Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 05:17 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times

Advertisements

In Murphys annual State Budget Address, he stated he plans to open up accessory dwelling units in peoples homes such as their garages and attics to allow people to live.

Unsure how this will go, as it's more of a town ordinance law. Sadly, we are further looking like a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 05:28 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I just checked, I got room for two in my attic ...

Old 02-28-2024, 06:08 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Always assume that whenever the political fanatics post something without a link, it’s just some made up BS

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...g/72750340007/

“Towns partnering with nonprofits can provide up to $100,000 in forgivable capital loans and construction financing to homeowners looking to build or redevelop accessory dwelling units, such as a basement apartment, a tiny house in the backyard or an apartment over the garage.

In return, homeowners who receive the assistance would have to have a minimum 10-year deed restriction to reserve the unit for renters or buyers who make under 80% of the area median income.”

Old 02-28-2024, 06:43 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Always assume that whenever the political fanatics post something without a link, it’s just some made up BS

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...g/72750340007/

“Towns partnering with nonprofits can provide up to $100,000 in forgivable capital loans and construction financing to homeowners looking to build or redevelop accessory dwelling units, such as a basement apartment, a tiny house in the backyard or an apartment over the garage.

In return, homeowners who receive the assistance would have to have a minimum 10-year deed restriction to reserve the unit for renters or buyers who make under 80% of the area median income.”
Do you want to me to link to his speech he just gave?

That's only part of a proposal with it (which is just another hand out to developers). There are more messed up laws coming down the pipeline (stalled in Senate) with Mt. Laurel doctrine requiring developers to assign 20% of their buildings to affordable housing.

There is also a bill in holding that mandates certain (nice) towns develop low income housing to meet requirements in the Mt. Laurel Doctrine. Allowing people to rent out garages is going to be used pretty much as the loop-hole to meet those requirements.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:34 AM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Allowing people to rent out garages is going to be used pretty much as the loop-hole to meet those requirements.
Fonzi didn't have a problem living in a garage-top apt.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:36 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
So... (craziness about "illegals" aside)... what's the problem with this? What part of this are we supposed to be outraged about?

Old 02-28-2024, 09:48 AM

120 posts, read 130,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
So... (craziness about "illegals" aside)... what's the problem with this? What part of this are we supposed to be outraged about?
What???? What is not crazy? Has anyone watched a series on a few years ago called years and years. It was in the UK and everything about it is coming to light. Empty bedroom you had to have a migrant leaving in it with no compensation. There go property rights, which actually we lost during Covid when we could not kick out a tenant who wasn't paying rent.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecup View Post
What???? What is not crazy? Has anyone watched a series on a few years ago called years and years. It was in the UK and everything about it is coming to light. Empty bedroom you had to have a migrant leaving in it with no compensation. There go property rights, which actually we lost during Covid when we could not kick out a tenant who wasn't paying rent.
There go property rights?? This is giving property owners more rights to establish an ADU and earn income.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:11 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Renting to below market tenants is a big mistake. Great way to lose your house and sanity.

I’d guess 30% of my job as a cop was dealing with the results of crappy tenants.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-28-2024, 10:13 AM

120 posts, read 130,825 times
I was always able to build a ADU on my property and with Gov assistance, they have control and I really do not want to see everyone's yards looking like compounds of renters. As a landlord my property rights were absolutely taken away. I believe there is a much bigger picture here and this is only the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey