U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 9,674 times

Advertisements

I've been reminiscing about plainfield in the 60s, trying to remember all the old stores. Anyone have any recollections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM

220 posts, read 647,062 times
Macy's or was it Bambergers.. We used to get the train from somerville and go shopping, can't remember other stores though.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 PM

239 posts, read 1,009,938 times
There was Tepper's downtown, too.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 PM

2,428 posts, read 4,067,035 times
Since you asked...

Tepper's was the #1 department store in town. There was also a Bamberger's and a third department store called Goerke's, which was a branch of a store in Elizabeth (and which became a Steinbach store for a while).

Other, smaller stores:
Rogers Clothing on the corner by Tepper's.
Lazaar's
Surprise Store
McCrory next to Bam's
Gregory's Music Center
Park Jewelers with the clock out on the sidewalk
Tiny Tots
Book House
the greengrocer on Front St.
the Strand Theater
the New Liberty Theater
Frontier Diner
Conca D'Oro
And the #1 bank in the area - Plainfield Trust State National Bank

Does that list jog any memories?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:37 PM

8,834 posts, read 8,170,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Since you asked...

Tepper's was the #1 department store in town. There was also a Bamberger's and a third department store called Goerke's, which was a branch of a store in Elizabeth (and which became a Steinbach store for a while).

Other, smaller stores:
Rogers Clothing on the corner by Tepper's.
Lazaar's
Surprise Store
McCrory next to Bam's
Gregory's Music Center
Park Jewelers with the clock out on the sidewalk
Tiny Tots
Book House
the greengrocer on Front St.
the Strand Theater
the New Liberty Theater
Frontier Diner
Conca D'Oro
And the #1 bank in the area - Plainfield Trust State National Bank

Does that list jog any memories?
Oh, and how.

I worked at Tepper's after school my junior and senior year in HS. Walked to work most days with one of the O'Brien twins (I can't remember which). I bought tons of Alan Paine sweaters with my employee discount, then saw the world turn "hippie."

I used to cross Front Street from east to west at least once a week, going from Brooks' Record Shop (first stop) to Gregory's, and maybe back again if they didn't have anything at Gregory's. Did Gregory's sell instruments? If so, my brother probably bought guitars there.

And I hung out with the hippies in front of Frontier Diner. Once, my friend Debbie and I brought our kitten, Max, to eat there. I mostly remember it for its cheeseburgers, though. And there was a coffee shop right next to the Diner. What was that called?

While I was at Gregory's, I'd stop at Conca d'Oro and get two slices and a Coke from Carol, whom we all called "Sweetie," I think because she called all of us "sweetie." Oh, it would be so nice to order a pie from Conca d'Oro.

I remember the department store in the middle being called Rosenbaum's; I guess Goerke's came next, then some other name I can't remember. I never liked anything there, though. Anything I didn't buy at Tepper's came from Park Gentry.

On Park Avenue, I also remember the Park Avenue Book Shop and Lazaar's. Was the Book Room on Front Street, or was that the actual name of the Park Avenue Book Shop?

On Front Street, there was the Surprise Store. Anyone remember those surfer jackets, with the horizontal white strip on navy, in nylon? Or the CPO? And Henley shirts?

I also remember Clara Louise and the "Geier Girls,'" which I think was actually called the Park Avenue Tea Room, where we went with my mother or grandmother before we were old enough to go downtown on our own.

The only one I remember that you left out was Gruning's, where kids hung out on Sundays, across from City Hall Park, when most of downtown was closed (I know, I'm dating myself here).

I took a look at Downtown Plainfield on Google's Street View about a year ago, and it's all gone, everything I remember. Only one jewelry store, where I bought watches and an ID bracelet for me and a ring for someone else, is still on Front Street. Otherwise, I didn't recognize a thing there, or on Park or Watchung Avenues.

I wonder what would have happened if the riots hadn't happened. People didn't have to move out because of the riots. But that's long ago and, for me, far away.

Are there at least any good Mexican restaurants there now?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Hard to believe that Plainfield was at one time the Queen city. More millionaires than Westfield and Summit put together. Just shows you what can happen when the local undesirables decide to take over "their town". I am referring to the riots in the 60's.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 7,160,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Hard to believe that Plainfield was at one time the Queen city. More millionaires than Westfield and Summit put together. Just shows you what can happen when the local undesirables decide to take over "their town". I am referring to the riots in the 60's.
And all those beautiful Victorian homes now serving as apartments for 5-10 families who trash the inside and the outside. What a shame.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM

877 posts, read 2,359,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
And all those beautiful Victorian homes now serving as apartments for 5-10 families who trash the inside and the outside. What a shame.
I thought all the gays were buying those victorians now.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 12,985 times
Hi there,
I was wondering if you all can help me in my search for some relatives of a friend back home in Germany. He told me his uncles worked at Plainfield trust state national bank and when I searched for that bank your posts are the only one that come up that seem relevant. I suppose the bank does not exist anymore but maybe you know someone who worked there who could help me?
Thanks so much.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM

2,428 posts, read 4,067,035 times
Plainfield Trust State National Bank changed its name to United National Bank, and later to United Trust Bank. About seven years ago they were acquired by PNC Bank, which is based in Pittsburgh. The human resources department at PNC should have access to all of PTSNB's records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey