Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

HI everyone,

I am trying to find a good and nice area to find a place, that also is close t transportation to ny side. i have to commute everyday for school to harlem. what are you guys suggesting? i have been looking in areas such as jersey city, newport,edgewater,etc. do you guys suggest a good and safe area that is easy to commute to harlem area? how long dose it usually take to go from one side to another by public transportation ? any help would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 PM

381 posts, read 1,307,217 times
I've commuted irregularly not to Harlem but to 120th St (almost in W Harlem) from Weehawken. Bus to Port Authority, 2/3 subway lines to 96th and then switch to local. I usually got there in an hour, sometimes a bit more. That's excellent for a NJ commute. It's only possible because we have exceptionally frequent buses to NYC in Weehawken. Weehawken is safe, parts of it are pretty, and you can find some reasonable apartments here. (1-BR apts. start around $800 or $900, but no doubt go up to the $2000s.) There's not much to do here but Manhattan is close.

You might also look at the towns that have buses to NYC via the GW bridge, like Fort Lee and Englewood. That might be a quicker way to get to the more northerly parts of Harlem. Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately you have to figure these things out for yourself laboriously using the NJ Transit website, Google map, and searching this forum. Commutes to NYC from everywhere in NJ have been discussed and re-discussed. A search for "Harlem commute" or "west side commute" should turn up some useful stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey