U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 8,386,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
No wonder people are moving as out of NJ as fast as they can. We have a governor who's the same as the past ones.

Nothing but tax and spend.

One day NJ will have 2 classes. Poor and rich.
True but I wish I had him as my company CEO. He's more like a union organizer. I read where he may rescind retirees having to pay for any benefits. Do any of you get free benefits for life?

I'm just marking time in NJ. It's too bad because I like where I live but there are plenty of viable options in the U.S. My day to day quality of living demands more than good pizza, pork rolls and proximity to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 04:36 PM

11,578 posts, read 20,344,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
True but I wish I had him as my company CEO. He's more like a union organizer. I read where he may rescind retirees having to pay for any benefits. Do any of you get free benefits for life?

I'm just marking time in NJ. It's too bad because I like where I live but there are plenty of viable options in the U.S. My day to day quality of living demands more than good pizza, pork rolls and proximity to NYC.

i know this statement is like spitting into the wind with the hostility here, but there have been changes vis-a-vis state employees and their bennies since Corzine, and not for the good of the employee (and, before anyone has a chance to twist my words, i'm not saying they now have a BAD deal).

and, many large private companies DO provide free bennies for life, as long as you meet the magic number.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 PM

4,079 posts, read 7,321,382 times
Default Pension/Health Benefits for Retirees

Due to the Pension Protection Act 2006, most companies are terminating their pension plans because they cannot fully fund them. Last year only 20% of companies had pension plans, and by the end of this year it is expected to be 5%. Of course the state government is exempt from this law. Companies are also reducing or eliminating retiree health benefits, due to the high costs.

NJ teachers after 25 years of teaching do not have to pay for health insurance for themselves and spouse when they retire. Corzine backed down and state employees do not have to contribute towards their health insurance even after they retire (obviously because we the taxpayers are footing the bill). As a retiree, after 25 years, I have to pay $732/month for our health insurance.

I've lived in Jersey my entire life, but in less than a year, I'm out of here.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 1,657,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Due to the Pension Protection Act 2006, most companies are terminating their pension plans because they cannot fully fund them. Last year only 20% of companies had pension plans, and by the end of this year it is expected to be 5%. Of course the state government is exempt from this law. Companies are also reducing or eliminating retiree health benefits, due to the high costs.

NJ teachers after 25 years of teaching do not have to pay for health insurance for themselves and spouse when they retire. Corzine backed down and state employees do not have to contribute towards their health insurance even after they retire (obviously because we the taxpayers are footing the bill). As a retiree, after 25 years, I have to pay $732/month for our health insurance.

I've lived in Jersey my entire life, but in less than a year, I'm out of here.
Very true. (click you a positive).

My brother-in-law one day asked his white big boss why he never wanted to move back to London where he was born and spent many years of life. He said, he was back years ago, and found the whole street is now Indian town.

So, he would settle at NJ, later JP Morgan Chase relocate him down to Tampa FL, and he seems to like it there...

Karen, branch manager of YNB, just told me that she is going to move to Delaware becuase PNC bought YNB, and she may need to go down there. No tax there in Delaware ...

Where are you going to move to anyway? I mean when you move out of NJ ?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 1,657,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Interesting tidbit:

Top 5 states where the tax burden as a percent of income is highest:

1)Maine
2)NY
3)HI
4)RI
5)WI

NJ is 14.
Interesting. (click you a positive).

In fact, ideally may be working at NYC making more money and living in NJ with lower living cost and commute to NYC thru train station?

Or, maybe working at NJ and move over to PA and commute to NJ?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 5,949,834 times
Quote:
Interesting tidbit:

Top 5 states where the tax burden as a percent of income is highest:

1)Maine
2)NY
3)HI
4)RI
5)WI

NJ is 14.
This is only local and state taxes right? Once you add federal in, NJ's burden jumps to #3. Add property taxes and NJ takes its rightful place at #1. Don't even get me started on where NJ ranks with taxes on businesses.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 20,344,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
This is only local and state taxes right? Once you add federal in, NJ's burden jumps to #3. Add property taxes and NJ takes its rightful place at #1. Don't even get me started on where NJ ranks with taxes on businesses.

here's what it includes:

state and local income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, luxury taxes and fuel taxes, among others.

i think a lot of people forget that NJ's state income tax is very low compared to others.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:44 PM

4,976 posts, read 6,167,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Corzine is supposed to be for the people, not sleeping with the unions and karla katz.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM

882 posts, read 2,186,192 times
All States have crooked politicians... it's a prerequisite to becoming a politician in the first place.. You guys didn't' know that?

Regardless, ya'll come on down south.. we're glad to have ya...

Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM

1,346 posts, read 92,405 times
Quote:
here's what it includes:

state and local income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, luxury taxes and fuel taxes, among others.

i think a lot of people forget that NJ's state income tax is very low compared to others.
a top rate of almost 9% is not low by anyone's standards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey