Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
I recognize a couple of "you guys" on this thread. LOL.

The spouse and I relocated six years ago from NJ to NC. While there are good and bad to each area, overall NC was still the best choice. Who the hell can afford the property taxes in NJ? It's insane. If you are lower middle to middle class, you cannot afford to retire in NJ. And you get to a certain point and age, where the cold winters in NW NJ are just too much. The traffic/commute on Route 80 every day is a friggin nightmare. NC Natives here that complain about traffic, have no idea. At least the traffic here MOVES in the morning.

Yeah, you miss a lot of stuff (Italian bread, delis, etc.), some of which you can get here, you just have to know where to go. And there is more bigotry and racism here, you'll have to trust me on that one. Like ssd3, we reside in Lincoln County, and there are good and bad points to the area. There is no Nirvana. Even if we could afford to go back, we wouldn't, we probably would head out West. Overall, pros and cons, NC is still the better choice than NJ.
Hey Jim!

I'm about 20 miles down the road from you in Kings Mountain, about 2 miles across the border into Cleveland County. (You know that from the Charlotte board, but most here don't know.) I came down from South Jersey, so I think it's less culture shock for me. You're right, there's pros & cons to both, & it's just a matter of figuring out which is better for you, individually. Some things you have to hunt for, but you can find almost everything here.

I've told friends & family that the only way I'm going back is if South Jersey finally separates. If something were to draw me back to the Philadelphia area, I'd stop in Delaware. Oddly enough, they're all looking at the Delaware to NC corridor for a place to bail out to, now. I doubt, in a few years, if any of them will still be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,418 times
I am from New Jersey, but I do love it here in the suburbs of Charlotte. I love the change of seasons, but I do not miss the Winter in New Jersey. I like it that in the dead of winter at 5:30, it is just beginning to get dark here; in New JErsey by 4:30 p.m. it is dark already. Very depressing. The people are very nice, not all gun-totin'; nor rednecks, (what a stereotype) the food and restaurants are very good, and getting better all the time. I do miss living 5 minutes from the Ocean, but I don't miss worrying about hurricanes destroying my property. I have more money to spend and save here. Would I move back, nope.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Originally Posted by BobKovacs
Yup- because that's all you'll find in the south- nothin' but gun-totin' rednecks driving around in their pickups and waving their confederate flags. Kinda like NJ is nothing but a bunch of orange-skinned, fist-pumping derelicts like on Jersey Shore, right??

Hahaha. perfect example of the ignorance in the south.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,842 times
someone made the point about home... a new place can be great and have lots of positives, but it would take years to have a place feel like home. NY/NJ has the best food, so much to do, and also very honest people...

Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
It's funny how there are quite a few people who relocate from NJ to NC. I really don't find too many similarities between the two other then both are coastal states.

I was in Raleigh, NC for a wedding this past summer. The houses in the Raleigh suburbs were quite beautiful, but I found a lot of the locals to be stuck up and unwelcoming. Not that people in NJ are much more welcoming (generally they aren't) however I was expecting some form of southern hospitality. I couldn't imagine Charlotte being that much better.

Compare this to Colorado where I was last week in Denver and Vail -- the locals actually enjoy getting involved in conversation. A lot of them have the same opinion I do of NYC: nice to visit but would die living and working there.

Oh and no comparison of beach life either. You'd be a dummy to think that NJ beaches are better than North Carolina.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It's funny how there are quite a few people who relocate from NJ to NC. I really don't find too many similarities between the two other then both are coastal states.

I was in Raleigh, NC for a wedding this past summer. The houses in the Raleigh suburbs were quite beautiful, but I found a lot of the locals to be stuck up and unwelcoming. Not that people in NJ are much more welcoming (generally they aren't) however I was expecting some form of southern hospitality. I couldn't imagine Charlotte being that much better.

Compare this to Colorado where I was last week in Denver and Vail -- the locals actually enjoy getting involved in conversation. A lot of them have the same opinion I do of NYC: nice to visit but would die living and working there.

Oh and no comparison of beach life either. You'd be a dummy to think that NJ beaches are better than North Carolina.
I would take LBI any day over kitty hawk, nags head or KDH.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Well you would also take the Jersey Shore over Aruba, which is asinine.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Ditto. The Outer Banks are nice, but overrated IMO.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Wow, "dummy" seems pretty harsh, especially considering "better" is in the eye of the beholder.
I like having the boardwalk and the rides in the background when I'm on the beach.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM

312 posts, read 685,813 times
I think North Carolina beaches are physically nicer than those in NJ. The water is a nice blue/green as opposed to murky brown. However, the culture is completely different. There are no real boardwalks along the beaches in NC. it is much more laid back there. For some this may be desirable, for others, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey