U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM

137 posts, read 30,351 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge "Cake Boss" fan and I'm going to be in New Jersey in August and I was going to make a stop at Carlo's Bakery on Saturday morning when my flight arrived in Newark.

Does anyone know the parking situation there? Are there any lots nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM

471 posts, read 846,208 times
Hoboken consists of side street meter parking and public garage parking. Unlike NYC, you'd probably have an easier time finding a side street spot but that all depends on luck. Depending on when you go, I'd advise you to go early in the daytime. Then again, I only have experience of being around Hoboken in the weekend so there are a lot more traffic then. Not sure about the weekdays.

Also depending on the time, the line outside the bakery can be ridiculously long, but it'll go fast if you're patient enough. Bring a book if you want (-there's a Barnes & Noble, the next block over). Just know what to order when you get to the bakery because it can be super packed.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Hoboken consists of side street meter parking and public garage parking. Unlike NYC, you'd probably have an easier time finding a side street spot but that all depends on luck. Depending on when you go, I'd advise you to go early in the daytime. Then again, I only have experience of being around Hoboken in the weekend so there are a lot more traffic then. Not sure about the weekdays.

Also depending on the time, the line outside the bakery can be ridiculously long, but it'll go fast if you're patient enough. Bring a book if you want (-there's a Barnes & Noble, the next block over). Just know what to order when you get to the bakery because it can be super packed.
Cool, thanks for the information.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:05 PM

No prob. Wish you good luck of going there. Go to this site for further info on Hoboken and its parking rates, too: City of Hoboken, NJ

Old 06-14-2010, 02:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,752,549 times
I agree with the side street parking. It usually takes me less than 10 minutes to find a parking spot. I can almost always find a parking spot on Newark or 1st streets. The 3 times I have been there have all been on weekdays and it isn't too crowded, but there is almost always a line. They were filming last time I was in there and the employees are not allowed to walk in front of the cameras, so it took longer. Try their Lobster tails and cupcakes they are both very good. The cupcakes I am talking about are in the case on the left and are right at the end. The Lobster Tails are their specialty.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,362,495 times
Also, if I remember right, Carlos is only 4-5 blocks from the Hoboken train station. So thats also an option if your not going to be picking up a big cake.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM

47 posts, read 92,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Bring a book if you want (-there's a Barnes & Noble, the next block over).
I think that B&N has shut down.

Carlo's is really nothing special. There are similar quality bakeries dotted all over NJ without the insane prices and ridiculous lines. Yes, they make pretty speciality cakes, but the run of the mill stuff (cupcakes, cookies, canolis, lobster tails etc.) aren't significantly better than average for an NJ Italian Bakery. They're on to a good thing and milking it for all its worth.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM

22 posts, read 106,592 times
Your real problem is not going to be the parking but the line you will have to make outside the bakery to get in. I work nearby and there is usually a line of people outside to come in (the line gets shorter or longer depending on the day of the week and time). But maybe really early on Saturday you won't find a line.
And yes, the Barnes and Nobles has closed down.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piespies View Post
Really? Awww... Thanks for the update.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piespies View Post

Carlo's is really nothing special. There are similar quality bakeries dotted all over NJ without the insane prices and ridiculous lines. Yes, they make pretty speciality cakes, but the run of the mill stuff (cupcakes, cookies, canolis, lobster tails etc.) aren't significantly better than average for an NJ Italian Bakery. They're on to a good thing and milking it for all its worth.
We're going to be getting a small custom cake for the coolness of having a cake made by the Cake Boss. After a red-eye flight and an arrival in Newark International, I think pretty much anything will taste like heaven, but the novelty of having a cake made by such a famous baker would be really cool. Plus, Hoboken is where Harold and Kumar live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey