Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Stay where you are. Moving to Jersey is a guarantee decrease in quality of life.

What did your mother do to you (or not do to you) growing up? I'm actually very curious...

What a Negative Nancy, constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 PM

30 posts, read 72,250 times
We are planning to move to North New Jersey in Morris county so I am on my visit here. I am disappointed with single lane traffic,older houses, higher prices and limited shopping around. I dont understand why there is no good
grocery store here ?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapart View Post
We are planning to move to North New Jersey in Morris county so I am on my visit here. I am disappointed with single lane traffic,older houses, higher prices and limited shopping around. I dont understand why there is no good
grocery store here ?
Are you referring to North NJ for grocery stores or Jersey City? Also do you mean shopping in everything in general or specifically grocery stores?

If you are talking about grocery in north NJ around Jersey city...

There is Wholefoods, TraderJoe, BJs, WalMart in Edgewater, North Bergen. If you want something little more exotic. There is Mitsuwa (Japanese) in Edgewater and H-mart (Korean) in Ridgefield.

This is on top of normal stores like Pathmark, stop-n-shop, shop rite in surrounding towns.

Edit: These are big grocery stores. There are smaller shops catering to other ethnic groups as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 PM

48 posts, read 134,537 times
I'm hoping that I can encourage the OP. Our situation sounds similar to yours.....though, we are a few months ahead of you. We relocated here a few months ago from upstate NY(near Rochester). In NY, we had a large house on 5 acres. We are now in northern NJ and living in a small-ish apartment with no land. Our rent is more than our mortgage was. I can honestly tell you that life in WNY compared to life in NJ is very different. From my short experience here you will not find the land/house you want for the price you want unless you go out at least 45 minutes.

With that in mind, we are trying to embrace and enjoy this life change. NJ has so much to offer...I would say it has more educational and entertainment opportunities than WNY(take this from one who lived in WNY). I do miss our land and big house, but it is what it is.

I would strongly suggest renting for at least a year. That is what we are planning on doing. In fact, we are looking forward to moving to a new rental in the winter. Where? I have no clue, but there are so many towns to investigate. You really have to live here a bit to get a true feel for the area....and what would work best for you.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM

52 posts, read 196,183 times
I also hate to say, you may find it extremely difficult to find a teaching job here. My friend's sister (in her early 30's with a master's and experience), has been unable to find a job due to budget cuts....no one is hiring teachers really at the moment.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,851 times
Unhappy Reviews on 319 grant avenue area

Hey, im planning on renting an apt and the address is 319 grant avenue. What are some reviews of the area? What's nearby? I work in WTC and i need an easy commute but I also dont want to watch my back while walking the streets.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:47 PM

10 posts, read 21,131 times
Exclamation Dont do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is she View Post
Hey, im planning on renting an apt and the address is 319 grant avenue. What are some reviews of the area? What's nearby? I work in WTC and i need an easy commute but I also dont want to watch my back while walking the streets.

If you don't want to have to watch your back all the time Grant ave. is not the place to be i live close to there and it always shoot outs and fights on that block. Please if you have kids don't bring them in J.C. for yours and there own good I'm trying to leave this hell hole as soon as possible

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM

292 posts, read 718,831 times
Jersey City has seen a renaissance, but for the same prices your better off in Hackensack because Hackensack is more centrally-located and closer to NICE shopping and restaurants, Jersey City is surrounded by some rough areas ( Hackensack has rough spots, but its not surrounded.)

Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is she View Post
That would put you in Greenville. I suggest you search for past discussions on Greenville. If you're looking to move into Jersey City on a low budget, your options are (1) share a place in the downtown, (2) Journal Square (as in easy walking distance from the PATH), (3) Jersey City Heights.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 AM

16 posts, read 41,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frump View Post
I'm hoping that I can encourage the OP. Our situation sounds similar to yours.....though, we are a few months ahead of you. We relocated here a few months ago from upstate NY(near Rochester). In NY, we had a large house on 5 acres. We are now in northern NJ and living in a small-ish apartment with no land. Our rent is more than our mortgage was. I can honestly tell you that life in WNY compared to life in NJ is very different. From my short experience here you will not find the land/house you want for the price you want unless you go out at least 45 minutes.

With that in mind, we are trying to embrace and enjoy this life change. NJ has so much to offer...I would say it has more educational and entertainment opportunities than WNY(take this from one who lived in WNY). I do miss our land and big house, but it is what it is.

I would strongly suggest renting for at least a year. That is what we are planning on doing. In fact, we are looking forward to moving to a new rental in the winter. Where? I have no clue, but there are so many towns to investigate. You really have to live here a bit to get a true feel for the area....and what would work best for you.

I think we are looking more in the Central Jersey area. We really like the Piscataway area. We are also planning on renting for a year until we get more familiar with the area. Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions and/or expertise. They have been very helpful in looking for places to live in a state that we really know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey