Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Same can be said with Philly , at least our Transit Agency isn't as backwards as septa. Corruption is rampant in the City of Brotherly love. The Crime rate is growing and there is a growing racial tension in the city. The City is more poor then Newark and Run down. You seem to just hate Newark , Sheesh you PA ppl do nothing but hate and annoy your neighbors.
Seriously, I think you're making this up.

According to the city data crime index, crime in Philadelphia in 2008 was lower than it was in 1999 or 2000.

Homicides in Newark were higher than in Philly every year from 1999 to 2008 except 2001.

Median household income was higher in Philadelphia than Newark in 2008.

As for racial tension -- you've got to be kidding me. The reason there's not much "racial tension" in Newark is that the white people all left. The racial tension is still there, it has just spilled onto the suburbs neighboring Newark. Philly is about 50% white and 50% black (see census stats on city-data). This generally doesn't happen in Jersey -- most of the white people generally skip town before it becomes 50% black.

Anyway, what I meant was more along these lines -- one important measure of how well the city is doing, is whether rich people are willing to live there, and perhaps another one is whether white people are willing to live there. Definitely true of Philly, not so much of Newark.

Newark has gotten such a bad name for itself, that even neighboring suburbs bordering Newark are considered guilty by association, whereas in Philly the areas adjacent to the city are quite desirable (indeed, the area just across the city line is seen as a kind of tax haven)

It's true that Jersey City is doing reasonably well, but it's more like a borough of New York than an independent metropolitan center in its own right.

As for this talk of me being a "PA person", again, I lived in Jersey City and Newark for about a decade, which is a bit different to pining for "urban renewal" from the safety of the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Yeah...maybe Philly center city. Philly (north) slums are on par w/ Camden
Manayunk, Roxborough, Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, to name a few more. There are quite a few decent neighborhoods around the city, though there are also some really bad ones.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:08 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Seriously, I think you're making this up.

According to the city data crime index, crime in Philadelphia in 2008 was lower than it was in 1999 or 2000.

Homicides in Newark were higher than in Philly every year from 1999 to 2008 except 2001.

Median household income was higher in Philadelphia than Newark in 2008.

As for racial tension -- you've got to be kidding me. The reason there's not much "racial tension" in Newark is that the white people all left. The racial tension is still there, it has just spilled onto the suburbs neighboring Newark. Philly is about 50% white and 50% black (see census stats on city-data). This generally doesn't happen in Jersey -- most of the white people generally skip town before it becomes 50% black.

Anyway, what I meant was more along these lines -- one important measure of how well the city is doing, is whether rich people are willing to live there, and perhaps another one is whether white people are willing to live there. Definitely true of Philly, not so much of Newark.

Newark has gotten such a bad name for itself, that even neighboring suburbs bordering Newark are considered guilty by association, whereas in Philly the areas adjacent to the city are quite desirable (indeed, the area just across the city line is seen as a kind of tax haven)
With the notable exceptions of Irvington (and to a lesser degree East Orange) Newark's suburbs are some of the wealthiest in the state.

Livingston, Caldwells, South Orange, Maplewood, etc. Or even the Union county towns in the Newark-Union MA

Newark is barely 50% black, and over a quarter white (which isn't really a fair assessment considering there are black middle-class families living in Newark)

Another difference is simply Philly's size. Newark has very high desirable areas adjacent to it, which means it doesn't really take living 'in' Newark to find very well-off dwellings.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
With the notable exceptions of Irvington (and to a lesser degree East Orange) Newark's suburbs are some of the wealthiest in the state.
What I meant here is that even though South Orange is highly desirable, the part of South Orange that borders Newark is tarnished as a result. The standard advice is "avoid the Newark border". Livingston, Maplewood, the Caldwells don't share a border with Newark (Maplewood shares a border with Irvington and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that property values one the border take a hit because of that). You won't find any terribly desirable neighborhood that shares a border with Newark. Again, Tuxedo Park isn't all that bad, but it is discounted heavily compared to the rest of SO.

Newark is only 14% non-hispanic white from the CD page. The number in Philly is more like 40%.

Anecdotally, at my previous job (financial district), none of my coworkers chose to live in Newark. The NJ people lived either in the 'burbs, or Jersey City. By contrast, there are a number of coworkers at my current job who choose to live in Philly (even with the outrageous income tax).

Also, I don't think it's completely accurate to call those towns "Newark's" suburbs. Most of the residents don't commute to Newark (and besides the station, I doubt they visit it much). Nearly all of them work somewhere in suburban NJ or in Manhattan, or perhaps Jersey City.

Last edited by elflord1973; 07-18-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
What I meant here is that even though South Orange is highly desirable, the part of South Orange that borders Newark is tarnished as a result. The standard advice is "avoid the Newark border". Similarly with Maplewood, the standard advice is "avoid the Irvington border". Housing that borders these areas sells at a steep discount compared to the rest of the town.
Not quite, the Newark/South Orange border is a clear boundary line. South Orange is a well-groomed suburb from end to end.

The housing is indeed cheaper...relative to the rest of the town which commands high property values.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Not quite, the Newark/South Orange border is a clear boundary line. South Orange is a well-groomed suburb from end to end.

The housing is indeed cheaper...relative to the rest of the town which commands high property values.
Yes, sure, they even fence part of it off (though not enough of it, apparently) But you don't have anything like that with Philly. The neighborhoods that are adjacent to Chestnut Hill and City Line avenue are doing extremely well. Chestnut Hill and Overbrook are not the kind of neighborhoods that one needs to be "buffered" from. Can't say the same for Vailsburg (or any other neighborhood of Newark that is adjacent to another town).

Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, sure, they even fence part of it off (though not enough of it, apparently) But you don't have anything like that with Philly. The neighborhoods that are adjacent to Chestnut Hill and City Line avenue are doing extremely well. Chestnut Hill and Overbrook are not the kind of neighborhoods that one needs to be "buffered" from. Can't say the same for Vailsburg (or any other neighborhood of Newark that is adjacent to another town).
Also not quite true. The Newark/Bloomfield border is quite blended. And Newark/Belleville border runs through Branch Brook Park.

The Newark/Maplewood border runs along Irvington Ave. and one would only see a Walgreen's/police station and shopping center and not really know it's Newark.

There is crime spillover, but not to a significant degree as most of these towns have extremely low crime rates

Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM

196 posts, read 648,965 times
so ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Sure so lets have a fiscal plan that doesn't involve needing a huge subsidy.... which means the people have to get educated and if foreigners that can barely speak english can make it into college why can't the kids BORN and raised here do the same? LAZINESS and NO GUIDANCE that's why. When your housing is free or subsidized and food is subsidized you have NO incentives to improve. Foreigners come here because they are almost starving with no opportunities in their homelands. They don't stand around with baggy pants and listening to stupid hip hop... they find out how to compete and work hard and in the end take US jobs away. THAT has to change first... get rid of the handouts and section 8 housing. You can't afford to live here then good get the hell out and move to kentucky where rent is 400 a month and work at McDonalds and educate yourself through community college so you can compete then come back. That is how foreigners are doing it and slowly taking over.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM

431 posts, read 942,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
so ignorant

Truth hurts doesn't it....

oh yeah show me some million dollar condos in Newark... there aren't any but there is a TON in philly.... why is that?!?

Philadelphia's million-dollar condos | Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/03/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20100503_Philadelphia_s_million-dollar_condos.html - broken link)

and don't forget Rittenhouse sq.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM

196 posts, read 648,965 times
I don't have a problem with your opinion. Don't post stereotypical comments such as 'They don't stand around with baggy pants and listening to stupid hip hop...' - very offensive and uncalled for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey