Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And the only time I see gun-totin' pickup drivin' rednecks in when their plates have county tags from some of the outlying, more rural counties here in GA- no different.
Rhetorical question: where is one more likely to spot gun-totin pickup driving rednecks?

a) Cumberland County NJ
b) Gwinnett County GA
c) DeKalb County GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Rhetorical question: where is one more likely to spot gun-totin pickup driving rednecks?

a) Cumberland County NJ
b) Gwinnett County GA
c) DeKalb County GA
Definitely not Dekalb- Dekalb is far too urban/suburbanized. Of the others, I'd say it's a toss-up, though much of Gwinnett is getting built up too. To get to the true redneck-plentiful areas, you've got to get to counties that are outside the "Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta MSA".

Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
Tahiti,

I would give up my 300k a year job and 1 hr and 45minute commute tomorrow if i could find a 60k job in Charlotte. Unfortunately when some of us hit 56 years old and have some grey hair people assume we are elderly. What a joke.

Not sure where Bob Kovac references people in Charlotte driving around in pickup trucks and gun racks. Bob, have you ever been in the country side in the Garden State??.

Charlotte has more BMW's, Lexus's, Volvos, Mercedes, Infiniti's than Red Bank and Rumson put together. As the moderator you should have hands on knowledge of subject at hand.

Even though Charlotte revovering from Banking downfall still a great place to raise a family and live. Plenty of ethnic restaurants, and bagels, and matazas, and corned beef, and any other type of food including Indian restaurants.

Wake up New Jersey, why pay all your pension money to the government.
You couldn't pay me to live in Charlotte. Too much crime. Give me the safe old NJ suburbs anyday...even if it does cost me more to live here. Worth every penny.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Charlotte. Too much crime. Give me the safe old NJ suburbs anyday...even if it does cost me more to live here. Worth every penny.
Yeah, because there's no "safe old NC suburbs".....

Why do people constantly compare a proper city like Charlotte or Atlanta to "the safe old suburbs"? If you want to compare apples to apples, compare Charlotte or Atlanta to Newark or Jersey City, and compare the NJ suburbs to the NC, GA, or whatever state's suburbs.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Charlotte or Atlanta either, just like I wouldn't live in Newark or Jersey City. There are, however, plenty of suburbs surrounding any of those cities that are more than safe enough.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
I think the better question is would someone prefer to live in Duluth Georgia, Davidson North Carolina, or an NJ suburb such as Livingston, and compare these places accordingly. As BobKovacs says, you can't compare downtown Charlotte to Mountain Lakes NJ. These places are incompatible.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yeah, because there's no "safe old NC suburbs".....

Why do people constantly compare a proper city like Charlotte or Atlanta to "the safe old suburbs"? If you want to compare apples to apples, compare Charlotte or Atlanta to Newark or Jersey City, and compare the NJ suburbs to the NC, GA, or whatever state's suburbs.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Charlotte or Atlanta either, just like I wouldn't live in Newark or Jersey City. There are, however, plenty of suburbs surrounding any of those cities that are more than safe enough.

There are also plenty of suburbs of Charlotte that are not in any way safe. Rough and scary I could say. Almost every suburb of NJ is extremly safe.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think the better question is would someone prefer to live in Duluth Georgia, Davidson North Carolina, or an NJ suburb such as Livingston, and compare these places accordingly. As BobKovacs says, you can't compare downtown Charlotte to Mountain Lakes NJ. These places are incompatible.
Did I make that comparison? There are many issues with crime / homeless etc in the suburbs of Charlotte that you simply do not find in the NJ suburbs.

Last edited by Obrero; 07-20-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 PM

13 posts, read 32,973 times
I'm from Jersey,but I currently live in Charlotte.Let me tell some of the differences.Charlotte winters are much milder,it hardly ever snows here.Renting,real estate and taxes are much less.Car insurance is much lower here and traffic isn't nearly as bad here.But New Jersey is my home and I would go back in a heartbeat if I could.The lower cost of living argument doesn't make much sense to me when most people make a lot more in N.J.Being so close to N.Y and Philly.the culture can't be beat.What things are better in N.J?Supermarkets,bakeries,ethnic restaurants,suburbs,cool towns,the beaches are closer,pizza.You could go one day to the beach and towns like Spring Lake,Pt Plesant,Briele,Manasquan,Island Beach State Park.The next day you could go more north to Long Valley,Chester,Mendham the horse country of Oldwick/Tewksbury.You could go sort of south and check out Red Bank,Rumson,across the Oceanic bridge to the mansions of Middletown on River Rd.New Jersey is much better,there's noooooooooo comparison.New Jersey has much more character and personality!There's more to life than the winter is better here!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:25 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,676 times
I do miss my NJ. I moved to Raleigh area in 2007, I just moved out July 1st. I am now in FL. NC is a beautiful State, it's just not for me. I will admit the colleges in NC are great. But, not the grade schools... I would have moved back "Home" but my husband who spent his entire life except the last 3 yrs in Jersey does not ever want to go back. I'm still a licensed NJ hairdresser. I keep renewing my license because I know someday I'll be back.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM

53 posts, read 202,849 times
Cool Charlotte-NJ Crime

Stop the insanity comparing NJ and Charlotte to Crime. Not even close!!!
Read the Jersey Journal lately sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey