Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,906,509 times

Advertisements

Quote from our newly-elected Republican governor who can thank suburban residents, such as those who live in Toms River, for the office which he'll take Jan. 1.

He just doesn't get it. Get ready for another four years of no solutions to property taxes while all of the state aid that should be distributed equally to ALL of our communities gets sent to places like Newark instead.

Oh, and Newark, it's not YOUR money to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,940,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Quote from our newly-elected Republican governor who can thank suburban residents, such as those who live in Toms River, for the office which he'll take Jan. 1.

He just doesn't get it. Get ready for another four years of no solutions to property taxes while all of the state aid that should be distributed equally to ALL of our communities gets sent to places like Newark instead.

Do you have a link for this? Just wanted to see the context.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 AM

240 posts, read 579,565 times
Christie to Toms River: Drop dead | Paul Mulshine - NJ.com

Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,727,125 times
Note to Christie...its the burbs that elected you, you dumbass!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,439,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post

VeradoDan - Are you surprised by Christie's statement? All of that state aid to poorer districts consists of a large chunk of state income and sales tax to the tune of nearly 8 billion dollars. New Jersey's largest cities are totally dependent on this money to run their schools systems. They couldn't afford to pay their teachers half the minimum wage on what they collect in property taxes. And it's not like these cities and towns have low taxes in the first place. Do you really think that the residents of NJ's largest cities could afford to pony up the $20-$25K extra in "property taxes per household" needed, to cover just their educational costs? It won't happen anytime soon.

Christie is just discovering what Corzine already knew! NJ is a fiscal disaster. Now, he will just have to learn to "dance around" the state's financial land mines, just as Corzine did, until he is out of office with his tail between his legs. Until NJ does away with the infamous "home rule", it's finances will stay in the toilet for the foreseeable future. I wonder what he'll have to cut to balance the state budget next year? I suspect I'll be able to hear the "screams of the NJ citizenry" here in NC!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM

23,300 posts, read 16,984,207 times
Default poorly written article.... again

"I'm not going to give Newark's money to Toms River,''

It would be helpful to be given some perspective around that statement. In what context was that given?

It does not speak well for the writer to take a statement in isolation and draw the conclusions he does. He needs to share with his readers.

Maybe he has more info to support his position? As written, he is simply inciting readers into an emotional frenzy based on his word and unrelated statistics. He sets up readers to see what's not there by issuing emotional links instead of perspective.

Either he is a poor writer or he has an agenda.

I need more info to make a judgement on the author's conclusions.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM

11 posts, read 29,586 times
does anyone here know what is going to happen to the taxes now that the town voted to raise the taxes for the schools. I am suppose to move there and I have no idea what the taxes will be now, Can anyone help me. cwatk38889@aol.com

Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 PM

168 posts, read 492,247 times
????, if the town voted to raise taxes, taxes will go up but I'm sure no one knows exactly how much yet. Things like that are very uncertain throughout the state atm.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM

18,410 posts, read 15,111,142 times
He is right about 1 thing. Lonegan would have been the BEST candidate of the three. This guy still seems to be a big step up from Corzine though. There is one thing that bothers me about this 2.5% cap. While I am glad that my property taxes will go up at a slower rate, on the flip side, it will lock in the disparity of property taxes payed between the cities and the suburbs. In other words, my suburb will only be allowed to raise it's property taxes by 2.5%, but that also goes for Newark too. So now, they are paying ureasonably low property taxes compared to the rest of us, and with the 2.5% cap, they will ALWAYS be paying unreasonably low property taxes compared to the rest of us.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,255,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
He is right about 1 thing. Lonegan would have been the BEST candidate of the three. This guy still seems to be a big step up from Corzine though. There is one thing that bothers me about this 2.5% cap. While I am glad that my property taxes will go up at a slower rate, on the flip side, it will lock in the disparity of property taxes payed between the cities and the suburbs. In other words, my suburb will only be allowed to raise it's property taxes by 2.5%, but that also goes for Newark too. So now, they are paying ureasonably low property taxes compared to the rest of us, and with the 2.5% cap, they will ALWAYS be paying unreasonably low property taxes compared to the rest of us.
Newark's property taxes aren't all that low. On the low side by NJ standards perhaps, but not exceptionally low.

Some of the Abbott districts have outrageously high taxes. See this article on Irvington: Irvington residents are reeling from 17 percent tax hike | NJ.com

2900 a quarter for property taxes in Irvington on a SFH is outrageous. At that point, the home owner might as well abandon the place and start looking into their options for rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey