Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM

17 posts, read 48,315 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, really need your help. I'm being relocated to NJ from western NY and my office will be in Woodbridge. My new boss suggested I look for housing in Somerset or Morris counties and I'm looking for suggestions on nice towns for my family, as well as day care as we have a four year old and a one year old. We would like to send the girls to catholic schools, so that would be a plus too. I'm really at a loss and would appreciate any suggestions before I engage a realtor so that we have a little narrower focus than two entire counties. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCFamily View Post
Hi everyone, really need your help. I'm being relocated to NJ from western NY and my office will be in Woodbridge. My new boss suggested I look for housing in Somerset or Morris counties and I'm looking for suggestions on nice towns for my family, as well as day care as we have a four year old and a one year old. We would like to send the girls to catholic schools, so that would be a plus too. I'm really at a loss and would appreciate any suggestions before I engage a realtor so that we have a little narrower focus than two entire counties. Thanks in advance!
As a general statement, looking in Somerset & Morris counties is a great idea. I may be biased, as I live in northern Somerset county. Both counties are made up of what are generally seen as great towns in which to live, with excellent schools, tax rates that are lower than many other places in NJ, reasonable commutability to many places, low crime rates, etc. Do you have any specific questions or limitations, so that some might be able to suggest towns to try, or to avoid?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,429 times
I think that commute would suck coming from Somerset/ Morris County. Just curious why the boss would recommend those counties first? No doubt some very nice areas there but what about considering Middlesex County since work will be in Woodbridge? What is your income, debt, budget and how much house can you afford? These factors greatly will affect what you want vs. what you can afford.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:55 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,043 times
Is Morristown-Beard a Catholic school? I'm pretty sure it's private and I see it near the top of NJ high schools every year. Plus if you live near there (I'd recomend Whippany) you could get on 287 and be in Woodbridge in 30 minutes.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 AM

You guys are the best - thanks for the quick replies. In terms of limitations or specific questions - we're looking for a town that has a nice community feel with working parents and lots of young kids. A town that has a nice center with restaurants, shops, etc, and low crime. Good schools are critical in case I can't find a catholic school for the girls close by. Close proximity to a grocery store would be great, and a decent (30 mins or less) commute to Woodbridge. We're a dual income family, looking in the $500K range for housing (and we'd prefer a single-family home with 3-4 bedrooms rather than apartment unless we can find a townhome with attached garage and no above or below neighbors). I think my boss suggested Somerset and Morris counties based on where other folks in the organization live - no particular bias against Middlesex at all. I have been trying to do as much research as I can and Bridgewater seems like a town that might fit the bill for us - any thoughts? If there's places in Middlesex county I should be looking as well, feel free to put them out there. Twista, I'll check out Whippany...Thanks again so very much!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:31 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,043 times
Keep us updated on what schools and towns you narrow it down to...

Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCFamily View Post
You guys are the best - thanks for the quick replies. In terms of limitations or specific questions - we're looking for a town that has a nice community feel with working parents and lots of young kids. A town that has a nice center with restaurants, shops, etc, and low crime. Good schools are critical in case I can't find a catholic school for the girls close by. Close proximity to a grocery store would be great, and a decent (30 mins or less) commute to Woodbridge. We're a dual income family, looking in the $500K range for housing (and we'd prefer a single-family home with 3-4 bedrooms rather than apartment unless we can find a townhome with attached garage and no above or below neighbors). I think my boss suggested Somerset and Morris counties based on where other folks in the organization live - no particular bias against Middlesex at all. I have been trying to do as much research as I can and Bridgewater seems like a town that might fit the bill for us - any thoughts? If there's places in Middlesex county I should be looking as well, feel free to put them out there. Twista, I'll check out Whippany...Thanks again so very much!!!
Bridgewater is a nice choice. (I happen to live in Martinsville, which is a section of Bridgewater.) It has most of what you are lookin g for, except thre is no real twn center. I think it makes up for that by being conveninet to just about everything. There are several Catholic elementary schools nearby - St. Anns, St. Bernard, and Immaculate conception are the ones that come to mind right away - and the public schools arre very good. Just be aware that your commute will likely be a bit longer than 30 minutes, if you have to commute at the same times as everyone else.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
I think that commute would suck coming from Somerset/ Morris County. Just curious why the boss would recommend those counties first? No doubt some very nice areas there but what about considering Middlesex County since work will be in Woodbridge? What is your income, debt, budget and how much house can you afford? These factors greatly will affect what you want vs. what you can afford.
take it from someone who has done this commute (actually further) for nearly 20 years - the commute is not bad. the reverse is horrendous though.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM

49 posts, read 149,304 times
Hillsborough is nice as well. Plenty of good Catholic schools in the area. In addition to the ones mentioned, there is also Christ the King.
Not sure what grades you are looking into but for high school, there is also Mount St Mary's in Watchung or Villa Walsh in Morristown (I think they start in 7th grade).

Old 07-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Brigsim, thanks so much for the info - we really would like to put the girls through Catholic school, so I'll take a look at Hillsborough too. I never thought I'd be this excited to move to NJ - thanks everyone SO much for your thoughts and comments - this community is the best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey