Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 PM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
You make a good point. Its not all like that in the south, just certain areas. The people on Jersey shore are discustingly vile human beings who should be institutionalized.
I thought most of the people at the Jersey shore are from New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,104,341 times
I haven't been to Charlotte yet but it's hard to miss Jersey in the Raleigh/Durham area when every other person you meet is from there. We love NC and would never go back to NJ. I still commute back and forth until the end of the year. It's not a bad ride (7 hours) if you were to get homesick. My kids have driven up several times to visit friends. Jet Blue has great prices. I've paid anywhere from $10 to $79 to fly. The only devastation here is that people are still moving here from all over so it's hard to keep up. Winter is milder, it's much more relaxed and people are nicer.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,920,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
I haven't been to Charlotte yet but it's hard to miss Jersey in the Raleigh/Durham area when every other person you meet is from there. We love NC and would never go back to NJ. I still commute back and forth until the end of the year. It's not a bad ride (7 hours) if you were to get homesick. My kids have driven up several times to visit friends. Jet Blue has great prices. I've paid anywhere from $10 to $79 to fly. The only devastation here is that people are still moving here from all over so it's hard to keep up. Winter is milder, it's much more relaxed and people are nicer.
The people from Jersey are nicer in NC than they are in NJ?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
The people from Jersey are nicer in NC than they are in NJ?
not only that, but apparently the doors to NC should've shut after this person moved down there. *they* are not a problem, but others moving in are.

"The only devastation here is that people are still moving here from all over"

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM

53 posts, read 202,602 times
I am a 56 year old born and raised in Jersey city and have lived in Hudson county, Morris County and Monmouth County. I also lived in Charlotte for 19 years and unfortunately had to move back to New Jersey due to my company went out of business in Charlotte and found a high paying job on Wall Street.
I laugh at all the closed minded people who think New Jersey is a better place to raise a family and live in than Charlotte or other parts of North Carolina. You are so far off the mark.

Only thing we missed when we were gone was access to our extended families but last time i checked it was a mere 11 hour drive or a 250.00 plane ticket.

There are so many good restaurants including ethic ones as well due to the fact so many people from NJ_NYC area have moved down there. Charlotte has every "High End restaurant" that NJ has and more.

Education- Colleges in NC are far Superior to any in NJ. Duke or Davidson can compare favorably with Princeton any day. Throw in Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, NC State,UNCC, etc.... List goes on.

Private elementary and high schools on par with the private high schools in NJ as well.
There are good public high schools in both states, i might give nj a small edge here.

Beaches-No comparison-NC and SC are superior and you can swim 6 months of the year versus 3 in NJ

Housing- not even close comparison.
Taxes-Don't get me started

Culture-There are so many people from other states living in North Carolina from NJ and Tri-State area in some areas its tough to find locals.

I am not saying NJ is all bad but i have to laugh at why anyone in their right mind would come back to NJ if they could chose between the two. Unless it was to be close to extended family.

Every other comparison has Carolinas as the advantage.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
I am a 56 year old born and raised in Jersey city and have lived in Hudson county, Morris County and Monmouth County. I also lived in Charlotte for 19 years and unfortunately had to move back to New Jersey due to my company went out of business in Charlotte and found a high paying job on Wall Street.
I laugh at all the closed minded people who think New Jersey is a better place to raise a family and live in than Charlotte or other parts of North Carolina. You are so far off the mark.

Only thing we missed when we were gone was access to our extended families but last time i checked it was a mere 11 hour drive or a 250.00 plane ticket.

There are so many good restaurants including ethic ones as well due to the fact so many people from NJ_NYC area have moved down there. Charlotte has every "High End restaurant" that NJ has and more.

Education- Colleges in NC are far Superior to any in NJ. Duke or Davidson can compare favorably with Princeton any day. Throw in Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, NC State,UNCC, etc.... List goes on.

Private elementary and high schools on par with the private high schools in NJ as well.
There are good public high schools in both states, i might give nj a small edge here.

Beaches-No comparison-NC and SC are superior and you can swim 6 months of the year versus 3 in NJ

Housing- not even close comparison.
Taxes-Don't get me started

Culture-There are so many people from other states living in North Carolina from NJ and Tri-State area in some areas its tough to find locals.

I am not saying NJ is all bad but i have to laugh at why anyone in their right mind would come back to NJ if they could chose between the two. Unless it was to be close to extended family.
Every other comparison has Carolinas as the advantage.
or find a high paying job on wall street that you couldn't find in charlotte.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

53 posts, read 202,602 times
Unhappy Jersey versus Charlotte

Tahiti,

I would give up my 300k a year job and 1 hr and 45minute commute tomorrow if i could find a 60k job in Charlotte. Unfortunately when some of us hit 56 years old and have some grey hair people assume we are elderly. What a joke.

Not sure where Bob Kovac references people in Charlotte driving around in pickup trucks and gun racks. Bob, have you ever been in the country side in the Garden State??.

Charlotte has more BMW's, Lexus's, Volvos, Mercedes, Infiniti's than Red Bank and Rumson put together. As the moderator you should have hands on knowledge of subject at hand.

Even though Charlotte revovering from Banking downfall still a great place to raise a family and live. Plenty of ethnic restaurants, and bagels, and matazas, and corned beef, and any other type of food including Indian restaurants.

Wake up New Jersey, why pay all your pension money to the government.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,328,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
Tahiti,

I would give up my 300k a year job and 1 hr and 45minute commute tomorrow if i could find a 60k job in Charlotte. Unfortunately when some of us hit 56 years old and have some grey hair people assume we are elderly. What a joke.

Not sure where Bob Kovac references people in Charlotte driving around in pickup trucks and gun racks. Bob, have you ever been in the country side in the Garden State??.

Charlotte has more BMW's, Lexus's, Volvos, Mercedes, Infiniti's than Red Bank and Rumson put together. As the moderator you should have hands on knowledge of subject at hand.

Even though Charlotte revovering from Banking downfall still a great place to raise a family and live. Plenty of ethnic restaurants, and bagels, and matazas, and corned beef, and any other type of food including Indian restaurants.

Wake up New Jersey, why pay all your pension money to the government.
My comment was in regard to someone else talking about the South as if it was just a bunch of gun-totin' rednecks. I've lived in GA for the past three years, and fully understand that the South is far from that. So yes, I do "have my hands on knowledge of the the subject at hand."

If all you're looking for is $60k/year in Charlotte, and all that's holding you back is some grey hair, why not just get some Grecian Formula and solve all your problems???

Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,256,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yup- because that's all you'll find in the south- nothin' but gun-totin' rednecks driving around in their pickups and waving their confederate flags. Kinda like NJ is nothing but a bunch of orange-skinned, fist-pumping derelicts like on Jersey Shore, right??
Well the only time I see people like THAT in NJ is when they are in a car with a NY license plate.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,328,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well the only time I see people like THAT in NJ is when they are in a car with a NY license plate.
And the only time I see gun-totin' pickup drivin' rednecks in when their plates have county tags from some of the outlying, more rural counties here in GA- no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey