Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 PM

68 posts, read 395,751 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Berkeley Heights, NJ in about a year. We are 29 and are expecting our first child in a few weeks. I was wondering if we could get some insight from people who live there.

Are there a lot of young families in Berkeley Heights? How are the schools?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,925,320 times
We just move to BH this year and love it very much. We are in our 30s and have a 4-year old boy and trying for second one. Most of my immediate neighbors have school age children. Schools in BH are very good and people are nice there as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Hi Bay, Thank you for your insight. What streets/neighborhoods would you recommend? Are there any areas within BH that should be avoided?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM

143 posts, read 415,842 times
I have lived one town over from BH (Mountainside) for many years. My kids have been on sports teams over the years with BH kids since our town is much smaller several of the sports teams are combined & one of my kids' teachers lives in BH. Everyone I know really likes the town! I think it would be a great place for you to move to.
I do not know about particular elementary schools though. The high school is very well regarded- Mountainside sends our kids there so I know lots of people with kids there and most are very happy.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 AM

That is great information, thank you dedemoving.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,925,320 times
I do not think there is any area you should avoid in BH. However, it really depends how you like the neighborhood. We like flat yard with cul de sac location, but we do not want to live in the forest and have no connection with neighbors. Therefore, we pay for the location. We pick something that needs quite a few works, but in an excellent location within BH. Neighbors are nice and offer help even before we move in. Also, pay attention to the flood zone. I believe some areas are in flood zone.

As far as schools, BH has 1 early education school (PreK-G1), 3 elementary schools (G2-5), 1 middle school and 1 high school. In greatschools.net, all 3 elementary schools are rated 9 out of 10, both middle school and high school are 10 out of 10 so I assume all of them are very good.

Last edited by bay; 06-15-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Thank you for the info. It seems like the school system is well thought of. How is the town in terms of restaurants & shopping?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM

54 posts, read 244,299 times
Default BH is great

I have lived in BH for 2 years and love it. We have not started a family yet, but moved here for that reason and school system ranks very high in the state of NJ. From people who attend the school system, I have heard great things as well - and a ton of young families live in my neighborhood.

There are some good restaurants but no cute downtown (Westfield and Summit are 15/20 minutes away and have great restaurants and some good shopping) and Short Hills mall is 15 minutes away and Bridgewater mall is 20 minutes away.

Congrats with the little one on the way!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Sounds good NJNJNJ. Is there any good pizza in BH?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 AM

54 posts, read 244,299 times
Default Good Pizza

There are three good pizza places in BH, but everyone has varying opinions which is best. DiMaio's is good and is also a nice sit down restaurant. My personal favorite is Marcello's (but a lot of people say it is so so, but my husband's friend used to order pizza from there every night). Everyone usually enjoy's Clemente's (they have a huge selection of take out dinners which I like) - and have a good local reviews from a number of sources..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey