U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM

2,249 posts, read 3,816,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungerle View Post
We have Comcast Triply Play: phone, internet, cable. I hate comcast. I hate their customer service. I hate the prices. I hate that the cable industry is like a monopoly. DVR is much less superior to that of satellite tv (im never home during the week, so DVR is a must for me). Random charges appear month-to-month.

Positives about comcast - on demand has a good selection. That's it.

Its about $200 for the triple play.
OMG when I had Comcast too they were the absolute worst. And I was forced to use them because thats the only service offered in my apartment complex at the time. Now I'm back to Cablevision at my new apt which I have no complaints about. I do want Verizon FIOS though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM

821 posts, read 1,245,236 times
I have Comcast
I have a the Triple play (phone, cable and Internet) a DVR box, 2 regular boxes, HBO, Showtime and the Family package (we have to have Disney channel or the kids would revolt..LOL) 180.00 a month. Although that deal is about to expire so I was thinking of switching to Verizon. My biggest problem with comcast is the customer service I

Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJ View Post
I am thinking about getting cable vision triple play. Its a decent deal but only for 1 year.

Who do you guys use?

How much do you spend?

What features do you get?
Comcast basic cable, $10.85/month.

I ported my home phone number to a cell phone that I added to my family plan for $9.99.

For internet, I use a "dry loop" with DSL. I'm using the cheapest Verizon plan, $19.99. You order the modem and install it (very easy) with the installation CD and the phone number, which is also called your billing number (no dial tone).

I use the Magic Jack thing as an extra phone. $39.99 initial cost that includes one year of service, $19.99 each year after. Other than the yearly cost of $19.99, calls are free. You can hook up a fax machine to this jack, too.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,814,421 times
Check this link for more information: NJ/NY area, what phone company better: AT&T, Comcast, other..? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM

96 posts, read 194,426 times
We have Verizon Fios and pay $212.

We have their phone service with voice mail and call waiting, their 2nd quickest internet service and every channel offered with 2 DVRs.

It is a lot of money, but the picture quality is better than my Directv hookup for the NFL Sunday Ticket or Cablevision's Optimum service.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM

3,713 posts, read 5,755,557 times
I just have to say it boggles my mind thinking people are paying that kind of monthly money to watch TV. when cable TV first came out, the idea was no advertisements and the bill was about $8 a month. There was a lot of howling when the cable bills went up to $12 a month.

I guess its that specialized programming strategy that got you all hooked on that stuff. You'd have to pay me to watch most of that. In fact sometimes you do.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM

3,251 posts, read 6,279,414 times
I have the cablevision triple play. Best feature: Free movies on Tuesday.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM

543 posts, read 803,337 times
129.00 for Phone and DSL from Century Link. 90.00 for Direct TV, 1 HD TV and one not...........200.00 per month for 5 Cell phones on Verizon.

It IS killing me and am currently looking for alternatives.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM

4,759 posts, read 9,256,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
TV = $0, I have a regular antenna and get about 35 DTV channels and I personally very rarely watch TV but others in my home do.

Internet = Verizon DSL, the higher 5mbps service is about $29 a month, landline about $15 a month which I never use, even unplugged the phone a while ago and never checked the voicemail. Thinking of diconnecting the phone service but it only brings the Verizon bill down about $10.

Cell Phone = Sprint, about $40 plus I get 20% off by claiming employment at an eligible company.
we thought about getting a land line but it costs like $40 a month just to get a plan that is not going to charge us per minute to call essex county (from bergen county). otherwise it's $0.10 per minute!!! my wife talks a lot.. so i am not sure what we can do really unless we get an internet phone which has never been reliable for me in the past.

basically any way i cut it, i can't get internet, land line and even a cell phone for emergency for the same price we are paying now ($95/mo after taxes for 1 cell + fios)... i don't think?

Last edited by joe moving; 06-23-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 PM

6,875 posts, read 4,963,065 times
I have had Comcast for 10 years. I think the customer service is pretty good, I always get someone relatively quickly Yesterday I called because my last promotion ended and my bill was going to go up to $200, which I didn't want. The customer service person immediately put me in another package which lowered my rate to $149 again. That's for digital cable on 2 TV's with HBO, Showtime and Starz, DVR on one, high speed internet, and phone. My niece has Verizon Fios and it seems okay, but I have to say I don't like how it's set up, the onscreen guide and things like that are not as user-friendly to me as they are with Comcast. Through all the storms down here this winter with snow and 60mph winds, I never lost my cable or internet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey