...

Only to come back to breed and die.

I never did make the connection of the closeness of Salmon to people.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
All I know is that Salmon move away from the states of their birth...

Only to come back to breed and die.

I never did make the connection of the closeness of Salmon to people.
Salmonses also lay eggs in river water and then they get eaten by bears and their eggs get eaten by sushi eaters - no human people have their eggs eaten on sushi so your weird thing about salmons being just like human people is way outta whack.

People are more like dolphins - we are both mammals and we swim and have to come up for air at some point, also we do live birthing (the females only), also we both smile when we're happy. Also too we are both highly intelligent and not fish.

You should take a class in Ocean Botanology to learn about ocean animals before going off half-cocked about salmons.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
I left about 6 years ago and came back 6 months ago.... wish I didn't have to come back. Life is very stressful up here.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM

220 posts, read 701,646 times
i have 3 close college friends who moved out and never looked back.. 2 in SF, 1 in NYC (yes i count NYC as moving out, what a difference a river makes).. 1 only moved back because he was let go from work for 6 months, then moved back out as soon as he got a call.

i see that as a trend people who move back only do so to get some more support from family here in NJ.. the people who WANT to move back to NJ ended up going to some hick states as opposed to the aforementioned.. but i would guess more people want to move out of NJ than move in these times.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Eh, I don't think it's too high. Most people who move away from their hometown/state probably find themselves back eventually. I don't think it means New Jersey is some kind of paradise. I think it just means people like to be close to their families and usually wind up coming back home.

I do not think New Jersey is a good state for young people getting started in a life and career whatsoever given its high cost of living. It may be a good state for someone who is established in a career if they can find a job and move back and make a lot of money to afford the price of real estate, taxes, etc.

I agree with you 100%. IMO, it makes sense for me to leave b/c my future profession pays almost the same amount wherever I go, but COL is definitely different. I have my eyes set on Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey