Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 10:16 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where there are any good places where I can get in touch with nature in Somerset County or the area around it? I saw some farmland near Route 27 and Courtelyous Lane. However I don't think any of that is public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Does anyone know where there are any good places where I can get in touch with nature in Somerset County or the area around it? I saw some farmland near Route 27 and Courtelyous Lane. However I don't think any of that is public.
You're talking about Somerset the town and there are tons of hiking trails, parks and preserved space in the area.

This link will allow you to download maps of the area. I highly recommend Bunker Hill and Six Mile Run for hiking and the Delaware-Raritan Canal for biking and kayaking.

http://www.franklintwpnj.org/eco-heritage-tourism.html

Old 07-04-2010, 11:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Try Duke Farms in Hillsborough. Home Page - Duke Farms or Natirar Park in Peapack Gladstone (I think the entrance is actually in Far Hills) Somerset County Park Commission

If you are up for a little further drive, or want to camp and swim, try Round Valley Rec. Area Department of Environmental Protection

Enjoy!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default plenty of nearby nature... how far afield ?

6-mile run is right on Cortelyous lane. The land that makes up 6-mile run is scattered in parcels. Runs along south middlebush rd, griggstown rd, and rt 27 as well. One parking area is by the soccer field on rt 27. Look for the park signs. Another parcel at the 90* bend on corteylous.

Rutgers has Heylar woods in New Brunswick off Ryders lane. Hutchinson forest on 514 is also managed by RU. Hutch is touted as a 'virgin' forest.

Colonial park now has access to the canal with a new footbridge near the rose garden.

Sourland Mtn preserve off rt 614 in hillsborough is an excellent hike with unique topography as it is boulder strewn. North and south of the ridge you couldn't find a big rock as it is predominantly shale.

There is a very large parcel of land located near the griggstown causeway within a hundred yards or so. Entrance looks like someone's driveway but you will see a sign indicating public land. Don't think it is part of 6-mile run but the land is mostly fields and woods.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Thank you all for the replies! Does anyone have any information on Six Mile Run? I tried to look it up on the internet and I couldn't find anything good.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default 6mile-run

6mile run info is under the Deleware and Raritan Canal website.
moved their office from Blackwells mill to Rocky Hill at Rockingham Washington's headquarters off rt 518 near the canal.

Parking lot along Jacques lane and Blackwells mills. Investigate the property near the Griggstown causeway, another huge piece of fileds and woods to roam all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey