Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Christie is trying to save a few pennies at the expense of losing an industry because his move to save a few pennies is extremely unfriendly to business. How you can say he's trying to make the state friendly to business when he's doing the opposite just shows your blind allegiance to the man.

No, it doesn't define it; it certainly has a huge impact and it certainly can be a reason behind the moves made by the state's government, both smart and dumb, but it doesn't define it. There is much more that defines it. The deficit is one part of the big picture; the mistake you and other Christie-worshipers make is that you equate it the deficit with the economy of the state of NJ.

I can't understand how you can defend a man and say he's "friendly to business" then out of the other side of your mouth say you don't agree with him. Double-speak is something that only partisan hacks do.

An individual wealthy person does not take a multi-million or billion dollar industry with him. Wealthy individuals, being individuals, strive to hold onto their wealth; businesses tend to spend their wealth to make more. If Richie Rich from Hunterdon County wants to invest his money, he can invest in a company anywhere in the nation, wherever he finds the best return for his money. He will go through Wall St. or Chicago and trade stocks, futures, commodities, etc. But when NBC Universal is filming in North Bergen, they are going to order food from somewhere nearby, hire crew from nearby, rent props from nearby, hire set designers from nearby, buy costumes from nearby, rent equipment from nearby, etc. NBC Universal, unlike Mr. Richie Rich, will be spending tons of money in the area immediate to where their studio is. Richie Rich doesn't have to, and doesn't. And NBC Universal HAS to spend money to produce a show; Richie Rich doesn't have to spend any more than his taxes, utilities, and perhaps food in his immediate area.

I'd rather let Richie Rich - or 100 Richie Riches - move than NBC Universal. In any case, Richie Rich isn't going to want to live in his town when the school quality goes so low that his $3 million home becomes worth $2 million and his neighbors start turning into ruffians and peasants.

I asked HOW you tighten your belt. Apparently, you don't.
This is my last post on this issue since it is becoming circular.

But I will repeat what I have said before as either you don't understand or simply didn't read my posts.

I disagree with Christie on this issue but agree with him on most other issues so on balance I think he is doing avery good job. Do you agree with everything Obama does? If not, does that mean you don't support him at all?

You may try to deny it but the deficit is the defining feature of our economy now.

It has been shown that $70 billion in wealth has led the state between 2004 and 2008. But that is A-OK with the left but the fil industry leaving is a tragedy, Now that is hypocrisy.

I answered how I have tightened my belt, and another poster pointed out that Hoboken will be hit by less state aid, as much or more than other towns.

You have such blind hated of Christie that it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you. Thankfully Christie will continue to do the right thing for the state despite the constant whining from the ankle biters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Rather than respond to personal attacks, or get into endless back and forth, I'm going to make my closing statement and be done with it.

The point that is lost on those who attack this, is that Christie is in favor of cutting taxes -- not just personal income taxes, but also corporate tax.

Even in the midst of a tight fiscal crunch, for example, Christie is eliminating the corporate tax surcharge -- a tax on top of an existing tax, much like the so-called "millionaires tax" that was slipped under the door as a "temporary tax", and then all the far-left interests pushed with all their might to make it permanent.

Christie is going about this exactly the right way. The right way to cut taxes is not to soak everyone, and then give special breaks to a privileged group of free riders. But the problem with free rides is that they are not free. Someone has to pay for them, and in the case of NJ, which has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the country, the job creators are paying.

So in conclusion, while Christie is rolling back this special treatment, he is also reducing the corporate tax rate (for everyone, not just industries who donated to his campaign).

In addition, he is attacking as best he can the root cause of high taxes -- which is excessive spending. While the democrats may pay lip service to tax cuts, it is difficult to cut taxes when excessive spending is viewed as the goal, and not a barrier.

It's no longer good enough to dismiss Christie's supporters as "anarchists" or whatever stereotype is convenient. The fact is that he has an overwhelming support base, and his supporters include a large number of Democrats.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 21,040 times
Default ...

Christie is a fool/politician who is doing what is best for himself note the state. He is no better than a good used car salesman. He will not lower our taxes and if he does we will pay for everything in other ways..

My taxes might not go up as much, but we already got the letter telling us that Kean University tuition is going up 15% or more because of Christie's cuts..

EVOLUTION....NOT REVOLUTION...... Christie doesnt understand this or care about who he hurts to "fix" new jersey, he just wants to make a name for himself and then he will just blame he teachers union for everything that goes wrong with his plan....MORON

How can anyone expect someone to fix problems that have been created over the past 10+ years to fixed right away? Instead of blaming unions Christie should be trying to suit Whitman for her "borrowing" from the pension system years ago...thats what started this whole mess...and other corrupt politicians.

NJ IS GOING TO HELL THANKS TO CHRISTIE and your taxes will go up! and so will the cost of everything else.... especially if the cap happens...

Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL owe you money? Don't you pick our affluent pockets enough?
LMAO here..depending on which Washington Township he lives in same could be said for him..you need to be middle class or rich ( depending on what his definition of rich is)

Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I did vote for Chris but have to admit this was lame. The tax cut was far less than the revenue generated....that will now be lost

Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I did vote for Chris but have to admit this was lame. The tax cut was far less than the revenue generated....that will now be lost
It's very short-sighted. If the only options were production facilities in NYC, it would be short-sighted. However, there are facilities in Philly & NC, either of which would jump at the chance to lure away productions.

As I said earlier, some crew people might go with the productions, which may result in wage tax losses to NJ (as well as taxing the actors' wages) but it's all of the incidentals (sets, catering, etc.) It's even worse because it may put people on unemployment. At least some of those people will probably be forced to relocate. . .

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM

74 posts, read 304,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's very short-sighted. If the only options were production facilities in NYC, it would be short-sighted. However, there are facilities in Philly & NC, either of which would jump at the chance to lure away productions.

As I said earlier, some crew people might go with the productions, which may result in wage tax losses to NJ (as well as taxing the actors' wages) but it's all of the incidentals (sets, catering, etc.) It's even worse because it may put people on unemployment. At least some of those people will probably be forced to relocate. . .
They are all union. They just call the hall, put their name on the available list, and go on to the next job.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusIS250 View Post
They are all union. They just call the hall, put their name on the available list, and go on to the next job.
Depends on which union. If they have to go on to the next job & that job is out of state. . .

Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM

74 posts, read 304,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Depends on which union. If they have to go on to the next job & that job is out of state. . .
They are all local 52 (as am I). 90% of the jobs they work on are in the NYC/Brooklyn/Queens area. If there is a job in Jersey all the 52'ers that live in Jersey jump at the opportunity to be on it. And if not, they just continue working in NY. SVU leaving North Bergen and going to Chelsea Piers is only a 10 minute max further commute in the morning

Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusis250 View Post
they are all local 52 (as am i). 90% of the jobs they work on are in the nyc/brooklyn/queens area. If there is a job in jersey all the 52'ers that live in jersey jump at the opportunity to be on it. And if not, they just continue working in ny. Svu leaving north bergen and going to chelsea piers is only a 10 minute max further commute in the morning
ibew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey